Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2019, 18:58   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Deck lighting options

Hi all,

Heading up the mast soon, always a fun job. While I am up there, I figured it would be good to do the deck lighting.

Currently I have one of those combo steaming light/halogen deck flood things on the front of the mast. It's ok, but not great, and it only lights up the foredeck., so I am looking for advice on additional deck lighting options.

My initial thought is to put a couple of lights either side of the mast under the lower spreaders, in combination with either a separate foredeck flood light or at least a LED bulb in place of the existing halogen.

I am hoping to avoid running extra wires in the mast, so ideally if I added these lights I would run them all from the existing circuit (plenty of copper to support the current load) but I did wonder if this might be a problem, for instance can you think of a situation where I might only want to turn on the foredeck floodlight without the spreader floodlights.

Can anyone share some wisdom on the options. For the record, single mast 42 foot boat with double spreaders, very, very uncluttered flat decks and a well covered center cockpit (so no light intrusion to the cockpit from above).

Matt
Old 20-07-2019, 19:10   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Deck lighting options

Not sure why you need extra lighting.... only time I use my foredeck light is when anchoring/de-anchoring.

In or out of marinas always plenty of ambient light to see what is going on.

Those Davis anchor lights https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Utility.../dp/B00144BCYY incorporate a downlight.... hang under boom over cockpit.. never lose your beer again....

As to wiring... yes I think you would want the ability to just have the foredeck light on...
Old 20-07-2019, 19:16   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... I do like KISS.

I can't think why I would need seperate foredeck and spreader mounted side lights but YMMV.

BTW, I hate those combo steaming light/halogen deck flood lights. The steaming side is OK, but the open halogen flood isn't IMO (unless you have one with a sealed halogen lamp).

I'm with El P, deck lights rarely (never?) used underway at sea. Very occasionally used a small head mounted light if necessary.

Just a humble opinion - take it as a FWIW.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 19:26   #4

I hate Aquasignal combo steam/deck lights..... in fact I hate most Aquasignal stuff.

Replaced my A/S combo a few years ago with a Hella, far better bit of kit.
Old 20-07-2019, 20:15   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Deck lights can kill night vision, making them hazardous to use under way at night. Lights on the spreaders will definitely shine or reflect into the helmsperson's eyes. If you're tied up, aren't there lights on the dock? As others have said, ambient light is generally sufficient.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 20:48   #6

Boat: Columbia 50

You can angle spreader lights one slightly forward and one slightly aft, covering the whole deck.

I just repainted my mast, and ended up putting the old sealed beam spreader lights back on. While they are power hogs, at 5ah, they only see infrequent use,a and I find the yellowish light is easy on the eyes, not really killing my night vision, whereas I find the much brighter, cold white of led spreader lights much too harsh. The sealed-beams give a much more pleasant atmothsphere, yet are adequate to let you see what you’re doing.

I have these

https://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/sea...hoCYI8QAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81523B9D-7E50-4540-BE52-D82EA8EBB428.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	196305  
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 21:13   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Thanks guys, keep the thoughts coming.

One clarification I should have made though... it is my intention to be practically never at a marina once I leave here in November. So I am really thinking of the lights for when I am anchored at unpopulated unlit bays and coves around the coast of Oz or out in the pacific somewhere.
Old 20-07-2019, 21:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
.......when I am anchored at unpopulated unlit bays and coves around the coast of Oz or out in the pacific somewhere.
Oh..... where are they? ....

Methinks you will be best served by a pair of Davis lights... bet your anchor light is at the top of the mast.........
Old 20-07-2019, 21:28   #9

Whack a couple of low(ish) power well sealed LEDS (say IP67) on the lower spreaders and use the high power LED torch (flashlight ) for the very few occasions when you need much more light on deck at that remote anchorage. Most of the time, any extra light that is needed will be directed towards the water side of things, not the deck side of things (IME)!

Remember cruising is more enjoyable when KISS is the guiding principle - I know you know this
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-07-2019, 21:30   #10

... this is about as remote as you can get in Oz.... and this was on a quiet day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWNewpix0005.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	196307  
Old 20-07-2019, 21:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
... this is about as remote as you can get in Oz.... and this was on a quiet day...
Haha, Tassie's answer to the Whitsundays; everyone wants to go there !
BTW, no boats there today or for the last couple of weeks (months?) AFAIK.

There is remote and then there is remote, try anchoring in the mouth of the Wenlock and Ducie rivers (12S141.9E) for some real quiet but not so much peace unless there is an onshore breeze to keep the mossies and midges at bay.

There are others that are better but I'm not advertising them - of obvious reasons - but I might whisper them to GILow one day .
Old 20-07-2019, 22:52   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well Matt, I think that my elder eyes don't do as well at night as some other's apparently do, for I've found a deck light to be useful at times. For instance, untangling a birds nest of jib sheets (operator error in not tailing the lazy sheet when furling), watching chain markers go out whilst anchoring, securing the deflated RIB on the foredeck at night, discouraging shags from perching on the bow pulpit... lots of things.

Over the years we've used various forms of deck lighting, long ago mounted under the spreaders but for years now a mast mounted single lamp in several formats. Current one is a steal from the RV world, sealed up LEDs, quite bright and enough spread to the beam to be useful... draws well less than an Amp, and less expensive than "marine" models. This one is just under the radar dome, angled down to cover the whole foredeck and a bit beyond.

Use of ambient light is great when adequate... it's just that I seem not to find it enough much of the time and head torches can be a nuisance in rainy and windy conditions.

Jim
Old 20-07-2019, 23:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well Matt, I think that my elder eyes don't do as well at night as some other's apparently do, for I've found a deck light to be useful at times. For instance, untangling a birds nest of jib sheets (operator error in not tailing the lazy sheet when furling), watching chain markers go out whilst anchoring, securing the deflated RIB on the foredeck at night, discouraging shags from perching on the bow pulpit... lots of things.
You make a good point Jim regarding ageing eyes. I was making my comments based on past experience gained when my eyes were much better than they are today so the advice may not be relevant to Matt.

I seem to forget I not as good as I once thought I was
Old 20-07-2019, 23:47   #14

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I love my new deck lighting... Obvs no one is night sailing with them on, but for a few other reasons: Spotlight low on mizzen aimed forward lights up the whole deck. The deck light high up on the main does a decent job, but for handling the dinghy at night on deck, it's better. Mizzen downlights light up the stern. Yes we've used it parking in marinas out of season at night...it's just better to see all around. In one combo or another it's great at anchor...our anchor light is pointless, and besides, I never much believed in a tiny bright light 20+ meters above what it's trying to prevent drunks in dinghies from running into (or this drunk in a dinghy trying to get home ) Lastly, it is one of my "safety items" I was talking about before... light up the boat and the dinghy snippers will probably pick on the one next door with only a little anchor light glowing. Plus nice for night swimming or sundeck disco parties
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 00:19   #15

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Currently I have one of those combo steaming light/halogen deck flood things on the front of the mast. It's ok, but not great, and it only lights up the foredeck., so I am looking for advice on additional deck lighting options.

My initial thought is to put a couple of lights either side of the mast under the lower spreaders, in combination with either a separate foredeck flood light or at least a LED bulb in place of the existing halogen.

I am hoping to avoid running extra wires in the mast, so ideally if I added these lights I would run them all from the existing circuit (plenty of copper to support the current load) but I did wonder if this might be a problem, for instance can you think of a situation where I might only want to turn on the foredeck floodlight without the spreader floodlights.
Matt,

I did exactly what you are describing. I have one switch for spreader lights and it turns on the LED spreader lights as well as the foredeck light. I could think of no reason to switch them separately.

They are not used often. Underway, I have used them once to illuminate the main when I had a major tear and each time when reefing at night. Safety is paramount and if I need to go to the mast at night to reef, I want good light at the mast. A foredeck light does not help illuminate this area on our boat.

I can see that it would also help to add security lighting.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, lighting