Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 06:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Cost to replace Standing Rigging on Lagoon 420

Hi all,

My boat, a 2009 Lagoon 420, got hit by lightning recently and the shipyard is suggesting I replace the standing rigging.

Their recommendation is based on two things - one, the rigging is 9 years old and has reached the end of it's life expectancy according to the rigger.

Second, about 2/3rds of the rigging is covered in black plastic to prevent chaffing against the main. Therefore, there is no way to examine the rigging without sacrificing this plastic that cannot be replaced.

I have a couple questions, concerns. One has to do with the cost to replace the rigging - the shipyard has a quote for 11k for the rigging - that includes removing the old rigging - plus 3k to install the new rigging. All in the shipyard is charging me 15k for the job.

At this point the shipyard has me over a barrel in that my boat has already been hauled out and the mast is down. If I go somewhere else I will have to absorb those initial costs again of getting hauled out and having the mast dropped. Still, this price seems way high, thoughts? Suggestions on who to call for better price?

Second issue is that the surveyor is reluctant to make a statement to the insurance company suggesting it should be covered as he can't see any explicit evidence of damage from the strike, yet everyone involved suggests for safety sake I should replace.

Any ideas, thoughts are welcome.

thanks
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 08:45   #2

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Cost to replace Standing Rigging on Lagoon 420

http://www.riggingonly.com

Take your measurements, go online and price check. They can send you completed rigging ready to go. Then, call them.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:26   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Cost to replace Standing Rigging on Lagoon 420

All Standing rigging replaced and terminals upgraded in size, cost me 8k Euro in Turkey last year. (2 Diamond Stays, 2 shrouds on each side, forestay, the bit across the seagull striker etc)

Lagoon 450 F

Prices your being quoted sounds high.

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 01:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Boat should not have to hauled to take the mast down. I’ve done it up and down with a crane. The nine years is overly cautious; some would say BS. I have heard the same quoting 10 years but I have also had a rigger say just inspect every 6 months instead of annually.

I have same of plastic cover. Wire strands hardly fail in the middle of a run where it is not flexing for all intents and purposes; it’s the terminals that fail first. I would not be concerned about looking for strands that are broken but if you simply rotate the covers should give you a clue if one is rubbing up against a broken strand.

Be sure whoever inspects your rigging uses something like a head mounted go camera and gives you a copy so you can go over yourself for peace of mind and for documentation.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 01:40   #5

Boat: Endeavour 40CC

When you said "the surveyor is reluctant to make a statement for the insurance company" my first thought was if he said that he knows there is not a problem and doesn't want to get involved in the yard taking the insurance company to the bank.

Seems that if he has no relationship with the insurance company and there is truly an issue he would have no problem at all signing off on damage.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 09:01   #6

I am both a surveyor and rigger. 9 years is not old for the rigging, though it is at that stage where an annual check is required. Lightning rarely damages the standing rigging and its effects are not difficult to detect. That cost does seem high. Why was the mast taken down?
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 09:31   #7

Boat: Lagoon 500

Replaced all standing rigging on my Lagoon 500 in April after a rig survey found a cracked cap shroud eye end. Rig was 10 years old at the time.

Cost of rigging; 120k HKD.
Labour; 40k HKD.

Mast was removed and refitted with the boat in the water.

All work was done by Carbotech in Hong Kong. Would certainly recommend them.

Boat has had 2 lightning strikes in the past 6 years. Good for electronics upgrade but not so good for insurance premiums...
AndyinAbudhabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 11:10   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

For reference, we had rigging changed out on our Seawind 1000 (33 ft) cat in 2015 by professional outfit in Kemah, Texas. It has a double-spreader rig, with jib furler on forestay. The mast was removed from the boat with a crane, and reinstalled a few weeks later with same. Changed out all of the SS wire, turnbuckles, fittings, and even the gull striker and martingale wires. Also changed out all of the electrical and instrument wiring, masthead and steaming lights to LED, added a internal conduit and made custom mounting plate for radar installation, new stack pack lines, and then reinstalled the mast and tuned the rigging. Total rigger bill was $9,100 including $700 in sales tax. About $4,000 of that was labor (~40 man-hrs). The yard crane cost another $500 for pulling, and then reinstalling the mast. So total was $9600, but about $2000 of that was for new lighting, radar wire conduit and base plate, electrical and instrument wiring.

When we returned from our four-month trip from Texas to Bahamas and back, the rigger went up the mast and checked things out again, did some minor tuning, and we were good to go again.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 16:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
For reference, we had rigging changed out on our Seawind 1000 (33 ft) cat in 2015 by professional outfit in Kemah, Texas. It has a double-spreader rig, with jib furler on forestay. The mast was removed from the boat with a crane, and reinstalled a few weeks later with same. Changed out all of the SS wire, turnbuckles, fittings, and even the gull striker and martingale wires. Also changed out all of the electrical and instrument wiring, masthead and steaming lights to LED, added a internal conduit and made custom mounting plate for radar installation, new stack pack lines, and then reinstalled the mast and tuned the rigging. Total rigger bill was $9,100 including $700 in sales tax. About $4,000 of that was labor (~40 man-hrs). The yard crane cost another $500 for pulling, and then reinstalling the mast. So total was $9600, but about $2000 of that was for new lighting, radar wire conduit and base plate, electrical and instrument wiring.

When we returned from our four-month trip from Texas to Bahamas and back, the rigger went up the mast and checked things out again, did some minor tuning, and we were good to go again.
Seems like they did a good job.
Could you share their name/ phone #?
Drmanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 16:48   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmanso View Post
Seems like they did a good job.
Could you share their name/ phone #?
Stir-n-Rigging, owned by Kevin Wilson. In the Kemah area. 281-334-7849. They have a shop at Seabrook Shipyard as well, which is where the mast was removed and rerigged. They are very good, but not cheapest.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:04   #11

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Stir-n-Rigging, owned by Kevin Wilson. In the Kemah area. 281-334-7849. They have a shop at Seabrook Shipyard as well, which is where the mast was removed and rerigged. They are very good, but not cheapest.

Stix-n-rig’n for those wanting to look it up.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:44   #12

How long have you owned this boat?

How long have you been sailing and owning a boat of your own?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 18:19   #13

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Wow.. Those prices are insane..

We replaced our rigging DIY with Rigging Only about 3 years ago. Our Cat is pretty close to the same size as your boat, so the numbers should be pretty close. It cost us about $3000 including ALL hardware and the steering cable and some furler bits. It wasn't hard at all, especially if your rig is down. You just need a $40 dollar tape measure from Home Depot.

I cannot recommend Rigging Only enough. They were fantastic to work with and patiently answered all my questions. In the end I not only got a quality rig, but I understood the entire thing.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 18:24   #14

My OP got ripped by a SF Bay Area rigger - over $20,000 for a 42 foot boat. Didn't touch the chainplates.....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 18:25   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopirata View Post
I am both a surveyor and rigger. 9 years is not old for the rigging, though it is at that stage where an annual check is required. Lightning rarely damages the standing rigging and its effects are not difficult to detect. That cost does seem high. Why was the mast taken down?

Many insurance companies will not insure multihull standing rigging over 10 years.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420, rigging