Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-01-2013, 12:08   #1

Boat: Van der stadt, Offshore 8, 26fot
Furler sails

Ahoy.

I'm just woundering. Is there realy a difference on a furler sail and a standard genoa?

I am woundering to buy a furlex system but don't want to buy a new expensive sail.

SY-Headwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: Furler sails

If you don't have the right sail the furler will damage the sail, especially at the tape where is bends around the extrusion.

My Furlex (300) sail has the padded luff to cushion that effect.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 13:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY-Headwind View Post
Ahoy.

I'm just woundering. Is there realy a difference on a furler sail and a standard genoa?

I am woundering to buy a furlex system but don't want to buy a new expensive sail.
Yes. A furling sail will have sewn covers for the foot and leech to protect against UV light when the sail is furled. Also, the luff requires a luff tape which enables the sail to slide inside the furling extrusion when hoisted. Some sails can be retrofitted. This may save money if the sail is in really good condition. Be aware that some "standard" genoa sails are cut which much lower clews. This would necessitate a recut so that the sail furls properly. This would be an added expense. You just have to weigh the difference between a new purpose built sail, the condition of your existing sail, and the cost to retrofit covers, luff tape and a possible recut.
Old 07-01-2013, 16:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If you don't have the right sail the furler will damage the sail, especially at the tape where is bends around the extrusion.

My Furlex (300) sail has the padded luff to cushion that effect.
Actually, you will find that the pad is meant to improve the shape of the partially reefed sail, not to protect the luff tape. Many furling sails have been built sans padding (my staysail for one) and their tapes survive just fine.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-01-2013, 00:57   #5

Great feedback. Thanks a million.
Old 08-01-2013, 17:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

On a 26' boat I would not want a furler. On a rig that size, hank on sails are pretty easy to work with. To answer your question, there are a number of differences in the design and construction of a furling sail as opposed to hank-on. While you can convert a hank-on for use with a furler by adding luff tape and suncover (or using a genoa sleeve), it's still not a proper furling headsail. In many cases it's going to be too lightly constructed and too long on the luff. Of course since we sailmakers make more money on converting the sail than we do selling you a new one, conversions are popular. 90% of the time, a new sail is a better choice.
Old 08-01-2013, 23:11   #7

As I agree that it's pretty easy to work with the sails on a 26fot'er there is great benefits from havin' a furler as I sail alot alone aswell as with my girlfriend. Manytimes sailing alone and just hopping from one island to the other I usualy doesen't bother hanking on a fokk or a genoa and just sail on my main. Could you also elaborate on what you mean that it would be to lightly constructed? I would belive that you will distribute the løoad more even over the sheet than it is due to the hank on system that gives you more stress on points.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:43   #8

Quote:
As I agree that it's pretty easy to work with the sails on a 26fot'er there is great benefits from havin' a furler as I sail alot alone aswell as with my girlfriend. Manytimes sailing alone and just hopping from one island to the other I usualy doesen't bother hanking on a fokk or a genoa and just sail on my main. Could you also elaborate on what you mean that it would be to lightly constructed? I would belive that you will distribute the løoad more even over the sheet than it is due to the hank on system that gives you more stress on points.
Sails are are built and optimized according to how they are used. For light air one would choose a lighter fabric. For heavier air a heavier fabric. Also, some purpose built sails could be flatter or fuller. A fuller or more cambered sail might not make the best choice for a refit. True, hanks offer more stress points but when properly hoisted that effect disappears. Depending on your type of sailing the benefit of a furling system might outweigh the benefit of several sails built for different conditions. From what you say, a furling system appears to be the best choice for you
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06   #9

Thanks for the answer Tar34. However; when it comes to sail types that was never the issue here. I had a rather specific question. And telling me that there are different types of sails is a little strange? another thing is tho I see your point with the hank on that when the sail is properly hoisted the effect is less than if it isn't done right. Tho, the effect does not disapear. The points of stress will take more or less strain after the condition's of the wind regardless. Last; yes a good allround furler would be preferable however my question still stands. Is there a real difference on a purpose built sale and a hank on sail of the same type? Islandplanet was talking about a cushon effect I would like him to tell me more about. And yes.... the means of attachment is apparent to me.

Cheers!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:18   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the answer Tar34. However; when it comes to sail types that was never the issue here. I had a rather specific question. And telling me that there are different types of sails is a little strange? another thing is tho I see your point with the hank on that when the sail is properly hoisted the effect is less than if it isn't done right. Tho, the effect does not disapear. The points of stress will take more or less strain after the condition's of the wind regardless. Last; yes a good allround furler would be preferable however my question still stands. Is there a real difference on a purpose built sale and a hank on sail of the same type? Islandplanet was talking about a cushon effect I would like him to tell me more about. And yes.... the means of attachment is apparent to me.

Cheers!
I think what you are asking about is what we call a "foam luff". A strip of tapered foam is added behind the leading edge of the sail; wider in the middle and tapered towards the head and tack of the sail. What this does is when the sail is furled, the fuller more highly cambered middle of the sail is furled evenly with the rest of the sail. A furling sail generally flatter and always has a higher clew to eliminate furling issues lower in the sail. The fabric is the same, light, heavy or composite. The furling sail will have UV covers along the foot and leech. Pressed rings of sewn webbing for attachment point are the same. I think that covers everything. Also, they can be cross cut, or radial stepped construction. They are also built to customary LP specs whether 100% or 155% of the J measurement.
Old 10-01-2013, 13:23   #11

I see. So the verdict is: No, there are no big specific differences to a furling sail and a ordenary sail of the same type if you take away waht you need to get it furled'. Thanks Tar34.
Old 14-01-2013, 10:16   #12

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

No big differences. As a sail designer there are differences. i.e. corner patch design, luff hollow, overall camber, cloth weight. But your average sailor wouldn't notice any of that.

If you have a sailmaker who can do the conversion and a good condition hank on sail its quite feasible.

Tags
furler, sails

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: