Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 17:55   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Folding Pad Eye for Gennaker Block Mounting

My goof on the Code 0 comment. As to padeyes, Wichard makes several with a much higher working load than those mentioned in this thread. And Harken & other companies make ones that are strong enough to lift your boat with (23t non-custom, & larger custom ones). Assuming they're properly mounted of course.

I'm not sure what size boat you're trying to spec' hardware for, & knowing as much would enable some pretty fair guesses as to sail areas. Especially if the rig configuration is stated. Particularly if you know the dimensions of the sail triangles, or a passable guess at the hoist & foot measurements. As there's a world of difference between a 40' mono & a 56' cat.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:03   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I couldn't find a HR rated one so got the largest standard wichard. Mostly I'm concerned about the mounting which probably can't be figured out on line.

The size of my boat is listed in my avatar details.
Old 18-10-2017, 08:05   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I couldn't find a HR rated one so got the largest standard wichard. Mostly I'm concerned about the mounting which probably can't be figured out on line.

The size of my boat is listed in my avatar details.
In the real world will you break a padeye rated at 4t with your spin, probably not. Though given the size of the sail you'll certainly be pushing said padeye pretty hard at times. As in perhaps near it's WLL. Since a spinnaker on your boat is likely to be at least double the size of one on a 40' mono, if not bigger. Depends on the I & J measurements used to build the kite. And how often you go shrimping. BTW, when you state 14mm tackline, what kind of line are you talking about? As it's strength in relation to that of the padeye is definitely a factor.

Bottom line, were it me, I'd want something stronger. Since there will be times when the padeye is used for other things than just flying the kite. So the loads, especially shock loads, could be pretty high. Like say a dockline, or bridle.
Though again, at a certain point it'll also come down to how strong the structure is that the padeye's attached to. Meaning the bows of your boat. Something which I can't comment on, not having 1st-hand familiarity with that design.

I'm not trying to criticize, but I'm not sure why Wichard folding padeyes seem so popular with the cruising crowd & on this forum. As you can get a fixed padeye that's a bleep of a lot stronger, for far less money. And there are a lot of reputable hardware makers out there which produce quality products for less. It's not that I dislike Wichard, but sometimes you're paying as much for the name as the product, if not more.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 08:27   #19

Yes aluminum backing plate is fine. I just use 5200 liberally on the interface, it conforms to the rough surface and gets fairly hard when set up, while sealing any potential leaks..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 14:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes aluminum backing plate is fine. I just use 5200 liberally on the interface, it conforms to the rough surface and gets fairly hard when set up, while sealing any potential leaks..
I was hoping that would be an option
Old 23-10-2017, 17:57   #21

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Suggestions: Look at Ropeye as an alternative solution. Use the pad eye or Ropeye to mount a block that swivels instead of running tack/sheets directly through pad eye or Ropeye.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 06:22   #22

While I didn't start this thread, I appreciate all of you who offered me advice on the pad eye install. For my application, which was adding a tack point attachment for my Asym, I've decided to do nothing. After thinking about it, my main cross beam is attached about 2' inboard from where I would have added the pad eyes and is a bomb proof connection point. I'm going to just make a loop around it with heavy line and chafe protection then use a snatch block for the tack line. Simple and free.

Tags
gennaker