Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2012, 05:02   #31

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Cost of sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Just walk into a loft and ask a quote. You can get rough quotes online too.

In some places USD/EUR 80 per m2 is a fair bet. Plain kites come cheaper per m2.

b.
Thanks, does wanting personalised letters/numbers push the price up a lot or not too bad?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:13   #32

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

Just bought a new main for the tri. 450 sq ft, 8.66oz high aspect dacron, 6 full length battens,batten cars, 2 sets of reef points. US made by Mack Sails in Stuart Fl. $3600 with numbers and logo. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Just bought a new main for the tri. 450 sq ft, 8.66oz high aspect dacron, 6 full length battens,batten cars, 2 sets of reef points. US made by Mack Sails in Stuart Fl. $3600 with numbers and logo. Dave
Thanks for that info.
Old 23-10-2012, 05:54   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good used sails can be found at minneys, bacons, and some other places. folks who decide to change out sails every X number of years without using boat at all, people who want other sails than the ones that came with boat--check out the manufacturer's label on the used sails...
i found many NEW sails come from china--they arent made in the lofts selling them. north sails did that in san diego.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:01   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Thanks, does wanting personalised letters/numbers push the price up a lot or not too bad?
It should be only a minor price adjustment with any good sailmaker.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:01   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
good used sails can be found at minneys, bacons, and some other places. folks who decide to change out sails every X number of years without using boat at all, people who want other sails than the ones that came with boat--check out the manufacturer's label on the used sails...
i found many NEW sails come from china--they arent made in the lofts selling them. north sails did that in san diego.
Thanks, that info might come in handy if the boat we buy needs a sail or two.
Old 23-10-2012, 06:28   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I know there are many types of sails out there, many different sizes etc etc.

I am just trying to get an idea of a budgetary cost to make if a sail has to be replaced. Is there anyone who has recent experience of sail replacing in the 44 foot to 50 foot range monohull sloop. One to be used for cruising/liveaboard around the Caribbean/USA East Coast, thanks.
Sailrite has an online quoting system. Sailrite Sailplan Database

On the first page click on a comparable boat from the scroll list.

On the page for that boat click on the 'Price This Sail' link next to the name of the sail in question.

On the page for that sail click on all the options you want. At the very bottom of this page make sure you click on the 'Construct this Kit for Me' me option or you will be getting the kit price that is intended for folks that sew their own together.

I would do this for the sails you want for 2 or 3 boats similar to what you want in the size range of interest to get a decent ball park estimate.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:46   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Sailrite has an online quoting system. Sailrite Sailplan Database

On the first page click on a comparable boat from the scroll list.

On the page for that boat click on the 'Price This Sail' link next to the name of the sail in question.

On the page for that sail click on all the options you want. At the very bottom of this page make sure you click on the 'Construct this Kit for Me' me option or you will be getting the kit price that is intended for folks that sew their own together.

I would do this for the sails you want for 2 or 3 boats similar to what you want in the size range of interest to get a decent ball park estimate.
Now that is a very handy link, thank you.
Old 23-10-2012, 20:20   #39

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Agreed and I would be wary of buying sails that came with a yacht originally. Quality may have been compromised to keep the costs down with the maufacturer doing a deal with the sail maker for multiple sails. Pete
Hmm ... Used sails from an Oyster or a ... (dare I say it?) a Hunter?

Tough call?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 00:10   #40

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Sails that come from the factory on a new boat are generally not high quality. They are what I term "5 year sails". This is how long you can expect them to last. (lest anyone has a different experience - I'll happily concede that some manufacturers do supply good sails). The same is true for charter boats. 5 year sails.

The only used sails I would consider would be racing sails, where they had not been used much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 00:29   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Sails that come from the factory on a new boat are generally not high quality. They are what I term "5 year sails". This is how long you can expect them to last. (lest anyone has a different experience - I'll happily concede that some manufacturers do supply good sails). The same is true for charter boats. 5 year sails.

The only used sails I would consider would be racing sails, where they had not been used much.

Good info that makes sense.
Old 24-10-2012, 00:29   #42

Boat: 41' Sail

Dacron will be your longest lasting. In California, we have the wonderful 'Minneys' in Newport Beach. GOOD, used sails out the ying yang! Get your specs and check their GREAT on line listing by hoist, foot, weight, material and they even have a decent rating system of the condition. Take the sail to your local loft and have them restitch where needed, replace slides, sew on tack and clew rings, reinforce head board. Likley there are MANY such venues around the world! Huge savings.
Old 24-10-2012, 00:40   #43

Boat: 41' Sail

Seeing as you are intending to liveaboard, I would strictly stay away from any type of racing sails, new or even slightly used. Why? You're not interested in perfomance, you're interested in long lasting, durable sails that don't blow out of shape easily. Heavy weight materials are not admired in racing sails!
Been racing for most of my life and most of the newer racing sails with exotic materials/ laminations will not last more than 3-4 years. They can lose their top perfomance ability after 2 strong seasons! Dacron, well stiched cruising sails are your best bet for longevity and make sure they are well covered from UV!!!!! Take them in for restitching and touch up from time to time.
Old 24-10-2012, 00:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
Seeing as you are intending to liveaboard, I would strictly stay away from any type of racing sails, new or even slightly used. Why? You're not interested in perfomance, you're interested in long lasting, durable sails that don't blow out of shape easily. Heavy weight materials are not admired in racing sails!
Been racing for most of my life and most of the newer racing sails with exotic materials/ laminations will not last more than 3-4 years. They can lose their top perfomance ability after 2 strong seasons! Dacron, well stiched cruising sails are your best bet for longevity and make sure they are well covered from UV!!!!! Take them in for restitching and touch up from time to time.
Good advice, which echoes my thoughts on sails. Hull, rigging, sails and engine are critical for us with our intentions of living aboard/cruising, everything else from there takes a diminishing order of priority but obviously we want brand new everything and we want it at under ten dollars lol.
Old 24-10-2012, 00:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
I fully agree, I really have never had any interest in racing yachts at all. For me it is about sailing joy and satisfaction coupled with meeting people at a more relaxed place at all sorts of different places and experiencing sights and cultures wherever we may find ourselves (all of these amongst the many other privileges that go along with owning, cruising and living aboard your own world in a boat).

Tags
sails