Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 09:08   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Cost to replace rigging

I recently purchased a 1986 Tashiba-31 rigged as a cutter. She still has the original standing rigging and my sail plans will make it prudent to replace it all.

I'm not familiar with the costs associated with this. I'm getting quotes from a number of Puget Sound area riggers and received the first today. They want $8,000 to pull the mast, replace all electrical in the mast and replace all rigging with T316 1x19 (same as currently on boat)

Is this quote in the ballpark?

FYI - I realize that I could do a lot of this myself to save money, but the boat is 800 miles away and I have limited time to work on it. Taking time off without pay is also expensive!
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:19   #2

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Cost to replace rigging

1. Make a spreadsheet listing every component you want replaced
2. Look up cost of each component
3. Add up numbers
4. Estimate time required for labor
5. Subtract cost of components from total estimate
6. Divide remainder by estimated hours of labor to get labor cost
7. Estimate what you time is worth
9. Estimate your travel expenses

Can you do the work in fewer hours?
Is your total cost (components, travel, missed work, skinned knuckles) less than the labor cost?
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 11:01   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

YEP. As the poster above said.

To me, it looks expensivish BUT since you want others to do the job I guess you will have to pay what they ask.

I think a similar DIY could be less than 3k. Hence a quote of 8 to 9 k from pros sounds reasonable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 11:10   #4

Ok, if I was to do this myself, how much time will it normally take - excluding the chainplates. I'm already working on those.
Old 24-07-2016, 11:23   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
Ok, if I was to do this myself, how much time will it normally take - excluding the chainplates. I'm already working on those.
How fast do you learn? Do you research, plan and only then advance? Or do you "get the general gist" and fly by the seat of your pants?

One method will usually result in more do overs and more materials.
Old 24-07-2016, 11:25   #6

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I just got all new wire and terminals from Sailing services in Miami shipped air to Malaysia for a 39ft ketch (two mast) all done was less than 4K with air freight.
Old 24-07-2016, 11:29   #7

I generally do my homework first, then proceed. Fairly handy with tools - grew up having to do a lot of mechanical work on the farm. Recently replaced whiskerstay and bow light wiring. My biggest concern is the time involved - that is one thing I don't have any free at this time.
Old 24-07-2016, 11:32   #8

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I just got all new wire and terminals from Sailing services in Miami shipped air to Malaysia for a 39ft ketch (two mast) all done was less than 4K with air freight.
Cheaper labour in America? That's weird. I had Pope in Maine do it for $2200 for my 35 ft sloop. I know the guy though so....
Old 24-07-2016, 11:57   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It's not especially expensive if the mast, spreaders, and boom are also serviced. It sounds too high if merely stringing new wires and installing new turnbuckles. How many electronic components are on the mast? New halyards and other lines?
Old 24-07-2016, 12:06   #10

Boat: Tartan 37

Sailing Services is a top notch rigging shop, did my 37ft'er standing rigging for a little over $2.5k material only. Rewiring was a major pain, getting them pull took 3 guys about 6 hours. It depends oh what you pull. I ran mast head, vhf, 3 spares, steaming, deck lights and radar wiring. Wiring material about $350 and then pulling the mast $450.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 13:38   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Sounds a not unreasonable price to me.

Make sure they use Sta-loks rather than swaged so you can do it yourself next time....
Old 24-07-2016, 13:40   #12

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I recently purchased a 1986 Tashiba-31 rigged as a cutter. She still has the original standing rigging and my sail plans will make it prudent to replace it all.

I'm not familiar with the costs associated with this. I'm getting quotes from a number of Puget Sound area riggers and received the first today. They want $8,000 to pull the mast, replace all electrical in the mast and replace all rigging with T316 1x19 (same as currently on boat)

Is this quote in the ballpark?

FYI - I realize that I could do a lot of this myself to save money, but the boat is 800 miles away and I have limited time to work on it. Taking time off without pay is also expensive!
8000 u$ is a bit to much but not far from reality, keep in mind they unstep step the mast, service furlers, reswage new wires, rewiring the Dc stuff, probably with new turnbuckles and they are expensive, etc.. and always there is a bad surprise somewhere...

If you want to do it by yourself , stalock is your answer since riggers hate if a customer come with a set of old wires and later there is a problem with the dimensions if you fail to measure well.... just saying.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 13:42   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

It sounds like it's on the high side but not outrageously so. It depends on the exact work order, but if they are also replacing the conduit, redoing a complicated electrical system, stepping and restepping the rig, and replacing a cutters rigging... It just doesn't sound all that high too me.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 14:47   #14

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

As others have posted, the estimate sounds reasonable, but on the high side. Presumably the quotes are from well established yards that will guarantee their work. Even with a professional there's a good chance of a do-over, so there's likely some of that built into the estimate.
Given you have limited access to the boat, and haven't done rigging work in the past, hiring a rigger is probably a good idea. You might be able to save a bit by hiring an independent rigger, not part of a boatyard crew. He could replace the rigging with the mast up. That will take more hours, but it avoids the cost of the mast unstep/restep and the boatyard overhead. Electrical wiring can be replaced with the mast up as well, but if you are doing that and the lights and rigging you might has well take the mast down.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 15:07   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I will add my agreement that $8000 is in the ballpark but a liitel on the high side.

The problem I think is the wiring. Where is the boat and who will pull the mast? Depending on the resources available it could cost a few hundred to $1000 to pull the mast. Is the boat in a yard with a crane able to do it there or do they have to bring in a crane from outside? Is the wiring run through a conduit or hanging (and banging) loose inside the mast. If, like my mast, all the wiring is tied together, including the VHF antennae cable they the cable will need to be pulled as well. Are they including the cost for new VHF cable?

Bottom line, if I was bidding this job I would pad the bid a bit until I got into the mast and saw exactly what was involved in the wiring job.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging