Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 02:45   #1

Freestanding Mast Suppliers

I am considering going with a freestanding mast for my aluminum boat refit project.

Has anyone used a mast from goldspar.com.au? I see they have profiles in the 40' and 50' range, which would be a good fit. I'm not really familiar with their manufacturing process, but they did say something about the masts being "spun mandrills" with an inherent limitation of about 250mm diameter.

I would be interested in learning of other suppliers, but I am trying to stay away from carbon fiber (wouldn't be opposed to a aluminum-carbon hybrid as long as the carbon was on the inside away from the sun).
anontrolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Freestanding Mast Suppliers

I'd check with Eric Sponberg to see if he is familiar with Australian manufacturers. We're going to be building a main for a boat that has a really interesting freestanding mast that Eric designed.
Here's his website - Sponberg Yacht Design Inc.
And if anyone is curious about the project - Copernicus
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 15:20   #3

While doing some research.....I ran across some information about a free standing mast supplier in Canada. They are a one off manufacturer.

They do spun aluminum masts, but I can't find the information.......

I'll try to find it. But as I understand it. They are very expensive.

James L
Old 15-11-2012, 15:29   #4

IF it's an aluminum one, it probably means the taper is accomplished by spinning a tube on a hard mandrel using a roller on the outside, which lengthens the tube and tapers it to the shape of the mandrel. Commonly done in aero space parts or gold mining pans etc! Has lost favor in aerospace due to the poor stress performance of spinning.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 15:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
IF it's an aluminum one, it probably means the taper is accomplished by spinning a tube on a hard mandrel using a roller on the outside, which lengthens the tube and tapers it to the shape of the mandrel. Commonly done in aero space parts or gold mining pans etc! Has lost favor in aerospace due to the poor stress performance of spinning.
The name was Klacko but I'm not sure they still make the spar.

As for a a spun mast and aero space parts. They still make them. Now the tempering process is much better controlled.

Basically most of the aluminum masts were constructed identical to aluminum flag or light poles. Which are not ideal due to the shape.

James L

Tags
mast