Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 12:03   #1

Boat: Pearson Renegade 27
First time sail repair

Need to repair a 2ft tear in my jib. Judgind by the previous repairs, it looks like some kind of adhesive or tape (double sided?) was used under patch because the patches are nice and stuck throughout. Any advice on what to use/where to find the 'glue'?
Renegade132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:19   #2

Re: First time sail repair

Take it and have it stitched, because it's obvious from your "previous repairs" remark that the aforementioned repairs aren't working....
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:36   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

That material you see may be "spinnaker tape", available at marine supply stores and sailmakers. Lay the fabric out flat, with the torn edges trimmed of ragged threads, cut the tape to length, lay on the tear and press down with your palm, flip it over and repeat. It's a good temporary patch, but won't hold up to heavy abuse or long term service. But it works great until you can pull out the Sailright or get it to the sailmaker. I keep a roll in my bos'n's locker.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:55   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Spinnaker tape is very light weight. We carry some of that, but also carry some bulk polyester that is sticky-backed and somewhat heavier duty, as in more suitable for a headsail.

To the OP: be aware that sailcloth does eventually deteriorate from ultra-violet exposure. Sometimes it's not worth it to re-sew; if it's "rotten", it'll just tear along the stitches, often at an inconvenient moment. Someone with experience (like a sailmaker) can tell you whether the sail's worth repairing. You can usually trust them 'cause their reputation's on the line.

Ann
Old 30-06-2013, 13:13   #5

Thanks for the advice. I am looking to sew a patch on the sail and found on another thread that they used contact adhesive under the patch. They also said sailrite offers double sided repair tape, but have yet to find it on their website. The sails are very old, originals from 1968, so we are attached to them and would like to fix ourselves.
Thanks again!
Old 30-06-2013, 13:23   #6

Aright, i found it. Basting tape! (Bit of a learning curve here)
Old 30-06-2013, 15:13   #7
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade132 View Post
Aright, i found it. Basting tape! (Bit of a learning curve here)
Basting tape is a TEMPORARY way to hold a seam while you sew it. It has zero structural use!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 15:43   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade132 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am looking to sew a patch on the sail and found on another thread that they used contact adhesive under the patch. They also said sailrite offers double sided repair tape, but have yet to find it on their website. The sails are very old, originals from 1968, so we are attached to them and would like to fix ourselves.
Thanks again!
G'Day Renegade,

A couple of things: "basting" tape is not in itself strong enough to make a repair. Some sailmakers stick seams together with tape that they say is strong enough to hold a sail together without stitching... but I note that they still do the stitching, so who knows. (Our new HydraNet main is so constructed: glued and stitched.)

But mate, if your sails are really 45 years old you are very unlikely to be able to resurrect them. The cloth is almost certainly badly degraded... why do you think that it tore in the first place? No reputable sailmaker would waste his time or your money on such a repair. Of course, if the sail has never been in the sun, then it might well be usable... but again, why did it tear?

Sailrite used to recommend using silicone adhesive to stick seams together prior to sewing, but never suggested that it would hold any stress. The downside of the silicone, or the "basting" tape for that matter, is that it sticks to the needle and gums it up whilst sewing. Can be a real PITA. Sailrite also used to publish a little pamphlet on sail repair... perhaps still do, but more likely a video these days. Having a look at such would be worthwhile for you.

I endorse learning to do minor repairs on your own sails -- a handy talent for a cruiser who ventures off the yellow brick road. Doing the job on your old sail could be a good learning experience for you, but I couldn't advise ever trusting the repaired sail.

Oh... besides Sailrite, Bainbridge and Contender both sell all the required materials and tools.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-06-2013, 17:09   #9

Boat: Able 50

Straight to the trash can with those sails - do not pass go, do not collect $200. On the other hand if someone offers you $200 on the way to the trash can perhaps you should accept it and put it towards a wake.

EVERY plastic degrades over time, sun or no sun. The sun is just an accellerant. Time is well beyond up for those sails.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail