Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 14:47   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Cutting 1X19 Life Line Wire

Put a couple of drops of Crazy Glue on the cable after you have taped it. And plain masking tape will be good enough. The Crazy Glue will hold the fibers solid while you are cutting. A black fiberglass cutting disc should make neat work of the cable.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:48   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Using a cutting wheel without eye protection is rather foolish. Any uncut off wheel has the potential to break. This could have some very bad results!

The trick to not breaking the wheel is keeping it perpendicular; as well as going slow and letting the cutoff wheel set the pace of the cut- not the user.

FWIW, then working on deck or over/around fiberglass, I work over a sheet of aluminum foil. The flakes of material being cut collect on the foil and don't imbed in the glass. Real handy when cutting the anchor chain cause the PO used a SS shackle on galvanized chain.
!00% on the eye protection. I sometimes neglect this in some situations but never using a Dremel cutoff. Also agree on techniques. They help but the little wheels still break easily and often.

Cutting even SS on the boat it's good to catch all the little bits as they will leave millions of little rust spots everywhere.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:18   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Geeze guys, why make such a bid deal out of this simple task? A fine tooth hack saw, a bit of tape and clamping the wire in a vise close to the cut works just fine. For all the different types of mechanical fittings I've used, having a perfect 90 degree cut is not important, and all the instructions I've read suggest using a file to round off or chamfer the edges of t he cut strands. The latter will be helpful in getting the strands to start crimping down around the cone.

I've used Sta-Lok, Norseman, Sea Rig and some un named one that came with a Reef-Rite furler. They all worked well and none were very picky about the way you cut the wire.

Jim
Old 06-09-2016, 15:47   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Geeze guys, why make such a bid deal out of this simple task? A fine tooth hack saw, a bit of tape and clamping the wire in a vise close to the cut works just fine. For all the different types of mechanical fittings I've used, having a perfect 90 degree cut is not important, and all the instructions I've read suggest using a file to round off or chamfer the edges of t he cut strands. The latter will be helpful in getting the strands to start crimping down around the cone.

I've used Sta-Lok, Norseman, Sea Rig and some un named one that came with a Reef-Rite furler. They all worked well and none were very picky about the way you cut the wire.

Jim

Reality check.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 16:01   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

The best tool for rigging wire up to 1" is a Portaband saw. Milwaukee and Porter Cable make great ones

Borrow one from a friend for 20 minutes
We cut a lot of 9/16 1-19 with one... Goes through it like the proverbial hot knife thru butter

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 16:06   #36

Boat: Seafarer36c

Where a cut-off wheel is really bad is with HiMod fittings. They have a disk with perfect sized holes and the slag left from cutting makes the wires not fit, so each wire needs to be filed down. A hack saw is a better choice.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 23:40   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Defender sells good quality 1x19. Suncor swageless fittings work will on my uncoated life lines. I learned a tip from a rigger to fill the swageless fittings with LifeCaulk. I still get a little corrosion, but it seems only to be slight patina and doesn't get worse over a couple of years.
I always use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and get really clean cuts with no unravelling of the wire.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote