Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 17:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Extra Fuel Cans

Getting ready to sail to the Abacos for a month or so. Would like to know how to build a wooden board holder for some extra fuel cans on deck. I think it is a 2x6 board fasten to the life line stanchions. Any thoughts?

David
Old 03-05-2010, 17:12   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
yikes. 2x6 is fairly hefty. might that be overkill?
Old 03-05-2010, 17:20   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
We attached ours to the lifeline. We actually have covers for them. There are grommets that we use to route the line through, then in turn to through the handle of the cans. Seems more important what you set them on. But, if you don't have low enough lifelines. A 2 x 4 between the stanchions is also a convenient mounting mechanism.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 17:36   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I would avoid lashing anything at all to the lifelines. Frankly my stanchions are a joke. I would keep extra fuel in containers lashed securely along the side deck. Where they would drain overboard should they leak. The pushpit or cockpit may also serve as suitable locations.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 18:34   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Just something to think about. About three years ago I went to Home Depot and bought four of those grey re-cycled plastic decking planks, about 3/4" X 6" instead of wood. They've held up to sun, salt, and they don't need any finishing. Easy to cut and work with and they flex enough to follow the curvatures of stanchions without much pressure at all. They look like the day I put them on.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:48   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
For my last Bahamas trip, I tied them down on the cabin top just aft of the mast, just up from the grab rail - 2 on each side. They were easy to see over. I really liked that this did not inhibit moving forward in a hurry as tanks tied to stanchions might and they were also well out of the way of wave action in heavy seas.

The board systems I've seen usually consist of something a bit thinner such as a 1X6 lashed or bolted with U-bolts between two stanchions and then lashing the jugs to those.

Have a great time. I love the Abacos. Images from my recent Abacos trips including some anchoring charts here if you are interested:

www.bahamasmariner.com
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 20:27   #7

Boat: Islander 36
Some people build their fenderboards to do double duty and U-bolt them to stanchions to do this job. That's where the 2"x6" comes in handy. I like the recycled plastic idea. I can't picture the flex being a good thing. I'd like to know more.

I've also seen really neat stainless jerry can brackets made to fit in between stanchions. They capture the cans and positioned them on top of the cap or toe rail. I would put some wood or plastic planks down on top of the rail to distribute the load on the bottom of the can. Fashion the plank to "lock" into position on the rail. The whole thing clears up deck space. "I must to have it" as my Asian wife would say.
Old 03-05-2010, 22:14   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Why do you need them? There's plenty of marina's in the Abaco's.
Isn't there any place to store a couple cans below deck in a fuel locker?

One of my pet peeves is anything left out on decks except rope. I know it has to be done for passages but would be surprised that your boat didn't have sufficient fuel storage.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:13   #9
blu

Boat: Herroscoff H28 29ft Belo Vula
Stored mine below between head and sink. Cleaned outside beforehand threw in a bit of padding and that was it. Never budged during rough weather, no smell and don't have to work around on deck. When I had to crack one it was done in the cockpit, cleaned outside after refuel and put back in its place from where it came.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:57   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Isn't there any place to store a couple cans below deck in a fuel locker? ...
A below deck, fuel locker?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:06   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

I call that a tank
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49   #12

Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I have one, it holds 14 5 gallon jerry cans and two propane cylinders. It is seperate from the cabins and engine rooms and well vented and drained.

I have been on several mono's who had a locker under a cockpit seat which was the same. It may be smaller but should be able to hold 10 gallons to be used just in case.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58   #13

I looked on-line and there is a large bench seat which opens and two smaller compartments on both sides of the helm seat. I have no idea how big they are but theres a possibility.

On a Hunter 37.5 - added on edit.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Isn't there any place to store a couple cans below deck in a fuel locker?

One of my pet peeves is anything left out on decks except rope. I know it has to be done for passages but would be surprised that your boat didn't have sufficient fuel storage.
I agree a clean deck is nice but:

On my last Bahamas trip, I spent about 12 days working my way up through the northern islands and over to West End. With my 18-gallon tank that's only 1.5 gallons per day, which is a tight budget if one encounters headwind, especially considering my alternator is my only charging source. The Grand Cays near the end of the chain would have cut that down a bit, but I'd hate to rely on them for fuel. I was aware of few fuel docks this winter that went a week or more without fuel. Walker's no longer has fuel. Crossing from there back to the U.S. could easily go through almost a tank if I had to motor the whole way.

On a small boat, one issue is towing or stowing my dinghy on deck. Having it on deck is much more burdensome than a few fuel containers.which can even be stored under the dinghy.

A clean deck is nice, but for me, carrying some fuel is little burden and greatly expands my ability to go where I want, when I want. Given the relative protection of the banks and the fact I'll wait out bad weather at anchor, I think carrying fuel on deck through the Abacos presents less potential problems than carrying it on deck for an open passage.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel