Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2012, 12:54   #16

Re: Dyneema as Furling Line ?

our furling line is 20 yrs old and shows no sign of wear. find the chafe spot and fix that. also our's feeds trough 1" blocks screwed into the toe rail about every 3'. the chafe point is the problem not the line you are using!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:28   #17

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
our furling line is 20 yrs old and shows no sign of wear. find the chafe spot and fix that. also our's feeds trough 1" blocks screwed into the toe rail about every 3'. the chafe point is the problem not the line you are using!
Wow what sort of line are you using that is 20 years old and shows no sign of wear? Is your boat garage kept?

As for dyneema on the furler its a great idea as bare dyneema such as Amsteel has tremendous UV life. I have been using it for life lines for years with great results. You have to add cover as others have mentioned here for the areas that will need to be in a clutch or your hands. Most furling lines I have seen frankly were too stretchy for my likes as when ever the sail was reefed I always had to reef a little more than I wanted to take account of the stretch.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:54   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
I suddenly don't feel quite as bad about not having replaced my 5-year-old furling line.

Tags
dyneema