Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Do you have a loose footer main?
Yes 46 59.74%
No 22 28.57%
I regularly sail on more than one boat - most are loose footed 4 5.19%
I regularly sail on more than one boat - it's about 50/50 5 6.49%
I regularly sail on more than one boat - most are not loose footed 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2016, 10:20   #31

Boat: RR370
Re: Do you have a Loose Foot?

Yes one of the best thing invented.

Old 08-09-2016, 00:03   #32

Boat: 1971 cal 27

i used to have a loose foot but the doctor discovered the ankle just needed tightening. good as new, now.

we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:59   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Yes one of the best thing invented.
Probably invented before the wheel.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19   #34

Boat: 41' yawl

My mainsail has lugs to attach to the boom.

When you are loose footed, do you actually have draft all the way down to the foot of the sail (assuming your outhaul isn't cranked all the way)? And is this what the major benefit is? Having horsepower at the longest, lowest part of the sail does sound pretty beneficial!!

But can I really just unhook the lugs? Isn't my sail cut to account for the fact that it's attached to a straight boom, and increases the draft as you go up away from it?

I'm imagining the shape being wonky unless the outhaul is cranked hard, but by doing that I've depowered the rest of the sail, too, and am worse off than where I started?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56   #35

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
But can I really just unhook the lugs? Isn't my sail cut to account for the fact that it's attached to a straight boom, and increases the draft as you go up away from it?
I have assumed the answer to this is no, but also thought a competent sail loft could recut the foot to make it loose. Will find out this winter!
Old 10-09-2016, 00:35   #36
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 30-5

I want to thank all who posted here. I just ordered a new main from Precision Sails in Victoria Canada. Because of an overwhelming % of you like a loose foot I decided to try it. Darryl the owner and sail designer concurred with all the above positive benefits of loose foot. This is my first sailboat and of course my first new sail, so it was really great to once again find info on this site given by very knowledgeable folks. Once again Thank you.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:31   #37

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:

I'm imagining the shape being wonky unless the outhaul is cranked hard, but by doing that I've depowered the rest of the sail, too, and am worse off than where I started?
Most cruising mains will not have any "cut" differences that would prevent you from simply not attaching the foot, to go loose footed. Some mains have a panel cut into the foot with much shape to induce depth (sometimes called a twist foot). This is different then a lens foot, which is a lense shaped panel extending below the foot to create an end plate affect with an eased out main. A twist foot will look like a seam that arcs between tack/clew, and into the foot of the sail about 10" to 14". Even with a twist foot, you can still try going loose footed - the shape will be affected by the induced shape, so it may or may not set up ok. A sail without twist foot, converted to loose footed with setup just fine.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:58   #38

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
I have assumed the answer to this is no, but also thought a competent sail loft could recut the foot to make it loose. Will find out this winter!
Just try it I'd say, it'll only take a few minutes to pull the foot out and re-attach the clew. You won't damage it. See how she goes and how it is to reef it. I doubt any re-cutting will be needed or make a noticeable difference.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:32   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
My mainsail has lugs to attach to the boom.

When you are loose footed, do you actually have draft all the way down to the foot of the sail (assuming your outhaul isn't cranked all the way)? And is this what the major benefit is? Having horsepower at the longest, lowest part of the sail does sound pretty beneficial!!

More than draft all the way down you also get controllable draft all the way do wn the sail.

There isn't much of a cut difference, though in preformance sails there is a slight one, the major difference is that loose foot sails typically have a shelf built into the foot. It's really just a loose piece of fabric that gets pulled tight, and adds an end plate effect. So there isn't a hole between the foot of the sail and the boom when the outhaul is eased. But it probably isn't worth worrying about unless you are racing.

Controlling this end plate effect is becoming more and more important on really high speed boats, but for cruisers it isn't worth worrying about.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 18:19   #40

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Loose footed is actually pretty common these days. Esp given the increasing number of cats in the market/cruising. Many cats are built loose footed.

Assisting with repositioning Lagoon 38 from Curaçao to Panama now...loose footed. Now in Cartagena.

In theory better sail shape than a full footed, but of course on most cats and an increasing number of monos the foot is down in a stack pack which may render that more of just a technicallity.

My cat is alo loose footed.
Old 16-09-2016, 06:37   #41

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

My current boat (Pearson Triton) has a loose footed main. I got it by accident. I love it. I have lazy jacks and a typical cover with slits at the jacks.

I am restoring a 47' ketch and will likely go with loose footed sails - main & mizzen. I'm curious about how folks secure their loose footed sails. Lazy jacks? Dutchman? How do you cover it? Standard cover? Stackpack?

I am intrigued by the stackpack but worry that all that material ruins the benefit from the loose foot.

Anybody with experience in that area?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: