Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 08:46   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 36 "Miss Adventure"
finding a mast/shipping a mast

Mast on my Islander Freeport 36 destroyed in hurricane Newton. There seems to be a few new/used masts available that are of the correct length - 54 feet, mostly in Florida. My question is, how does one ship a mast and does anyone know how one ships a mast to Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico? I've considered possibly splicing to make the load shorter, but not sure if that's a wise idea for a boat that spends considerable time offshore. Any suggestions or experiences regarding shipping to Mexico greatly appreciated.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:51   #2

Re: finding a mast/shipping a mast

Many masts are spiced, especially on bigger boats. It would be nice if you could find one closer. Calif must be scrapping old boats?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:52   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

have you checked with licensed salvors in mexico??
i have a friend in mazatlan who is one. he may be able to find a mast. also check into the marina and dry storage--once the insurance claims have been filed i am certain you will find a mast right there in san carlos guaymas.
your insurance company should be giving price of brand new mast. i know there are available masts in mexico. we just neeed to find em.
i have been promised a 40 ft aluminum mast for bird, right here in mazatlan. it just happens to be lying around in my salvor friends collection of boat goods.
oh yes. the man is an underwater welder., as well. i think mebbe he can even fix one that was broken. as he fixed the mast of my veterinarian friends boat in 2011.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 16:39   #4

Boat: Niagara 35

We too are needing a mast in Guaymas and are researching the possibilities. From what I can tell, ocean container shipping is easy to arrange and get quotes for, but max length is ~39 feet. To avoid splicing, I saw an interesting photo on Klacko Spars' website, where they used a trailer behind a pickup. Judging from the length of the truck, it looks like the mast might have been close to 60 feet. Hiring someone with such a trailer might be an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KlackoSparsTowingMast.png
Views:	205
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	133585  
Old 24-10-2016, 03:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BH BP.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:01   #6

Boat: Coast 34

I'm currently in San Carlos, Mexico, up the road from Guaymas. There is a knowledgeable yacht broker here who does a lot for the cruisers storing their boats in San Carlos. He looked after our boat and others in Marina Seca in SC during the hurricane. He might be able to help with finding or shipping a mast in this area. Contact Don at San Carlos Yacht Sales, email sancarlosyachtsales@gmail.com. Good luck to you. It is heartbreaking to see the damaged yachts but I'm also seeing boats being repaired and readied for going back in the water.

Annie
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:28   #7

Boat: Skookum 47

Not sure if this helps, but I am heading down to my boat in Guaymas around the end of January. I have a Toyota Tundra. If you can find/rent trailer, I could/would be willing to try and help out. I live in San Francisco. Just PM me if you find something that could work.

Cheers!
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:41   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Splicing masts is very common, & when done right, presents zero issues. Some spliced spars are designed to be "easily" disassembled, while others are more permanent once put together. And as to their performance, unless you're racing, & have one that's poorly built, you shouldn't much notice that they're not one-piece tubes.

On shipping, look for a boat that's being moved along a route akin to that which the spar in question would need to take, & have it hitch a ride with said vessel. If you go that route, it shouldn't cost you much.

When looking for masts, try; marinas, rig shops, (sometimes) used gear chandleries, insurance companies, especially after a big storm, & a few sources to remain super secret until your clearance is approved :-)
Hey, I can't give up all of my secrets. That would be foolish

Things like advertising in say Latitude 38, similar publications, & bulletin boards (electronic & paper) are options to pursue too. Ditto on yacht club bulletin boards/newsletters.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 22:35   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The folks at Ballenger Spars in Watsonville, CA, could help you out I bet! Good folks! And maybe SFBaydude could drive it down? Looks like you need a fifth wheel trailer and a pick-up with a fifth wheel though.
ballenger spars home page

Welcome here BTW!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:39   #10

Boat: 1970 Ericson 35 MKII

What ended up happening?

I'm in the same 'boat'.

Bought a Morgan 41 OI in SF Bay with an effed up bent mast (unbeknownst to me)

Now I need a 57' mast and the only one I can find is in FL, quote of $5200 to deliver cross country....
Farlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:33   #11

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I needed a bigger mast (15m) sent from the UK to Portugal - not an easy trip.

Found a used Selden mast at a spar company (Allspars), who then split it at the spliced join, serviced all the sheaves, etc, we put it on a truck and sent it south. I joined the two halves using the correct Selden rivets and a heavy duty manual riveter, had new rigging supplied for it as well, and can happily report it’s still going strong to this day!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 18:11   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlander View Post
What ended up happening?

I'm in the same 'boat'.

Bought a Morgan 41 OI in SF Bay with an effed up bent mast (unbeknownst to me)

Now I need a 57' mast and the only one I can find is in FL, quote of $5200 to deliver cross country....
Check with Ballenger, post 9 right above.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, shipping