Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2008, 19:31   #1

FaMet Furling

Hi, I just joined. I have a Roberts steel Spray 40 Pilot (THE original) staysail ketch. I have aquired a used and somewhat incomplete FaMet furling system. I'm looking for some contact info or website so I can find parts and info. All my searches have led to dead ends. I have found a parts breakdown from an old brochure, thats all.
Thanks
AtlanticGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 03:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard Grace.

FaMet Marine (Ron And Tamera Peterson)

FAMET REEFURL SAIL HANDLING SYSTEM
609 East 11th Street, Lawrence, KS 66044,

OFFICE & FAX: 785-842-0585
Ron's Cell PHONE: 785-331-9421
E-MAIL: info@fametreefurl.com <info@fametreefurl.com>

JIB/STAYSAIL ReeFurl

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 17:22   #3

Boat: Olympic Adventure 47
Gord that is old info the current owner is David Freer (freer@peoplestelecom.net) but last I heard he was looking to sell the business. He has all of the parts and litterature.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 08:11   #4

For the record, David Freer still operating Famet as of early 2010. I ordered two sets of roller furling bushings for my spares kit, and they were shipped promptly.
wyejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 14:29   #5

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyejay View Post
For the record, David Freer still operating Famet as of early 2010.
This IS good news! Thanks for the post, as I will need parts soon. Did you see those sexy, all stainless drums they offer now? Hummmmmm....

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 07:31   #6

Boat: 72 Islander 36
Re: FaMet Furling

Hope this reaches someone that has one of these. I do have a brochure and installation instructions I'd gladly send if anyone wants them.

I do have questions, though. I bought a boat that has one of these on it. I'm not familiar with them, so have a question on how it works. There were instructions in the installation, but they made little sense to me. My main question is on the second fitting with the gear on the base. It's referred to as a halyard tensioner and appears to take a bycycle type chain through it. I'm sure I have the parts around here somewhere, but how does it work and what's it for?
wbranner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:20   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: FaMet Furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbranner View Post
Hope this reaches someone that has one of these. I do have a brochure and installation instructions I'd gladly send if anyone wants them.

I do have questions, though. I bought a boat that has one of these on it. I'm not familiar with them, so have a question on how it works. There were instructions in the installation, but they made little sense to me. My main question is on the second fitting with the gear on the base. It's referred to as a halyard tensioner and appears to take a bycycle type chain through it. I'm sure I have the parts around here somewhere, but how does it work and what's it for?
The halyard goes over the sheave built into the top of the foil and back down to the bicyle type chain, where the eye in the end of the halyard is co-ordinated with the fully hoisted jib.
A key tightens the chain to set the jib luff tension. Can't remember what the bottom gear looks like, has been a while since working on one.
Entire foil assembly, with halyard rotates as one.
Halyard is fetched down to drum with a messenger line.

Tags
furling