Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 10:15   #91

Re: Critique my running backstays thoughts.

I see two things I would do a bit differently. The first one would be to strip the cover off and run just the bare Dynema through the rings, it will offer even less friction. This will not cause any concern for UV degradation. I had Samson rope at tested some bare Dynema that had been baking in the California and Mexican sun shine for 12 years. The test results are showing 72% of original strength. The second thing is it appears that it is just cleated off. I really hope you are planning on taking that to a winch in order to get proper tension on it so they can do it’s job as designed. Looks like a good layout.
Bluewater664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 11:04   #92

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Norm on Averisera approves
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 12:10   #93

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I finally got a picture of our set up, it still needs to be tweaked and tested. We used dyneema and low friction rings. Our stanchions have been removed for rebedding bases and new stanchions. Attachment 182339

I assume the attachment to the toe rail is temporary?
Old 16-12-2018, 16:36   #94

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater664 View Post
I see two things I would do a bit differently. The first one would be to strip the cover off and run just the bare Dynema through the rings, it will offer even less friction. This will not cause any concern for UV degradation. I had Samson rope at tested some bare Dynema that had been baking in the California and Mexican sun shine for 12 years. The test results are showing 72% of original strength. The second thing is it appears that it is just cleated off. I really hope you are planning on taking that to a winch in order to get proper tension on it so they can do it’s job as designed. Looks like a good layout.
It's 7/16 NER VPC performance line and I'm not too worried about the friction as it won't be worked very often. I can't strip the cover on the VPC because it's vectran which doesn't do well with UV. I think it's a good alternative to dyneema and I don't need to add a cover and it's cheaper than say a Endura braid if I remember correctly. No, it's just cleated off at the dock because I'm using the aft which for our quarter spring. It would normally, under sail, be to the secondary lazy winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I assume the attachment to the toe rail is temporary?
Right now, yes. I'm not 100 percent sure on the exact spots I want to put the anchors. I have 2 of Wichards largest folding padeyes that will go to each runner. It's a good way to figure out where before I drill all the holes.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 17:08   #95

You are absolutely correct, you do not want to strip VPC. The core is a vectran blend but the weave is such that it just will come apart without a cover to keep everything in the proper alignment. The vectran will hold up for a couple years at best before it suffers from UV deteration.
Bluewater664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 05:02   #96

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater664 View Post
You are absolutely correct, you do not want to strip VPC. The core is a vectran blend but the weave is such that it just will come apart without a cover to keep everything in the proper alignment. The vectran will hold up for a couple years at best before it suffers from UV deteration.
Exactly. Plus the way that the cover is braided, it's a very tight cover. In fact, we typically do our own splicing but I sent these off for eye splices after my attempts to get the core out! I suspect it will slide well enough for the "one time adjustment" that runners typically see.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstays, running backstays