Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2013, 07:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Dodgerless Enclosure

Hi all,

The canvas on our new to us CN 44 is shot, and the configuration of the frames is not very well thought out. So we need to start from scratch. We want a full enclosure, the boat is a center cockpit.

Our options as quoted from vendors include:
A traditional dodger and bimini that attaches near the back end of the dodger.

Option 2 has the bimini extended to the forward end of the dodger.

Option 3, has no dodger. Instead, the bimini extends forward, and the panels up front serve the function of the dodger, hence a dodgerless enclosure.

I am interested in hearing from folks that have this third arrangement, or have sailed with one. Our forward combing is about 18 inches high, and the cockpit is usually very dry. While not as aesthetically pleasing, this option has the benefit of more room in the cockpit, better ventilation with all panels removed in hot weather, and lower cost.

Here is the boat's profile:

What say ye?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 08:10   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Dodgerless Enclosure

Years ago I owned a steel business where when the market dropped off durring the winter months , we would keep the emploies around buy building Ornamental fencing and gates,
On custom work, I would take a picture of the home or property , print a few copies on typing paper and draw a few designs or different options on the picture of the ornate fencing and gates..
you would get a really good look of the finished product befor it was even built up against the existing background..

And I've followed throu with this same design concept when building a dodger or enclosure on boats.. often the customer cant relate what they want so a simple photo on an 8 x 10 and a black marker will solve the issue..
when building anything, the looks of the addition must complement the boat from all angles .. if it didnt, we'd all be using blue tarps from home depot and bungee cords for a top..
Make a few drawings and when you are satisfied with the looks, and the functions of the addition, take it to the builder.. you'll ease his , or her mind as now they know exactally what you are looking for..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 08:12   #3

Boat: 44 footer

I ran a charter boat that had a huge (15x15ft) cockpit space, and what was effectively a "roll cage" of anodized aluminum tubing that was strong enough to support the boom if the topping lift broke. It had a set of 1 1/2 diameter aluminum hoops and cross bars, 2 on each side, 2 on each end that were welded together, with a radius, probably 2 feet, bent into each of the support posts.

Over the whole shooting match, heavy grade white vinyl was stretched and held taught with truckers hitches. The Vinyl extended down just past the radius ed portion of the support posts. It worked well to cover the area and be able to withstand a decent blow. It held on when a glancing hurricane and a 70mph squall came through. It was also nice because we could untie the corners and tuck them back to make it easier to get in and out, whichever side of the dock we were tied to... Which is my biggest gripe with most bimini enclosures, you have to tuck down into a ball to get under them.

What I'm envisioning is wrapping the piping up in the roof, and wrapping around the outside poles. A sleeve and zipper to connect isenglass panels. The "roof" won't be wind tight, but with a turned down edge of the vinyl roof it would keep most all the rain out, and be left in place as the isenglass panels would be a totally separate entity.

When you want it gone, unzip it and all you have is a fixed frame. It looked a bit industrial without the vinyl top on it, but I've got to say it beat any of the small stainless fold down flimsy bimini's I've used in the past.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 09:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Here are the three options as drawings:

Old 21-11-2013, 10:10   #5

I think we need to know where you sail and if you do offshore passages.
I see no point in option 2 but maybe I missed something.
The traditional setup (#1) works well and is most often used because it does. Offshore or at night, in a hard blow etc you are protected by the dodger and dont have to have the bimini up at all. It's less windage, stronger and keeps your eyes from getting windburned on a day of beating to weather at 15-25 knots. You can set something like a tablet, chart, hat or book on the cabintop protected by the dodger.
If you live in the warm Caribe, only go out for daysails etc, then option#3 might make sense.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 10:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

We sail offshore. I realize that option three would be less sturdy by some margin. I guess the question then is by how much of a difference this would this be.

While the option of taking down the bimini is indeed a valid option, we never ever did that when sailing on our previous boat, and I don't see doing it on this one. The only time I could see this as something that would be actually done at sea would be when doing an ocean passage, and being aware of very bad weather coming up because of gribs or a forecast. We intend to have solar panels on, and those panels will need to be disconnected at each corner in turn to remove the canvas (using Gemini mounts).

With the forward panels, and the next two aft panels installed, the bimini functions as a dodger.

Chris
Old 21-11-2013, 10:55   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

This may be interesting.

1980 Morgan 462 Center Cockpit! World Ready!! Sail Boat For Sale -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center cockpit hardtop.jpg
Views:	396