Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 15:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Cost to replace rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Sailing Services is a top notch rigging shop, did my 37ft'er standing rigging for a little over $2.5k material only. Rewiring was a major pain, getting them pull took 3 guys about 6 hours. It depends oh what you pull. I ran mast head, vhf, 3 spares, steaming, deck lights and radar wiring. Wiring material about $350 and then pulling the mast $450.
I bought all my wire, fittings and a new Harken RF from Sailiing Services for my 42' cutter. About $7000 for the whole thing.

Have been dealing with then for 40 years but this is the last time. When I bought the furler I told themI was doing a total refit and it would at least a couple of years before it was installed and I was assured no problem they would support me in the installation and any parts or problems.

So installed the furler and found I needed a long link plate to fit my installation. Called them to arrange a swap for the $100/toogle for the long link plate, including my payment of the extra cost for the link plate. Was firmly in no way would they honor what I was told. That toggle is still used in the Harken furlers so isn't out of date and the toggle was still in the original package.

Sorry I can no longer recommend Sailing Services for rigging.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 15:33   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Did a total rig on my Westsail, boomkin stays, sprit whisker stays, bobstay, fore, aft staysail and cap shrouds, and double lower shrouds in a little over a day. Had never done it before so took it easy installing the Norseman Terminals for the first few. After those could knock out a wire, both ends in less than a 1/2 hour. Way easy to do on the ground. Rerigged current with the stick standing. A bit more complicated if the stick is in the boat, had to go to the masthead 6 times to straighten out things redoing the headstay with roller reefing. If I was a bit more organized and/or had help could have done it only going to the masthead twice and done the job in less than a day.

Pulling the stick will cost you something less than $500. How long it takes to pull all the wires and reconnect could take a day or longer. Just redid my mast and spent a couple of days installing new conduit, mast steps, running new wires, installing new running/foredeck, spreader, and mast head combo light, wind transducer, and VHF antenna. Would have gone a lot faster if I'd had someone to untangle wires, unsnarl hangups, pull wires, etc. without having to run from one end of the stick to the other constantly.

You can count the number of terminals you need and measure the amount of wire and go to Rigging Only or any rigging company and get the cost of materials. Norseman's are NLA but StaLok and Hayn terminals are very easy to do. Just follow the instructions and you'll get in a groove in no time whipping the wires out in minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
Ok, if I was to do this myself, how much time will it normally take - excluding the chainplates. I'm already working on those.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 16:17   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I think its high.

I just did mine for a 39 foot boat at us$6,000.

I did the wiring myself. You can too. Its easy when the mast is down.

Also you reduce the cost by having everything ready: the turnbuckles losened ie not frozen. All the rig ready to come down. Wiring disconected.

One of the high costs I avoided was they were quoting 2 rigger plus an assistant to pull the mast. That's $200 per hour. So any stuff you do, even if it just saves them a bit of time is bulk saving to you.

Still I would take it to another rigger. $8k is crazy.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 08:38   #19

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think its high.

I just did mine for a 39 foot boat at us$6,000.

I did the wiring myself. You can too. Its easy when the mast is down.

Also you reduce the cost by having everything ready: the turnbuckles losened ie not frozen. All the rig ready to come down. Wiring disconected.

One of the high costs I avoided was they were quoting 2 rigger plus an assistant to pull the mast. That's $200 per hour. So any stuff you do, even if it just saves them a bit of time is bulk saving to you.

Still I would take it to another rigger. $8k is crazy.
Is your mast deck stepped?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 08:52   #20

I don't know that that is outrageous if you want someone else to do it all and just want it "Turnkey". But it can be done a lot cheaper for sure. Wire is surprisingly cheap.
Some key questions:
-Are they replacing the turnbuckles? Should they? With what?
-Swaged fittings? If so, is it roller swaging?

I believe Yachtfitters in Seattle used to do Roller Swaging. You might ask. Roller swaging is used in aircraft work and is far superior to just a pressed swage.

There is probably only about $500 in wire for the complete job at retail. Keep that in mind.
Find out exactly what they are providing and let us know.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging