Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 10:58   #1

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Forestay Advice Needed

Need to detach the forestay at the stem to install a new continuous loop furling line on my Newport 28. The turnbuckle on the split backstay must be 12' above the cockpit so I can't reach it to loosen. Using the jib halyard , should I be able to get enough slack in the forestay to remove it without adjusting the backstay turnbuckle? I'm thinking a 1/2" would give me enough working slack to remove the pin, but not sure if the halyard and winch could tension it enough. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:06   #2

Re: forestay advice needed

Most likely yes. Attach the halyard to the bow roller or something substantial, not the pulpit! Use two halyards (spinnaker and jib) If that doesnt do it, you could put in a block and get more purchase, but why not bring down a lightweight ladder to get at that aft turnbuckle if needed? You cant access the forward turnbuckle?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:16   #3

If there is a forward turnbuckle, it is hidden under the furling foil. Furler installation drawings and owners manual do not show a forestay turnbuckle, but there might be one. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 18-09-2011, 11:23   #4

I imagine you can get it off, question is will there be enough slack to get it back on!

Old 18-09-2011, 11:29   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Why don't you get in a harness, clip yourself to the back stay and then get hoisted up the twelve feet so you can adjust the turnbuckle? Using a halyard to tighten the forestay sounds a bit hacky to me.
Old 18-09-2011, 11:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: forestay advice needed

Whats wrong with just slackening the two bottle screws at the ends of the split... just mark where they are tightened to... let out an inch..if you've got it then use the halyard to tilt forward... piece of cake... no ladders/bosuns chairs etc...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:47   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Need to detach the forestay at the stem to install a new continuous loop furling line on my Newport 28. The turnbuckle on the split backstay must be 12' above the cockpit so I can't reach it to loosen. Using the jib halyard , should I be able to get enough slack in the forestay to remove it without adjusting the backstay turnbuckle? I'm thinking a 1/2" would give me enough working slack to remove the pin, but not sure if the halyard and winch could tension it enough. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
If your backstay turnbuckle is, in fact, "...12' above the cockpit so I can't reach it..." that's a pretty foolish arrangement considering that one needs access to turnbuckles to be able to adjust one's rig/mast, no? As you are working on your forestay, it might be wise to correct both your forward and aft stays at the same time.

Edit: Looking at the photo's I've been able to find of Newport 28's, in fact, the back-stay appears to be split at some height above the deck (to provide headroom at the aft end of the cockpit). Given that, there should be smaller turnbuckles on eith leg of the split at the combing level.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:30   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

What when the halyard snaps? ;-)

I do it like this:
- tension any line between the masttop and the stem,
- run another line on a shackle, freefloating along the first one, the other end of same onto a winch,
-grind,
-pronto!

Always use some sort of back-up - just in case the tensioning lines snap!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Whats wrong with just slackening the two bottle screws at the ends of the split... just mark where they are tightened to... let out an inch..if you've got it then use the halyard to tilt forward... piece of cake... no ladders/bosuns chairs etc...
well, i dont know what "bottle screws" are, but assuming they are screw adjustments,evidently he doesnt have them!

Old 18-09-2011, 16:56   #10

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
If you don't loosen the backstay, the only way you'll take enough tension off the forestay to pull the pin will be to bend the mast. If you have lowers, loosening the forwards will help, but you'll need to apply a lot of force with your halyards to bend it -- good luck.

I'd just climb up and loosen the backstay. A lot less trouble.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:44   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Forestay Advice Needed

BOTTLE SCREWS- BRITISH

TURNBUCKLES- AMERICAN
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 19:22   #12

Boat: S & S 43'

Are you sure it is a turnbuckle up there? Maybe it's an insulator.
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:30   #13

Thanks for all the great ideas. To clarify, there are no turnbuckles on the lower part of the split backstay, the only backstay turnbuckle is about 12' above the cockpit, located above the split backstay. I hope there is a turnbuckle near the bottom of the forestay that I can expose by raising the furling foil a bit, seems like there should be one. Based on your advice, if there is no forestay turnbuckle, I'll use a halyard to see if I can get enough slack to get the lower forestay pin out (& back in) and if not, use a ladder in the cockpit to loosen the backstay turnbuckle. I know it is a simple rig, but running by the forum forst yielded some good ideas. Thanks!
Old 19-09-2011, 05:52   #14

Boat: Pearson 385

If you have to tap on the pin, at the forestay, to get it out...... DON'T DO IT. You will never get it back in. If you can pull the pin out with your fingers you will be fine. If you have to tap it out, there is still too much tension on it.

Richard
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 06:06   #15

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
well, i dont know what "bottle screws" are, but assuming they are screw adjustments,evidently he doesnt have them!
That's English for "turnbuckle". Also sometimes called "rigging screws".

Fabbian
fgd3 is online now   Reply With Quote