Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2008, 10:04   #1

Boat: Boatless
Dutchman

I have been reading posts about Lazy Jacks and Dutchman plus looking at various videos of both. I am thinking about a do-it-yourself "roman shade/dutchman." Off hand I can't see wh I couldn't do this myself using grommets and filament line. Developing my own tying strategies.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

Jim
Drole D'Oiseau
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 03:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yes, Martin van Breems (Dutchman inventor) has done it. His system works.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 03:54   #3

I would attempt a do it yourself Dutchmen "fabrication". I know Marty and had had 3 Dutchmen, on my 3 mains over the years. The system works great for me and has gotten better in each version.

I was also cruising in the Canary Islands when Marten visited and instructed a salimaker there how to do a proper layout, which seems to be the tricky part. He invited me to watch/help. It obviously required a sail loft to lay the sail out in.

A key factor is the relationship between the grommet location and the sail slug location. The spacing of the grommets will determine the size of the flakes and they should be basically in line with alternating slugs. You of course need to determine whether you will have two or 3 control lines and their placement fore and aft, plus the roach.

I believe Martin has a guide for sailmakers with instructions to do the layout. After that, it is a matter of properly installing the grommets and attaching the control line to a adjustable clamping system on the foot of the sail.

One thing aboutthe system. when it is set up and used properly is works very well. This means (for my rig) that I have the control lines taut when raising, lowering or reefing and slack when sailing. This is accomplished by changing the tension on the topping lift. There are several way points of the control lines to the topping lift are fair so the sail moves up or down with no friction (grommets must align with each other and their attachment point on the topping lift. for this to work).

I don't suspect the system has any measurable downside impact of sailing performance, but it does feel weird
drilling holes in your sail. (grommets should be reinforced).

The system is great for single handed sailing. You will have to modify your sail cover a bit, but this is only a few zippers aligning with the control lines.

Good luck.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 04:17   #4
cruiser

Good intro to the Dutchman system, DefJef.

I now have a Dutchman system and I've been toying around with it. Thanks for the tips.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:57   #5

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Treated myself to a new Quantum mainsail and dutchman system a few years ago.
defjef is right on about dutchman system, great for singlehanded sailing especially
with my large mainsail fractional rig. Have to get used to the running topping lift
and slots in the sail cover. I don't know if I would be inclined to cut into my mainsail,
but if you measure twice and cut once go for it.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 17:42   #6

Boat: Boatless
I am not clear as to what the "sail slugs" are. I am planning on two con trol lines. My plan was to divide the length of the foot by thirds and use that dimension for the spacing. I also figured I would reinforce the sail for the grommets and space them according to the desired flake.

[quote=defjef;146047]

A key factor is the relationship between the grommet location and the sail slug location. The spacing of the grommets will determine the size of the flakes and they should be basically in line with alternating slugs. You of course need to determine whether you will have two or 3 control lines and their placement fore and aft, plus the roach.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 18:06   #7

The sail slugs or slides will determine the vertical location of the grommets. I don't know that exact thirds is especially important. The number of vertical lines is determined by the length of the boom.

If you flake your sail (without the Dutchman system) you will have stack with the sail folds alternating port and starboard over the boom. The folds size is determined by the spacing of the slides.

Now with the sail neatly flaked over the boom imagine the control line from the boom (foot of the sail) passing up through the flakes to the topping lift. Where the line passes through the sail is the same vertical or height off the boom as the corresponding sail slide.

To do this on the loft floor, you need to measure up from the foot (tack fitting) to each slide and then same vertical location of the slides is where the grommets are place. They, of course are placed in a vertical line (parallel with the luff) or mast when it is plumb and not raked.

The fore and aft locations will have an impact where the top grommets are in relation to the leach. The need not or should be close because you want the topping lift to be able to be quite free when sailing.

Write to Dutchman and ask for a layout guide.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote