Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 17:38   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Dyneema Standing Rigging a 50' Sloop, Questions for those who have made the swap

Having done lanyards with both Colligo's deadeyes and sailmaker's thimbles (or lead rings, as some now call them), I have to say that the Colligo kit is still worth getting. Because the deadeyes have individual holes for each leg of the lanyard, the legs don't try and ride up on each other and rub and get awkward. With separated legs, it's a lot easier to tighten the lanyard, since you can "twang" each leg in sequence from the deadend to the fall, and thus work out the slack. When every leg is piled up at the bottom of the curve of a plain round thimble, this is a lot harder to do.
When you consider the price of other high-end sailboat parts (think of kit from places like Harken, Tylaska, or Equiplite), the price of the Colligo stuff begins to seem very reasonable.
I recommend using the Colligo deadeyes, and shopping around for deals on line--spool ends, closeouts, etc. My shrouds came in at 63 cents a foot, and they all match!
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 05:00   #122

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: Dyneema Standing Rigging a 50' Sloop, Questions for those who have made the swap

Just read this thread, so much good information here. Now i am definately replacing all my standing rigging with UHMW PE.

Ironically, I have a engineering office in China and deal with a lot of the manufacturing there.
I will do some research on their version of Dyneema SK75, we also have a testing laboratory to test the material ourselves.

On a side note, do not trust anyone on Alibaba unless you test and prove the product first. Companies that advertize products there are oftentimes using pirated documents and trade names, and also copy specifications from real companies web sites.

But i will also mention that there is good quality products coming out of China. The key is to know who to trust and if possible tour the factory. I do not do business with any company here until i see their manufacturing plant personally and test their product.

If you have any questions about a company in china feel free to ask me, i have been doing business here for 8 years and know my way around very well.
Old 23-02-2020, 09:31   #123

Not much new in this thread, but wanted to know if I’m on right track.
I’m redoing my mast and standing rigging with sk78 9.5mm.
The boat is a 36’ hans Christian at 25,000lbs.
I plan on 316SS cast thimbles with turnbuckles, should I worry about one point contact where the clevis pin hold the thimble?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	862A5316-B3F5-4905-BC8A-277D4C7AA527.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	209288   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DD202E9-BDFF-4657-9FF3-ABD216A07730.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	209289  

Docfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:41   #124

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

If you’re concerned about point loading between the clevis pin and thimble, you can bush out the pin.
More important - how could you let your cockpit woodwork deteriorate so much?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:49   #125

Boat: Outremer 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfranco View Post
I plan on 316SS cast thimbles with turnbuckles, should I worry about one point contact where the clevis pin hold the thimble?

I would spend the money and go for Colligo terminals. Just taken mine down after 6 years on my 42' cat and all in good condition. They aren't cheap but they are really good.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:26   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

John Franta is for sure the one to answer that. I would say 9.5 78 is going to stretch to much. Need sk99 on a mono or larger size. I personally would use lashing on the lowers and headstays. TBs on uppers and possibly backstay.
Old 23-02-2020, 10:55   #127

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
John Franta is for sure the one to answer that. I would say 9.5 78 is going to stretch to much. Need sk99 on a mono or larger size. I personally would use lashing on the lowers and headstays. TBs on uppers and possibly backstay.
X2

You only want to use a heat strengthened Dyneema designed for standing rigging, like Colligo's Dux, or NER's STS-HSR. Additionally, those sailmaker's thimbles do not have the correct turning radius to maintain 100% of the line's strength, and why Colligo's Terminators should be used.

If you purchase the components from Colligo, John Franta will design your rig for free, which is some nice piece of mind given such an important component as your rig.

Shot of my shrouds at the chainplate...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Synthetic_Rig_001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	209299  
RocketScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 11:24   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfranco View Post
That nice, Now you can be dismasted by some one with a small steak knife.LOL
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 11:38   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Yeah, same phantom dude who's running around with cable cutters dismasting wire rigged boats.
Old 23-02-2020, 11:54   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
You are uninformed.
Not worth replying further...
Old 23-02-2020, 11:56   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
My research shows sk78 is heat treated to minimize stretch, and is used in larger boats.
Old 23-02-2020, 11:57   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
If you’re concerned about point loading between the clevis pin and thimble, you can bush out the pin.
More important - how could you let your cockpit woodwork deteriorate so much?
The boat was a “rescue” and mast first then woodwork
Priorities....
Old 23-02-2020, 15:14   #133
Marine Service Provider

Those thimbles are fine.
SK 78 in itself isn't heat treated--make sure you get the heat-treated, pre-stretched stuff. They do make it, but you have to make sure it is.
The Dux that Colligo sells is heat-set sk75. It pre-stretches better than SK 78, meaning that the end result has less creep. It is initially weaker than SK 78, but the heat-setting makes it more suitable.
If price is no object, Marlow's M-rig is the latest, greatest grade of Dyneema for standing rigging. Give the specs a look.
Old 24-02-2020, 12:40   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Those thimbles are fine...
Out of curiosity, why didn't you use thimbles on your own rig, rather than the Colligo terminators you did use?
Old 24-02-2020, 16:44   #135
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
Out of curiosity, why didn't you use thimbles on your own rig, rather than the Colligo terminators you did use?
Because I use lanyards to tighten the rig, and the separator holes are crucial. The thimble guy seems to be asking about them for turnbuckle use.

Tags
dyneema, rigging, sloop