Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2019, 16:56   #1

Boat: Colegate 26
Flags on the boom lift

When our solar panel rack was installed on the stern they had to remove our ensign mount. I've been flying our (sadly tattered) USA flag on the port spreader, but I'd like to fly our newer larger USA flag from the boom lift. What is the best way to accomplish this?

My first thought was to use a secondary line clipped end to end with the boom lift. Then I thought to leave the boom lift as is and attach the flag with rolling hitches to it. I don't think I like either of these.

There's probably a better way, surely?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 17:46   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Flags on the boom lift

Attach to back stay?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 17:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

The problem with using the topping lift is that you would then need it taut all the time.
Your ensign is also likely block your solar panels to some extent.

FWIW, I rig the ensign between the underside of my solar panel rack and the dinghy davits
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 17:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Attach to back stay?

He's on a cat - FP Orana. No backstay.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 20:16   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
When our solar panel rack was installed on the stern they had to remove our ensign mount. I've been flying our (sadly tattered) USA flag on the port spreader, but I'd like to fly our newer larger USA flag from the boom lift. What is the best way to accomplish this?

My first thought was to use a secondary line clipped end to end with the boom lift. Then I thought to leave the boom lift as is and attach the flag with rolling hitches to it. I don't think I like either of these.

There's probably a better way, surely?
If the preceding advice doesn’t suit just change it to the starboard spreader. The port side is secondary when it comes to displaying a flag.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 21:51   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I wouldn't do that, the starboard spreader is for your courtesy flag in foreign countries, and whatever club affiliations you choose to display.

He could have a fitting made for the stern rail, to accept a varnished timber pole.

Also, i have seen national flags displayed by hanging under the solar panel arch, using a lead weight to keep the fly taut. I don't know how that works in a seaway, never tried it ourselves.

Ann
Old 13-03-2019, 21:58   #7

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

On a schooner I know (no backstay, overhanging boom, bermudan sail), a block is attached 2/3 of the way up the topping lift, and a cleat on the end of the boom. The flag is hoisted on that flag halyard.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 08:43   #8

Boat: Tartan, 4600, 46'

I installed a block high on the backstay and then a cleat at the base. The problem I ran into was that the SSB antenna on the backstay had a tendency to foul the flag halyard and made it difficult (impossible) to lower the flag. In nice easy (soft wind) days, no problem, but with higher winds, and lots of wind changes, the halyard just couldn't be freed.
I moved back to a short pole on the sternrail.
JaaaPeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 08:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
If the preceding advice doesn’t suit just change it to the starboard spreader. The port side is secondary when it comes to displaying a flag.
Strictly speaking, if you want to follow the flag etiquette, you should not fly the US Flag from either spreaders. Also, you should not fly the US Flag after sunset (although many people do).

One can certainly choose to disregard the flag etiquette, but for the US Flag is probably a good idea to stick to it, since it is the one rule that a lot of people know and notice. Not following the rule can be misinterpreted as disrespect for the flag, which is certainly not the intention.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 09:02   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

We do not haul in our ensign during the night yet.

It is attached on the support pole for the solar arch aft port and very well visible. The original pole is simply not well visible when the dingy is up on the davits.

But maybe we will enjoy a flag ceremony each evening before the sun downers and also fire a cannon shot to greet the flag, then blow the trumpet in the morning when rising the flag again. Who knows? Guess we'll make then friends quickly on the anchorage.

Old 14-03-2019, 11:55   #11

If anchored or moored to a buoy, let her fly.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:22   #12

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Your country flag should never be flown from any spreader, certainly not the Stb. one, the flag should be flown from the STB.side on the cap rail at the transom, under sail, it can be flown from the toping lift, about 1/3 rd, down from the top of the sail, some Main Scooners sew the flag to the sail so its only being flown , when under sail, at anchor, the flag should be only flown from the STB. aft/transom.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:34   #13

Get a ladder or get high up on the back stay, lash a 1” as ring there with waxed thread. Thread a 1/8 line thru and down to the lower lashed rung and voila you have a halyard for your ensign. Works well and last a long time.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 13:18   #14

I'd go with attaching a block and short halyard to the topping lift and a cleat on the boom.

Picture below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download (5).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	188008  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 06:29   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Just so you have an official reference see below taken from “Yachting Signal Book” by JR Collier. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	188216Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1033.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	188217
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags, lift