Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 15:31   #16

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Cost of sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We have several friends who have had sales made "offshore" and been very happy with them. I've heard it is common for many US sailmakers to have the sails mostly built in China, shipped here, and then finished up (grommets, battens, reinforcing, etc.).
It seems like our friends in the East just cannot be overlooked in any field of business.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 15:44   #17

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

For a boat your size, don't expect much change from $10,000 for a new main and headsail, in decent quality Dacron. You can spend a hell of a lot more, or a fair bit less, but, to an extent at least, you get what you pay for.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 15:45   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Keep in mind that there are common production boats using well established sails which show up on the used sail market much more frequently than some one off boat. Even for new sails a boat with well established sail size will probably be cheaper (and cut better) than new sails for less frequently seen boats.

There are several OD boats that use sails from other OD boats because of the lower cost and greater supply of popular boats. If you do a google search on "used sails" you can often find a set of good used sails for common boats and an on line app for figuring what used sails may come close to fitting the boat you need sails for.

The $US8-10k is probably a good place to start but for most live aboard cruising sail boats you may well come in at less than half that price for a very good set of sails.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 15:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Keep in mind that there are common production boats using well established sails which show up on the used sail market much more frequently than some one off boat. Even for new sails a boat with well established sail size will probably be cheaper (and cut better) than new sails for less frequently seen boats.

There are several OD boats that use sails from other OD boats because of the lower cost and greater supply of popular boats. If you do a google search on "used sails" you can often find a set of good used sails for common boats and an on line app for figuring what used sails may come close to fitting the boat you need sails for.

The $US8-10k is probably a good place to start but for most live aboard cruising sail boats you may well come in at less than half that price for a very good set of sails.
Your information appears logical and sound and I will bear that in mind when out there looking for our boat. Makes me lean even more towards a production boat like the Beneteau/Jeanneau or maybe Hunter?
Old 23-10-2012, 04:12   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

to me "good used sails" seems a weird statement used a couple of times on this thread, sounds like "cheap high quality"

doesn't seem to me that cruiser sails would normally fall into this, if they were good cruisers would still be using their
Old 23-10-2012, 04:28   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Several items will affect the cost of new sails:
1- Quality of the cloth. Dacron, f.eks. is not all the same. Wieght, weave etc will factor in.
2- How it is sewn. Cross cut? Radial? other?
3- Vendor - sewn in europe (not any more). Sri Lanka? Poland, China?

For cheap sails, google Lee Sails one of the larger chinese vendors (no guarantees on the quality from me).

Pricing is also seasonal. Virtually all sail makers will give you a significant discount of you order in September and are willing to wait for delivery until after Christmas (out of season).

Having said all that - yeah the 10 grand or so seems like a good number. Plus Minus 10% or so.

But don't forget, in sails, as in many other areas, price and quality go hand in hand. If you are planning on serious blue water cruising - do not try to "save" money on your sails. Ain't worth it - they are what is going to get you there - and back again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:33   #22

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
So many variables

We just bought a full batten main from Quantum. 8.3 challenge hi mod Dacron 3800. Sail was made in South Africa and is very well made.
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
to me "good used sails" seems a weird statement used a couple of times on this thread, sounds like "cheap high quality"

doesn't seem to me that cruiser sails would normally fall into this, if they were good cruisers would still be using their
I guess so ... unless ill health forced them landward?
Old 23-10-2012, 04:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So many variables

We just bought a full batten main from Quantum. 8.3 challenge hi mod Dacron 3800. Sail was made in South Africa and is very well made.
Glad you happy with it ... I see you have a 35 footer? May I ask what sort of cost (u obviously don't need to answer that if u don't want to).
Old 23-10-2012, 04:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Several items will affect the cost of new sails:
1- Quality of the cloth. Dacron, f.eks. is not all the same. Wieght, weave etc will factor in.
2- How it is sewn. Cross cut? Radial? other?
3- Vendor - sewn in europe (not any more). Sri Lanka? Poland, China?

For cheap sails, google Lee Sails one of the larger chinese vendors (no guarantees on the quality from me).

Pricing is also seasonal. Virtually all sail makers will give you a significant discount of you order in September and are willing to wait for delivery until after Christmas (out of season).

Having said all that - yeah the 10 grand or so seems like a good number. Plus Minus 10% or so.

But don't forget, in sails, as in many other areas, price and quality go hand in hand. If you are planning on serious blue water cruising - do not try to "save" money on your sails. Ain't worth it - they are what is going to get you there - and back again

I agree with you there. Hopefully the boat we decide on eventually will have at least a newish main sail or Genoa.
Old 23-10-2012, 04:48   #26

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Cost of the sail was 3800. High aspect main 403 cubic ft. 2 reefs, 4full battens, triple stitched, daft stripes and letters and numbers, alu,inum headboard.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Cost of the sail was 3800. High aspect main 403 cubic ft. 2 reefs, 4full battens, triple stitched, daft stripes and letters and numbers, alu,inum headboard.

Dave
Thanks for that ... seems like you got a fair deal. Happy for you.
Old 23-10-2012, 04:58   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
to me "good used sails" seems a weird statement used a couple of times on this thread, sounds like "cheap high quality" doesn't seem to me that cruiser sails would normally fall into this, if they were good cruisers would still be using their
Agreed and I would be wary of buying sails that came with a yacht originally. Quality may have been compromised to keep the costs down with the maufacturer doing a deal with the sail maker for multiple sails.

However, a second hand sail from a racing yacht determined to have the latest sails could be an interesting buy. We have a great second hand North sail from e bay, doubt it has been used more than 6 times when someone changed their minds or perhaps it just wasn't competitive enough.

New medium quality genoa for a 31ft yacht has just cost us $2000 and made in the UK. Top of the range like Hydranet or Radian was $3000 which I couldn't justify.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:58   #29

The $US8-10k is probably a good place to start but for most live aboard cruising sail boats you may well come in at less than half that price for a very good set of sails.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom, good info to have.
Old 23-10-2012, 05:00   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Just walk into a loft and ask a quote. You can get rough quotes online too.

In some places USD/EUR 80 per m2 is a fair bet. Plain kites come cheaper per m2.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sails