Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2010, 12:48   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Forestay Breaking

My forestay is stainless steel cable and one of the wires broke and unravled.

Is it normal top expect more wires to fail? Should I replace the stay and what about the other stays of the boat?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 13:01   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
yes. standing rigging should be replaced every ten years or so, depending on the type of rigging and the type of use it gets.

If the forestay has failed, The shrouds and backstay should be considered strongly suspect. If it were my boat, I'd be ordering the replacements tomorrow.
Old 16-05-2010, 13:55   #3

By replacing rigging every 10 years, does this include the turnbuckles and everything, or just the cables? Any idea of where to order replacements for cheapest?
Old 16-05-2010, 13:58   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Yep, it seems ready to fail, feel free to make the jib halyard a temp forestay to help take the load off it until you can get a replacement.
Erika
Old 16-05-2010, 14:22   #5
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
By replacing rigging every 10 years, does this include the turnbuckles and everything, or just the cables? Any idea of where to order replacements for cheapest?
most riggers consider the turnbuckles to be the weak link.

Best place to get standing rigging is from a rigging shop. This is the one place you really don't want to cut corners.
Old 16-05-2010, 14:39   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
That is a great point Bash. As I am also in the process of replacing my rigging I was wondering if there is a brand of cable considered high quality? LOOS and Worldwide is sold here in the states.
Erika
Old 16-05-2010, 14:41   #7

I would have fashioned a temporary stay (or two) and had a spare on order before I even typed the post to ask questions. No joke, you need to get that thing switched out ASAP. Busted standing rigging violates the three core rules (water out, you in, stick in the air).

We took our spar off a year ago and had a lot of work done. Some of the costs are here if you want to see them (check the 10/30/2009 time frame):

Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Expenses & Costs
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 15:15   #8
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
That is a great point Bash. As I am also in the process of replacing my rigging I was wondering if there is a brand of cable considered high quality? LOOS and Worldwide is sold here in the states.
Erika
I've been using Navtek. I think they've been purchased by Lewmar.
Old 16-05-2010, 16:03   #9

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
I believe that most people do not replace the turnbuckles, as the swage (or corrosion just inside of the swage) is often condsidered the weak link.

It may depend on the type of Navtec turnbuckles you have.. but..with mine (which were the type where the top swaged part is a half turnbuckle, which connects to a double ended threaded rod, then another half turnbuckle on the bottom) it was cheaper to replace each shroud, including a new turnbuckle, than it would have been to just get new wire and the upper swaged, half turnbuckle part. They are ridiculously expensive.

Take it to a couple of rigging shops and get quotes. I paid about $700 for 2 new upper shrouds and 2 new lower shrouds, including turnbuckles, for my 30'er. I had already replaced the Forestay and backstay last year, to be proactive, as they were all 30 years old (only used 4 months / year though, in a Northern climate).

Put a couple of turns of masking tape on the threaded parts, next to the turnbuckles, before loosening, so it marks how long it needs to be, when properly adjusted, before loosening it off for removal.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 17:06   #10

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
most riggers consider the turnbuckles to be the weak link.
Who told you that?
There is always a weak link, but it isn't always, or even usually the turnbuckle. Unless of course, they are closed body stainless turnbuckles or NavTec stainless turnbuckles.

Seriously, if you have broken strands, and the rigging is all of the same age. It should all be replaced. If your turnbuckles are bronze open body type, they can most likely be reused.
Your chainplates are of more concern. I've seen more failed chainplates than I've seen failed swage fittings or 1x19 wire.
Noreaster is right about the Navtec turnbuckles. If you have them. Get rid of them. Not only are they expensive, but they are a poor design. They fail at least twice as often as conventional turnbuckles.
Old 16-05-2010, 17:23   #11

I already rigged the spinnaker halyard as a backup right away. I have a detachable inner forestay that I can probably rig to the front of the boat as well.

I do not know if the rigging is all the same age, but it probably is. It does not seem rusty.. I am wondering if the forestay broke a strand because of hank-on jibs.

I am considering using spectra for rigging because it would be cheaper and I could do everything myself. I suppose the forestay would still need to be stainless? The worry I have is it is easy to cut by accident

I am in santa cruz california, maybe I should sail down the coast to get cheaper rigging deals.
Old 16-05-2010, 17:53   #12

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
I already rigged the spinnaker halyard as a backup right away. I have a detachable inner forestay that I can probably rig to the front of the boat as well.

I do not know if the rigging is all the same age, but it probably is. It does not seem rusty.. I am wondering if the forestay broke a strand because of hank-on jibs.

I am considering using spectra for rigging because it would be cheaper and I could do everything myself. I suppose the forestay would still need to be stainless? The worry I have is it is easy to cut by accident

I am in santa cruz california, maybe I should sail down the coast to get cheaper rigging deals.
You could do everything yourself if you went with mechanical fittings. (Staylok is my choice)
I doubt that going with Spectra or high tech rigging would be cheaper. Even if you could do it yourself.

If you want to get it done for the least amount of money. Then get the stick pulled, coil up the shrouds and stays and send them off to a rigging shop and have them duplicated.
I would be happy to make them up for you. Let me know.
Old 16-05-2010, 19:06   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aren't you glad you don't have rod rigging? Old bronze open barrel turnbuckles will last longer than you will if they don't turn red.
regards,
Old 16-05-2010, 21:40   #14
CF Adviser

a good source on how to inspect your own rigging

BoatUS.com - Seaworthy Magazine
Old 17-05-2010, 08:40   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I had a furler drum failure last year on my 26 footer. The forestay from Selden was $450 with attaching hardware in March 2009. It is a fixed length forestay so no turnbuckles.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote