Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-12-2014, 13:29   #16
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: do you use winch for roller furler?

I think Admiralslater has our answer in his post. Use larger line, and strip the cover off the portion that goes on the drum, leaving the larger diameter back at the cockpit (if I am understanding correctly?)

Ralph

RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:38   #17

Boat: kuiper 32

You may find a larger diameter furling line may not fit on the drum.I dont use a winch on my 2 furlers am worryed it may stuff the units if they are put under a lot of strain.Just ease the sheets bring in a bit ease the sheets again bring a bit more in doesnt take long.

Old 24-12-2014, 13:39   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I see I am in the minority here, but I hand roll only. The Schaffer 3300 can be used with a winch, but I find it binds the sail when I try to release it again.
Old 24-12-2014, 13:45   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You just need to use the winch properly... just add enough tension with it for control! It's great when unfurling also... control!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:51   #20
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1340 View Post
the head stay is well tensioned and the 20 plus year old Hood furling drum spins easily at light loads.
If you have the Hood Seafurl 2, here is the owner's manual complete with troubleshooting. If you model is different, look it up on Google. Several models listed there. http://www.olajedatos.com/ltp/Manual...eaFurl2636.pdf

Best wishes, and Merry Christmas!
Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:55   #21

A (now) funny anecdote... we were attacked by a thunderstorm down-burst while sailing on a river. Didn't have room to run and couldn't see a thing, so turned into the wind. While I was coraling the mainsail, my wife tried to bring in the genoa. She couldn't pull it in by hand so she put the furling line on the sheet winch. She got it in but ended up with a large ball of thoroughly knotted and jammed line. Took an hour and much patience to unravel without destroying the line.
Old 24-12-2014, 15:58   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

It seems I have excessive resistance in my furling system. I suspect the binding may be where the furling line passes behind the rail mounted jerry cans. I had assumed the contact between the line and the plastic cans was trivial. Maybe not. I will reset the jerry can tie-downs to avoid the furling line all together and see if situation improves. Thank you all for your comments.
Tom
Old 24-12-2014, 16:09   #23

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I furl our 44m genoa on a ProFurl by hand. Don't let the sail flog, just release the sheet enough to get a nice wrap.
Old 24-12-2014, 17:19   #24

Boat: Caliber 40

Caliber 40 cutter with two roller furling sails
Genoa 654 sq feet hoists on forestay with Profurl
Code 0 800 sq feet hoists on a internal luff line and uses Harken furler

I use a dedicated #6 Harken single speed winch (little itty bitty thing) for controlling the furling line on the way out. I single hand a lot and putting one wrap around the drum makes it much easier to keep the appropriate tension on the furling line as it goes out.

The furling line comes aft and goes thru a Lewar rope clutch and then leads to the Harken winch just aft of the wheel.

When furling either sail I use the Harken as a turning block to lead to the place I like to be in the cockpit. If I have waited too long to furl (wind is a little more than useful) I put a wrap around the drum but still furl by hand.

There have only been a couple times where I needed to use the winch handle in the Harken winch to retrieve the furling line.

3 AM 15 miles off shore headed north in the Sea of Cortez - Singlehanding. I had the 120% genoa furled to 100% as we (the boat and I) blasted along on a close reach in 25 knots gusting to the high 30s. The wind was hot and offshore with almost no seas so the boat was doing a steady 7.7 - 8.3 knots and the sailing was a hoot.

I had been underway alone for 20 hours and was tired. The wind increased to a steady 35 and I went to furl to 90% in the 3 AM darkness. I ALWAYS close the sheet stopper on the furling line after I use it. But, nope this time I had just cleated the furling line so when I undid the cleat, ASSUMING, the sheet stopper would hold - the sail suddenly and violently unfurled to it's full glory in 35+ knots.

I then used the little Harken to refurl the line to the proper 90% setting. Eventually I had to use the Harken as a turning block and lead the furling line to the lewmar 44 genoa winch. The flapping sail was just too much for my tired brain to deal with.

End of stupid single hander sailing yarn!
Old 24-12-2014, 18:26   #25

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I use a dedicated #6 Harken single speed winch (little itty bitty thing) for controlling the furling line on the way out. I single hand a lot and putting one wrap around the drum makes it much easier to keep the appropriate tension on the furling line as it goes out.

The furling line comes aft and goes thru a Lewar rope clutch and then leads to the Harken winch just aft of the wheel.

When furling either sail I use the Harken as a turning block to lead to the place I like to be in the cockpit. If I have waited too long to furl (wind is a little more than useful) I put a wrap around the drum but still furl by hand.
This is my exact setup and method on my 36' boat. PO installed the little winch right where the furling line comes into the (back of the) cockpit.

Only thing I might add is: Gloves.

Not sure how many others use them, but I always have them in the cockpit, ready to use. My furling line is also of a smaller diameter, but I overcome this by wearing sailing gloves with leather grips/palms.

My assumption is that I should be able to furl the genoa by hand (without gloves) in light winds. Use gloves when winds are 15~20kts. Only use the winch in extreme situations - and then only if I am certain nothing's jammed, loose, etc.
Old 24-12-2014, 18:43   #26

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Once we changed the route the furler line took, and made it straighter and kept the angle of incidence between the furler and all the cockpit straighter, we no longer have to use a winch.

Tight angles and old furler leads were the culprit on our boat.

We replaced the old schaffer rolling leads with new harken roller bearing leads and removed one and that made all the difference.
Old 24-12-2014, 18:49   #27

TacomaSailor; thank you for the great yarn. Thank you everyone else for great insight and information. I didn't start the thread but am sure glad I participated.

Merry Christmas!

Brian & Carol McMahon
s/v Windchaser
Old 25-12-2014, 09:40   #28

Boat: sabre 456

Over 15 knots true we routinely use a winch to furl while easing the sheet. We have a furlex furler on our Sabre 456. To date, no problems.
Old 25-12-2014, 09:56   #29

Boat: Lagoon 420

I'm not a big fan of winching to furl due to potential damage if something is caught up. But like others have said it is too hard to pull the furling line under some conditions.

I've put the furling line on a winch before and then pull sideways on the furling line to get some mechanical advantage and wrap the genoa then pull up on the winch, pull the line, repeat to get it all the way in.

Works fairly decent.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 10:48   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

My two cents............
You do what you have to do, when you have to do it, know you own systems, your boat, its limmits, and performance falue of it components. Until you do, I would suggest you keep it tyed to the dock...

Tags
furler, roller furler, winch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: