Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2006, 15:25   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Dyform vs type 316 1x19

I'm going to be rerigging my boat and was thinking of using Dyform wire for it's reported low stretch. Thought it was also stronger per diameter but that doesn't seem to be the case. Why would I want to use Dyform vice 316 1x19 since the cost is more than double??

Aloha
Peter O
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 21:27   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Please note: I am by no means a qualified expert, so take this with a pinch of salt.

It is my understanding that, because Dyform has less stretch than standard 316, it's advantage is in performance. Essentially, using Dyform will make your rig stiffer, so that you will get less deflection in the mast under load (from wind in your sails). Essentially, if your mast remains stiff, your sails remain in their design shape..if your mast deflects, your sail distorts and does not perform as designed (or so your sail-maker will tell you)

I suspect that the difference is not significant enough that you would actually notice the improvement in performance between standard 316 & Dyform (assuming both were well "tuned").

If you are trying to get every last iota of performance out of your boat, and are looking for another 0.1 knots of speed, so that you can win your local championships, but you have already bought a brand new set of D4 sails and replaced everything you can with carbon fibre, you might want to consider using Dyform... otherwise, just stick with standard 316.

But like I said, I'm just shooting the breeze.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 21:51   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I agree. There are also some forms of stainless which are more stain resistance and touted to be better for the tropics. They also have a lower breaking strength than just plain 1X19 stainless. Yellow pages, North Sails, on Oahu has some good answers and can make up any rigging you need. Kind Regards, --JohnL--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 06:26   #4

i rerigged my previous boat with dyform; but i can't for the life of me remember why..
it is very easy to work with and the serpent skin is good on your hands during rerig.
(had staylock fittings). i got more than ten years and 10,000nm out of it without a refit and sold the boat.
i did this in florida and remember actually going to norseman for the cable...they must have impressed me somehow.
really should get that brain scan,
little boat
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 06:38   #5

For a given diameter, Dyform is about 30% stronger than standard wire from ...

http://www.sailingservices.com/stand...d_1x19wire.htm

Break Weight $ per ft
10 mm dia Lbs per 100 ft
1X19D 21,490 36.3 $7.60
1x19 16,627 32.8 $4.05
+29% +11% +88%

Hopefully the format of this little table will look Ok. The 30% breaking strength increase comes with a 10% weight penalty and an 88% cost increase. You'll have to decide if it is worth it for your application.
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 01:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Mahalo all of you that gave input. Sailing Services and WestMarine have differing values for the strength of Dyform. Probably not cost effective to go for Dyform.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote