Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2008, 22:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Cruising spinnaker weight

Hello,

I have been searching all the use sail website for a ASY spinnaker and I found one. The only thing is that it's a racing chute. Very high quality all radial, great condition but the material weight is .6oz Polyester.

I don't think I will want to fly it in anything much greater than 15kts.

I was looking for a 1.5oz mostly for durability.

boat. The guy selling it says it would work perfect of course. But as I am new to all of this, I just wanted to see what some of you thought.

Negatives...positives?

Thanks
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 22:30   #2

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
How big is your boat? A typical 30' cruising boat can get by with a 0.75 oz and 0.6 oz isn't that different. A 40' cruising boat should think hard about 1.5 oz because it is more bulletproof and deals with the larger loads of the higher sail area
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 22:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Its a 40' boat 18,000 lbs

Perhaps I should keep looking for that 1.5

Thanks
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 23:52   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
You could......but IMHO most of the winds you'll encounter when cuising will be light..........so a lighter sail would be much more functional.
When the winds are heavy a poled out headsail would be a better bet plus also easier to handle.
Do remember a race cut tri-radial will have bigger shoulders than a designed cruising spinnaker - meaning it might take a bit more to trim or need to be over-trimmed to retain its shape without adjustment.
G'wan, take it - you'll love sweeping past those others on the same course............
JOHN
Old 15-10-2008, 03:45   #5

I'm not a big fan of poly for kites. The material is more stable the nylon but not as durable. I have also seen it develop a shudder when sailing in lightish air and some chop, seems like the nylon kites have more dampening in that condition.

I do agree with Swagman though, buy a ligher sail, you don't need 1.5 ounce. You probably will not be flying the kite in 45 knots. Our 3/4 oz kites have regularly seen 30, once in a while they have seen mid 40's with no problem.

Our 3/4 assy is fine in the low 20's. We sail this boat with shy crew so we tend to be more conservative.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker