Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2012, 18:58   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: dutchmen system.....worth it?

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about behind mast furling systems. I'm sure a search would find it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 23:11   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about behind mast furling systems. I'm sure a search would find it.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ems-77334.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-30926.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ler-78755.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ems-77334.html

My experience has been with the jib style on a foil. Frankly the sail doesn't roll up well, has terrible shape, pretty much can't go upwind, and the separation between the mast and the foil means the sail is almost impossible to get flying correctly. It frankly just doesn't work very well in any sence. It's so bad my friend hasn't bothered to put the sail up in years. Since absent some really dedicated trimming it slows the boat down on almost all points of sail.

If the concern is about pulling the sail up (which I really understand) I would recommend an electric winch. If you start from scratch you would be looking at ~$3,000, which is likely not any more than the furler, and a new main cut to work on it.

For reefing while running take a look at any of the ball bearing main track systems. I am familure with the Harken Batt-Car system, it there are others that are cheaper and have very good reviews.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:05   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
For reefing while running take a look at any of the ball bearing main track systems. I am familure with the Harken Batt-Car system, it there are others that are cheaper and have very good reviews.
You don't need a ball bearing system on a lot of boats. We've been doing Strong Track for years and for most monohulls up to around 50', it works fantastic and is a simpler more economical system than Harken, Antal, and others. On cats and boats with fat-head mains there's some additional considerations. Tides makes a high strength car for the headboards that they didn't have in the past.

We're doing Strong Track on a Stevens 47 at the moment. It's very easy for owners to install. If the gate is too close to the boom, you may have to remove the boom or even the gooseneck. An easier way is to cut in an additional gate with a die grinder.

We've been Strong Track fans for years and customers like them. The more sophisticated systems have their place but most boats will work out fine with Strong Track.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote