Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 18:53   #16

Boat: Lightwave 38
Re: Experience with electric winch handles

In 2007 tried a Winchrite but it died after a few months, within warranty period. Returned to the Gold Coast supplier, after much chasing up received it back about 6 months later supposed to be be as good as new, it wasn't. Returned it and requested refund of the purchase price about AUD550, still waiting! Left the Winchrite as did not want useless crap on my catamaran.
A friend also had one and after trying it in actual use, main raising, I decided to buy. I think friends died as well, on his next catamaran he fitted electric winches.
The Milwaukee sounds a better option, no experience with Ewinch.
OOTB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 06:19   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For what its worth, we have been using a Milwaukee right angle drill--the 18v version--with a Winch Bit since 2006. We've gone through several sets of batteries, of course, but the drill continues to work very well and I can't imagine not having it aboard.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:11   #18

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For what its worth, we have been using a Milwaukee right angle drill--the 18v version--with a Winch Bit since 2006. We've gone through several sets of batteries, of course, but the drill continues to work very well and I can't imagine not having it aboard.

Did you make a cover for it?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:20   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

I like the Milli drill with 18v idea and am moving forward with it. I assume you 'all are using the 3/8" chuck model. Where do I get or what did you use for a wench bit?
Thanks
CR
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Did you make a cover for it?
Yep. A large Zip-Lock bag with one corner of the bottom cut out enough for the "bit end" to project through. I have tried to get several canvas guys to sew up a 1/8" thick neoprene cover but all have, thus far, failed to deliver despite "assurances" so we make do. The machine is a bit heavy but once in a winch, self supporting. Even my (much, much) better half can trim in our 135 with our "electric winch handle" tho' usually she drives whilest I work the boat/trim. (As she says, "I'm management, he's labor!")

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 16-08-2018, 11:11   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

HyLyte-
It is actually fairly easy to custom fit a neoprene cover. The shop that sells you the neoprene foam (with lycra on both sides) should also sell AquaSeal. Cut and fit the neoprene, use a kraft paper template first if in doubt. AquaSeal is a urethane glue designed for wetsuits and it will firmly hold the edges of the neoprene, just set and clamp one edge or "line" at a time. When you are done, you can overstitch the seams with pretty much any seam stitch, baseball stitch, surgical stitch, etc. using a standard dacron-cotton thread or something better if you prefer.
But the material itself is easy to work, and bond. I missed a major market opportunity, I made up a custom CD-player case and some similar things way before BodyGlove started in business.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
HyLyte-
It is actually fairly easy to custom fit a neoprene cover. The shop that sells you the neoprene foam (with lycra on both sides) should also sell AquaSeal. Cut and fit the neoprene, use a kraft paper template first if in doubt. AquaSeal is a urethane glue designed for wetsuits and it will firmly hold the edges of the neoprene, just set and clamp one edge or "line" at a time. When you are done, you can overstitch the seams with pretty much any seam stitch, baseball stitch, surgical stitch, etc. using a standard dacron-cotton thread or something better if you prefer.
But the material itself is easy to work, and bond. I missed a major market opportunity, I made up a custom CD-player case and some similar things way before BodyGlove started in business.(G)
Thank you for that information. I will look into it as a cover would certainly be an improvement we could use. And, there is a dive shop nearby that does wet-suit repairs so I suspect they'll have the material. I'll report back on my progress.

Cheers!
Old 16-08-2018, 12:11   #23

Boat: Morgan 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Having used our right-angle Milwaukee for the last 7 years, I would highly recommend it. It gives you a longer moment arm, so 1-hand ops is possible. We carry 2 batts, and have never run out of batt pwr when we use it for going up the stick, reefing the jib under load, bringing the dink up onto the foredeck, and-oh-occasionally using it as a drill! And always with just a single hand..for either me or the admiral. Without a doubt, one of the best pieces of kit we've ever bought. Highly recommend it!
Agreed.
JDeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 12:14   #24

I also use a Milwaukee M18 hole Hawg as a winch driver.

Milwaukee link:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...Drills/2708-20

I removed the chuck and had a special drive bit made that screws onto the shaft.

Also, as every other power tool on the boat is a Dewalt, I made a special adaptor so that it could use Dewalt 20v batteries.

The best thing that I have ever bought.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 13:09   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
I'm not completely against the drill method, maybe I'm wrong that it will definatly need two hands on the drill where it seems possible to use the Winchrite or the Ewincher with one hand whilst haveing a spare hand for, let's say emergency tailing which I think would be easier for the better half to handle, sure it's alot cheaper I don't know, but would be interested on honest thoughts on the middle of the range Winchrite as the Ewincher here in Australia is $4000.00.

Regards Rod.
Physical Therapy in Corpus Christi for Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex

Drills are great for drilling holes. I'd be careful using one in the situation where the drill has more power and the winch has more resistance than your wrist's ligaments have strength. It's painful and doesn't get fixed back to how it was.

I would suggest getting active and doing some weights so the traditional handle isn't a big deal or spend the money and buy the dedicated electric handle.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 05:58   #26

Boat: Freedom 38

I’ve been using the Milwaukee 1/2” right angle drill for 5 years with no trouble. I can hoist my 95# mainsail around 6 times between charges and the battery fully recharges in about 20 minutes. I always use the drill in the direction that operates my 2 speed winches in low gear for 3 reasons: keeps the torque very manageable, sail goes up slow enough that snagging full battens on lazy jacks can be avoided and chuck resists the tendency to back out - breaking the chuck securing screw. I bought the drill from Amazon and the custom neoprene cover from the company that sold me the winch bit. I haven’t needed to use it on our manual SL windlass, but could easily do so if needed. Comparing the cost of the Milwaukee to power 2 speed winches, going with the drill left a lot of room in our refit budget for other goodies - and the drill is easily replaceable. Not sure how one sends off a power winch for service in the event of breakdown. Hope you enjoy “living the dream” as much as we have.
Bob
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 16:48   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
chuck resists the tendency to back out - breaking the chuck securing screw.
FWIW: when I first started using Millie, I broke a couple of chuck retaining screws. Then I screwed the chuck on with some red Loctite on the threads, and in the ensuing 4 years haave not had a screw break... and I use it loaded in both directions.

Jim

PS I was rather surprised that I was unable, even after extensive research, to source a 1/4-20 left hand allen head screw anywhere in Australia. Had to order from the USA!
Old 19-01-2019, 15:22   #28

Boat: Duncanson 43 foot

I have owned two winchrites. The first failed when under warranty. We sail a heavy cruising yacht with sails in the order of 60sqm. The winchrite simply couldn't cope with any pressure in the sail and was useful for furling only. Eventually got tired of using for something I could do by hand quicker and cut my losses by selling the unit.

I note that others are very praiseworthy of this product and wish them well. I wasn't prepared to buy a 3rd, apparently improved model where some of the earlier problems had been engineered out.

The eWincher price tag is OMG and not one I would consider. I can convert my existing winches to electric for about 50% more, which is the path I will take when I get too old to handle the sails manually.

Milwaukee? Use one a lot on a friends racing yacht. Very torquee and likely to break a wrist for the unsuspecting or novice. Probably the best cost effective option, but one ruled out in the opening statement.
Miss Saigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 20:46   #29

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

Shoulder damage means I now have pain after a lot of winching. I looked at the available electric winch options and the Milwaukee right angle drill with custom drive bit seems the best "off the shelf" option. Quite expensive here in Australia but MUCH cheaper than electric winches.

I decided to make my own using a Lemac 12V 180W golf cart motor/gearbox. These are often available at quite reasonable prices and I lucked out and found a lightly used one for A$10. These are good bi-directional motors so can operate the winches at both speeds using the correct two way momentary switch.

I cut the star drive of an old winch handle and fitted it with a 12mm shaft to suit the Lemac gearbox.

My innovation. I cast a "base-plate" for the motor/gearbox to mate with the top of my ST winches. It engages on the stripper arm which prevents rotation. I do need to hold it down but this doesn't need any effort.

Yes, it does need to be connected to the 12V system but it works well and has plenty of torque. More than me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lemac.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	216671  
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 11:21   #30

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i notice in looking at the Milwaukee Hole Hawg, that there are several models. i also notice that the Dewalt is quite a bit cheaper. Since Dewalt is a reputable brand in the construction field, as is Milwaukee, does anybody have experience with the Dewalt cordless hole hawg?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, enc, winch