Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2009, 13:30   #1

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
Code Zero Furler

Anyone have any scoop on furling equipment for "free flying" headsails like code zero's. i'm looking for something that can handle 1000+ sq ft headsail. how reliable are these things? who makes the best ones? are all the good ones continuous line furlers? anyone make a single-line version that can handle 3-5k lb load?
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 13:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My zero is that size.

Facnor and Karver make the best furlers. I have a facnor 6000, which is over-sized for the sail but easy to use.

They are bullet proof reliable. Great gear.

Yes all the good ones are single line. Its really necessary because sometimes the zeros can furl really tightly and you need to pull a lot of line to make many turns, and with a drum you would have run out of line.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 09:48   #3

estarzinger, thanks for the input. everyone i've talked to recommends the "continuous line" approach for the reasons you state. both the cfx4500 and the KF5 would do the job. i'm still a little in shock by the $2500 to $3k price tags. any idea why no one recommends Harken anymore? they have a model in this size & price range too.
Old 24-10-2009, 00:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiapa View Post
i'm still a little in shock by the $2500 to $3k price tags. any idea why no one recommends Harken anymore?
Yes, the price tags are outrageous for what is a basically simple device with some stock industrial bearings, but these units are mostly sold to high end racers and they don't seem to care about costs.

The harken unit looks to be not as solid a design, more little bits to break, and these furlers tend to get bounced around the bow a little. But I have never used one. I think they struggle in this market because all the development is going on in Europe and while harken has manufacturing in europe (italy), their development seems very US centric.
Old 24-10-2009, 08:44   #5

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Kiapa

I picked up a Colligo Marine CN-5 furler at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show last week. It is rated for 6000 lb SWL and boats to 48ft, so it meets your loading specs but not boat size. You could talk to John Franta to see if it is suitable for your intended use. It looks like a pretty solid piece of engineering. It has a large sheave at 7.5". Practical Sailor gave them a pretty good report in their March 08 issue. Their main complaint was the size of the head furler, which is quite a bit bigger and heavier than Facnor's, their top pick. John Franta explained that it's larger size is due to the large sealed bearing that they use in it. Defender is selling them for $1200.

Evans

I am still deciding what sail(s) to get for this furler. I am hoping to use this in place of an A-chute for downwind work, due to its ease of use for just a couple on board. I see in your discussion on downwind sails that you feel that a code zero would be your first choice if I were only to get one sail. I am wondering how much of a penalty this would be for downwind work, assuming I may also be using a poled out genny at the same time if the conditions are favorable.
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 15:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lefebvre View Post
Kiapa
I am still deciding what sail(s) to get for this furler. I am hoping to use this in place of an A-chute for downwind work, due to its ease of use for just a couple on board. I see in your discussion on downwind sails that you feel that a code zero would be your first choice if I were only to get one sail. I am wondering how much of a penalty this would be for downwind work, assuming I may also be using a poled out genny at the same time if the conditions are favorable.
This is a tough question because I don't know what sort of apples and oranges you are considering. On the furler you can fly all sorts of different shape and material sails - from true code zeros with low stretch fabric and flat cut to pretty much full size gennakers in spin cloth and deep shape and wide shoulders. For a-chutes you can be talking about full size mastheads runners in .75oz to 3/4 size chicken chutes in 1.5oz.

But generally speaking I think you will use the furled sail a ton more often than the socked a-chute, and so get more 'net cruising speed' from it just because you will fly it more - a broader range of angles, a broader range of wind, and more unsettled conditions.

The performance will also depend a bit on your boat (slug vs speedster). But again very generally, if you compare an "a-chute" vs a "zero plus poled out genoa", you will find the a-chute will set/fill/pull better in very light air/lumpy sea and you will need to turn up a bit more to keep the zero full. But in other conditions (flat seas or a bit more wind) you will not notice (in a cruising perspective) any big difference in performance (angle or boat speed).

For a cruiser, the whole gain here is to make the thing easy to use, so you use it more often, rather than whacking on the engine. If you get a zero sort of sail make sure you get a nice zippered deck bag. On passages where we expect a lot of light air we keep the bag lashed just in front of the mast so its easy to raise and stow the sail - that saves you having to drag the sail back and forth from the sail locker (or wherever it would stow below).
Old 25-10-2009, 06:21   #7

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Evans:

Thanks for the input. The ease of use is why I have decided to go the furler route for my light wind sails. As far as the range of sails to compare for the furler, I am looking at between a code zero and a full gennaker in 1.5 oz cloth. Since the Pearson 424 is not a great light wind boat, I am getting the impression that the gap between not able to keep the code zero flying and turning on the engine anyhow may not be that big.
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 07:27   #8

We considered this option for our assy but were advised by our sailmaker to not go that way. A code 1 is fine but the furlers for assy seem to still have problems. Our assy is in the range of 3,000 sq ft. The sailmaker said they were happy to have a full crew to deal with the big kites when the furlers failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lefebvre View Post
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 09:41   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I'm not certain why you'd want a code zero for cruising. They were designed as a way around a genoa penalty on a fraction rig with non-overlapping headsails because they rate as a spinnaker rather than a genoa. But for cruising it seems that a gennaker would be a far more versatile sail.
Old 25-10-2009, 10:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I'm not certain why you'd want a code zero for cruising. They were designed as a way around a genoa penalty on a fraction rig with non-overlapping headsails because they rate as a spinnaker rather than a genoa. But for cruising it seems that a gennaker would be a far more versatile sail.
Bash, they actually started on the French multihulls and single handed racers. There were adapted as 'rule beaters' in the Volvo/IMS days but are much more versitable that that.

Many of us prefer to have smaller sails (105-120) on our headstay furlers, but still the option to easily fly a big sail (without having to change sails in the foil). The zero furlers are terrific for this. Even the single handed racers go this way - picture attached of a modern open 60, with two zero furlers in front of the headstay (end of sprit and bow) and one behind (staysail/storm jib).

We have two sails we can fly on our zero furler - an upwind oriented sail (low stretch and flat cut) and a blast reacher (spinnaker cloth and full cut and higher clew).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	open 60.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	10690  
Old 25-10-2009, 13:26   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Facnor. Amazing. Expensive. Quality.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 18:02   #12

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
This is the furler I have used on my 34' Trimaran. I have 3 different headsails rolled up and bagged now. I use the small Colligo unit. In these shots I have the drifter on the ama bow. Looks wierd, works great!

In the last photo you can see I also eliminated hard shackles and went with "softies". Tons more fun!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	furler2.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	10703   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4260140.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	10704  

Name:	P4280195.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	10705   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280192.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	10706  

Name:	P4280193.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	10707  
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 19:27   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
Cream, if you chuck it overboard please let me know - I will be passing by in my dinghy ;-)
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 17:38   #14

re: CN5
paul, thanks for the tip. looks like a nice option... at about 1/2 the price. now to see if harken thimbles (#3118) will fit into the jaws of the cn5.

Tags
code zero, furler