Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 10:13   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Re: do you use winch for roller furler?

Just a couple of thoughts related to my experience with a Harken self furler on a Gulfstar 37.

Perhaps take a look at the run of the furling line. We sometimes needed the help of a winch, but changing the lead of the furling line made it all good. When we bought the boat the jib sheet went back further than it needed and a block brought it forward to a nice position to hand furl. Usually no problems, but sometimes we needed the winch. Eliminating that extra block and turn back fixed it.

As a test (depending if the run of the furling line allows) try to position yourself half way forward and try pulling the line by hand from that position (eliminating more blocks). Pull low, so that you are pulling it in line with how it is lead. I hope that makes sense. If that works well when you would otherwise need the winch . . . then perhaps the lead can be worked on.

Lastly, we did have problems with furling when the jib halyard was too tight. I'd say you only want the halyard to be tight enough so the luff is nicely taut, but not too tight. This issue was pointed out to me in a phone call with Harken.

As others have said, I usually try to furl the jib when on a run and the main shadows the jib. Makes all the difference in SF Bay, 25 knot late in the day wind, I'm tired, returning to dock process. I do think that was a run-on sentence, but how I think when I'm dousing sails.

Good luck,
Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 11:07   #32

Boat: Hans Christian 4750
Re: Do you use Winch for Roller Furler?

On a boat your size, you should have no trouble furling the headsail by hand, especially in less that 20 knots of wind. You can experiment with forestay tension and halyard tension, to see what settings run the easiest.

One other thing to check is whether or not your halyard is fouling at the top of the mast. I had a wire-rope halyard that caught the end of the aluminum furling extrusion, and started sawing a little groove in it. Even though I had a halyard restrainer on the mast, it gradually kinked and wrapped the wire halyard around the extrusion. At one point I had to resort winching it just to get the last bit in. Bad idea, it simply pulled the wire further into the groove in the extrusion and exacerbated the situation. It became progressively harder and harder to furl, until it jammed one day. Fortunately not bad enough not to be able to drop the sail to the deck!

Check out what's happening at the top - it might be there.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 11:26   #33

Boat: Contest 36'

We do it by hand when headed I to the wind. When we are poled out downwind we have to try to luff the genoa some and then winch it in. As others have said, of it's strong enough to hold a reefed sail it should be fine to reef a sail. I use Dyneema 3/8" line. I don't want that to break n rouh weather.
Old 25-12-2014, 11:27   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1340 View Post
My 38 foot boat does not have a dedicated winch for the headsail roller furler. PO told me if you can't furl the genoa by hand, then you've got a problem with the furler.
Ive got a problem with this, but I'm not sure if it's a bind in the furler or simply wind drag on the sail. When wind gets to 15 knots, pulling the furler in by hand is a challenge for me. At 18 knots, I generally run the furling line to the large jib sheet winch. At 20 knots, I'm totally dependent on the winch. Is this normal? At what wind speed to you become reliant on a winch to furl the genoa?
Tom.
ps, the head stay is well tensioned and the 20 plus year old Hood furling drum spins easily at light loads.
Point up into the wind. It sounds like you're trying to strike it before the wind?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 12:46   #35

Boat: Valiant 40

I furl 99% of the time by hand, a 130 genoa, bearing off and blanketing the sail when the wind is up.

That said, it's important to be able to throw your furling line on a winch for circumstances where you can't do it by hand and bearing off is inadvisable or hugely inconvenient. For example, if I'm beating to weather single handed in a substantial seaway and need to take in part of the jib, I'll throw it on the winch and take it in as I ease off on the sheet. Just less trouble and less opportunity for something to go wrong than changing course.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 14:05   #36

Boat: Allied 39

We have a Profurl basic which we have a dedicated winch for reefing. We always use the winch but when under load (needing to reef) we always ease the sheet some before cranking in the reefing winch. Ease, then winch, ease, then winch until we have it reefed. So far it's been perfect and we have about 20K on the Profurl with zero problems.

Regards

Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-12-2014, 14:32   #37

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We have a Profurl basic which we have a dedicated winch for reefing. We always use the winch but when under load (needing to reef) we always ease the sheet some before cranking in the reefing winch. Ease, then winch, ease, then winch until we have it reefed. So far it's been perfect and we have about 20K on the Profurl with zero problems.
+1

You shoundnt have to alter course to REEF your sail..
Seems many are talking about putting their sail away after a days sail and not reefing for conditions..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 15:35   #38

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
My Tartan 33 is a fractional rig and I have no problems with the 135. In the summer I use a 150. With the larger sail, I find I have to add some back stay tension to ensure the forestay is tight and straight or the roller furler does not turn smoothly. With just a little tension I can roll it up no problem....
Hi ! I almost bought a Tartan 33, 7/8 rig ! I love that sailboat & the Tartan Ten... Can you confirm that you can sail upwind under mainsail alone ? Something impossible under main alone if you have a mast-top jib/genoa

Sparkman & Stephens: Design 2348 - Tartan 33
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 16:05   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

Depends on the size of the sail and how hard it is blowing too.

Definitely winches for bigger boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 16:16   #40

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
My Tartan 33 is a fractional rig
Totally off topic but we had a Tartan 33 as our first boat. What a fantastic boat and that girl took us many places and taught us many things. We only sold it because child #4 was coming along and traveling for 2 weeks and 4 kids on the 33 would have been tough. But we still have so many fond memories. We were hull #10.

Back on topic:

My husband does most of the furling/unfurling but he just muscles it in. We have a 42 foot sail and I don't think I've ever seen him not be able to do it without the winch.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 16:42   #41

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The answer to your furling issues:

http://www.jamesnilsson.com/files/docs/c500.pdf
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 20:23   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Hi ! I almost bought a Tartan 33, 7/8 rig ! I love that sailboat & the Tartan Ten... Can you confirm that you can sail upwind under mainsail alone ? Something impossible under main alone if you have a mast-top jib/genoa

Sparkman & Stephens: Design 2348 - Tartan 33
Will she go to windward under main alone? Yes. But why? The jib generates better lift to windward. And balances the rig. If it is blowing -reef or double reef the main. On the second reef start rolling up a 135.

Going to windward under main alone, would place the center of effort way too far aft and require a sh@tload of rudder, that would slow the boat more.

@annsi- she is hull #33.

Cheers
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 20:41   #43

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Well, on Sundowner we have hydraulic furling on the Genoa, Main and Mizzen. Works great for us older (lazy) sailors! great in heavy weather, both main and mizzen are in mast furling and the hydraulics handle this well.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 05:41   #44
Marine Service Provider

I have used a winch, but if you do so, be sure that everything is running fair and there are no hang ups. Winches generate huge loads.

I spend most of my time sailing in the Grenadines where winds are often blowing 20 to 30 knots. I always bear away blanketing my jib behind the main when furling. You just have to plan ahead a little to ensure you have enough room to execute the maneuver.

If the boat is set up right and the furling gear is properly maintained, you should be able to furl by hand using this technique.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 19:19   #45

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I started this thread about 2years ago. I have been remiss in not following up. The problem with my fuller was that the job halyard was wrapping around the forestay. This is a common problem caused when there is too much halyard length between the upper furler swivel and the masthead sheave. In my case, there was only about 12" of length, but that was enough to cause occasional wrapping. I'm lucky I did not do serious damage. When I realized the problem, I added a short lanyard to the tack on the furling drum, to raise the sail several inches. That improved the situation. I have since rerigged and installed a halyard guard at top of mast. All is fine now.
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler, winch