Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-04-2015, 17:10   #16

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Furlex tight to furl

The recommended method is to loosen the halyard when furled and tension for sailing conditions. The angle of the halyard would negate the possibility of wrap even if a bit loose.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.

Old 27-04-2015, 17:27   #17

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhwins View Post
When I had this problem, it was that the halyard wrapped around the forestay. This occurs when they run parallel with one another. Proper set-up is to have the halyard come in from below the forestay at around 5 degrees to the forestay. I had to add a block to the front of the mast and the problem never reoccurred. Cost less than $100.
The solution to this issue is to fit a strop to the top of the jib. It should be long enough to position the top of the jib luff around 9" below the maximum hoist position before you start tensioning during sailing. The idea is to have the max luff tension position about 4" below the max available. Experiment a little using old rope and bowlines to get the correct length.

This will stop your halyard from wrapping around the forestay.

Old 28-04-2015, 05:30   #18

Boat: Stevens 47

I just serviced the two Furlex units on my Stevens 47. Mine are earlier models than your 400s, but the basic architecture is the same. There are bearings in the bottom unit, which carries the whole weight of the foils and which must turn freely for the furler to work properly. These bearings, as well as those of the upper swivel, must be cleaned and greased periodically (at least once a year).

So, did you grease the lower bearings as well as the halyard swivel bearings?

Greasing the upper swivel is easy. Spray some brake clean in the bearings while spinning the swivel and then grease them with furlex grease.

The lower unit is much more difficult. There are two bearings. See the manual on the Selden website for instructions on greasing them. If they're anything like the bearings on my units, it'll be a bit tough. The lower one is pretty easy to get to: it's on the bottom, just above the stayloc terminal. Clean the bearing with brake clean and do your best to force grease into the bearing. For the upper bearing, pump grease into the hole "A" and hope for the best.

If greasing the lower unit bearings doesn't solve your problem, the entire lower unit can be disassembled and the bearings replaced, but the parts are expensive and it's a lot of work. You'll have to pull the headstay out of the foil to do it, and you'll have to replace the wire when you do so. If you have to go to all that work and expense, IMHO, you'd be better off buying a Harken furler. It's a much better design: more reliable and NO grease!
Old 28-04-2015, 07:37   #19

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

Many thanks to All for advices.. The bearings cleaned snd greased. Inspected the top...no haliyard rap..will try to tighten the forestay...it seems like the rope gives friction inside of the tube
Old 28-04-2015, 08:09   #20

Boat: H36

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
Many thanks to All for advices.. The bearings cleaned snd greased. Inspected the top...no haliyard rap..will try to tighten the forestay...it seems like the rope gives friction inside of the tube
Spray the rope McLube.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-04-2015, 13:06   #21

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Here is my view. Hayward wrap is one of the most common causes of tight or difficulty when furling. All furling bearings wear with age, but you don't always have to replace them. Try this it worked for me, add a short piece of LINE to the tack. This Will allow the Hayward to go higher altering the angle the Hayward enters masthead block at. You will need to experiment with the length of LINE at the tack and also the Hayward tension. Too much tension will cause the top bearing to lock causing Hayward wrap. When you get it right the sail will furl easily and the luff will not sag
Old 28-04-2015, 16:22   #22

He didn't really report halyard wrap. Wonder what his issue turned out to be?

Old 29-04-2015, 20:45   #23

Many thanks to all advisors...really appreciate the help...but the best advise was to contact the Selden help line... The guy called Scott looked at the picture I made at the top and came back with decision:" you guys have the luff extrusion slewed down by the rope...so,it seats inside the lower swivel now,makes it impossible to furl. This is because of two Allen screws were fixed incorrectly". So, the luff extrusion(this is how Selden calls the tube sail furls arround of) is lifted about a foot;Allen screws are fitted on place. Bearings greased. Sail is up! And the Furlex works as new!" Half an hour job ... but...few days ago at the bumpy sea and 6 wind ... 3 strong sailors were not able to solve it...Good lesson!
Old 30-04-2015, 07:54   #24

Boat: Able 50

While you are active with that part of the boat it would still be a good idea to grease the lower bearings.
Old 30-04-2015, 07:58   #25

Bearings are greased
Old 30-04-2015, 09:38   #26

After my lady lost control of the furling line of my partially furled 150 Genoa in high winds I added a small winch. While it almost never see's a handle, it takes a lot of load off of the crew.

The danger of having the winch is in situations like yours where the furler could be damaged if dealing with mechanical causes.

The nice thing about the winch is the ability to hold moderate pressure and still tightly furl easily as pressure from the wind eases.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: