Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 12:46   #1

Boat: Columbia 50
Fabricating Titanium chainplates

I have a set of chainplates needing replacement that are essentially 2" x 3/8 bar stock - no fancy angles, cuts, etc. Just holes for pins and bolts

I can get that size in titanium for a reasonable price - do I have to worry about machine hardening or specialized machinists to have some holes bored to match the old ones?

While Infinity Titanium looked interesting, specializing in replacements, they were unresponsive when I attempted to contact them, and my chainplates ARE dead simple, after all....

TIA,
matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 13:34   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Fabricating Titanium chainplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I have a set of chainplates needing replacement that are essentially 2" x 3/8 bar stock - no fancy angles, cuts, etc. Just holes for pins and bolts

I can get that size in titanium for a reasonable price - do I have to worry about machine hardening or specialized machinists to have some holes bored to match the old ones?

While Infinity Titanium looked interesting, specializing in replacements, they were unresponsive when I attempted to contact them, and my chainplates ARE dead simple, after all....

TIA,
matt

My preferred way is to get the holes cut slightly undersize on a laser profiler and then finish out to the correct size with a carbide tipped drill bit. Only done this on stainless, personally, but it makes it a snack to drill large holes in stubborn material.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 18:00   #3

I had Garhauer make several chainplates- 2" wide, 1/2 thick by about 18" long. Very reasonable. They dupicated the bolts holes exactly. They might do titanium.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 19:24   #4

Boat: Flicka 20

You might try Colligo Marine. They are great people and have predrilled Titanium chainplates. They are in Grover Beach, CA.
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 05:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Fabricating Titanium chainplates

Machining Ti is a bear, but any decent machinist should be able to do it.
You may pay a little more of course and I don’t believe work hardening etc is an issue.
Ti seems to have this magic aura around it, but to a machinist it’s just another metal, just requires slower speeds and feeds I’ve been told.

Allied Titanium made my chainplates, but that was mostly bending and welding, as you already have the metal I don’t think they would be a source. They were a lot less expensive than I was prepared for.
Most often Ti is available in grade 2 or grade 5, either is acceptable of course with 2 being a little weaker but more corrosion resistant, 5 being stronger but more susceptible.
99% of Ti used in Aerospace ps grade 5. Grade 2 is stronger than the stainless it replaces so if it’s the same size strength isn’t an issue.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 06:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post

TIA,
matt
Any machine shop that does tool and die work is likely to have a wire edm machine which would do what you need.
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 06:44   #7

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJohn49 View Post
You might try Colligo Marine. They are great people and have predrilled Titanium chainplates. They are in Grover Beach, CA.
Yes 2nd Colligo. They just did new Titanium chainplates, including backing plates and bolts for my CT49. They were substantially less than other quotes I got. They are all installed, look great and Im very happy with them. Pics below of my old original Stainless ones and the new Titanium chain plate including new extra attachment hole to convert to 'continious' shrouds with the synthetic rigging Im in the process of installing.

If you want any more details, shoot me an PM and Im happy to help.Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanium%20centre%20large%20Double%20Chain%20plate%2020111231_200024.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	186113Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain%20plates%202018%20May%2024%2020180524_093906.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	186114Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 May 1 Old <a title=Chain plate pics IMG-20180430-WA0004.jpeg Views: 163 Size: 85.2 KB ID: 186115" style="margin: 2px" />
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric