Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 16:10   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Code Zero

On a cruising boat. What do you think, worth the bucks?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:19   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Code Zero

it depends...
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:20   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

in the Caribbean I do think you would use it much..
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:36   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would like to have one but it was too much money so I bought a second furler instead. More choices for the money.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:47   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Code Zero

It would go on a second furler, leaving the Genoa as is. Give me three headsails all on their own furler.
One thing is, if I had a 170 code zero, I think I'd want to cut my 135 Genoa down to 110 or so.
Code zero would I think give me a little better light wind capabilities. Where I now crank the motor and motor sail, maybe with the code zero, I could sail longer / more?
Old 12-07-2017, 18:01   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64pilot,

I think you should save the money for now, and then, when you're actually cruising make a note of all the times when you wish you could keep sailing rather than start the engine. With a good experiential basis behind you, you'll be in a better frame of mind to suck up the cost.

.....On the other hand, you might really get to enjoy having it, and then what?

Plus, if you come out into the Pacific, you'll find the Kiwis and the Ozzies have some good sailmakers, and eventually, sails need to be replaced. Once you have a good handle on how you and your good lady like to sail, something that will evolve with experience, you'll be in a better position to re-evaluate the whole sail plan. The independent sailmaker we use spent a lot of time talking to Jim about that before we bought our new sails.

Our experience was that after the year in Mexico, by the second cyclone season in NZ, we were ready for a new headsail. Our main had had a plied leech, and it lasted another season, iirc. Now, these were dacron sails, and a 36 footer. Plus, Jim doesn't like to sail with sails that have lost their shape. Others are less pernickety.

Just my 2 cemts worth.

Cheers, mate,

Ann
Old 12-07-2017, 18:31   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ann, one issue is the mast is being stepped tomorrow at somewhat my insistence as I want all new wiring and antennas, lights etc., to add a code zero it takes among other things a new mast head plate. So to some extent now when the mast is down is the time.
We have sailed more than I thought, chart plotter has us over 4,000 miles, the boat speed sensor about 5,000. Plotter was replaced after the first year or so.
As I have a tendency to stay in port when the seas are big, we motor and motor sail a lot, often in light winds.
Of that 5000 miles, we have run the motor right at 500 hours.
However we have always sailed to a schedule as it's been when I could get the time off, only staying in port for bad Wx.
IP will never be a good light wind boat, she is too heavy for one thing and likely too short a mast for that, but a big lightweight Genoa so to speak would help a lot I think.

It seems I am in either light winds, or 25 knots plus, wind right on the bow.
I figure I'm paying some kind of dues or something and hopefully that will stop one day.
Old 12-07-2017, 18:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, I'm trying to talk myself into it, but it is a boat load of money, with another boat load fixing to be spent on new interior and all external fabric, and a watermaker.
Old 12-07-2017, 18:36   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2432006]It would go on a second furler, leaving the Genoa as is. Give me three headsails all on their own furler.

So you would use the spin crane for the code 0. Where would you attach it down below? You would need another bow sprit or maybe a lashing?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 19:36   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ann, one issue is the mast is being stepped tomorrow at somewhat my insistence as I want all new wiring and antennas, lights etc., to add a code zero it takes among other things a new mast head plate. So to some extent now when the mast is down is the time.
We have sailed more than I thought, chart plotter has us over 4,000 miles, the boat speed sensor about 5,000. Plotter was replaced after the first year or so.
As I have a tendency to stay in port when the seas are big, we motor and motor sail a lot, often in light winds.
However we have always sailed to a schedule as it's been when I could get the time off, only staying in port for bad Wx.
IP will never be a good light wind boat, she is too heavy for one thing and likely too short a mast for that, but a big lightweight Genoa so to speak would help a lot I think.

I figure I'm paying some kind of dues or something and hopefully that will stop one day.
A64pilot,

Yes, it is a lot of money, but, you said, "it would help a lot, I think." You'll never do it any younger, man. And then, at least you'll start out set up the way you hope is best.

It is *only* money, which we all want to conserve, and you're talking about the rest of your life, for a while. Set the boat up the way you think will be best, and you can't do any more than that. If it turns out you don't like it, well, then maybe the guy did a good sales job on you, but if you want to enhance your sailing, you have to experiment. If your 130 is old and awful, replace it with whatever, but it could be wise to keep it if it's in good nick. By the way, the clue to longevity of a very lght air sail is NEVER let it stay up when the breeze is at the upper limit. That will quickly ruin its shape.

As for making multiple changes all at once, it makes it harder to tell the result of an experiment.

I think you will probably not intentionally go out in winds over 25 for a while, and then curiosity will get the better of you, and you will want to learn how best to handle the boat in stronger and stronger winds, and it will happen as your confidence grows and grows. Maybe even your wife will accompany you doing this, because it is much to her advantage to learn her limits. Do it somewhere there can be hot showers afterwards, and a pleasant relaxing evening.

Ann
Old 12-07-2017, 20:58   #11

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:

Redo your mast head plate then add the code zero later if you want it......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 22:41   #12

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
On a cruising boat. What do you think, worth the bucks?

ABOSLUTLY!! a cruising code zero on a continuous line furler. Rigged on the spin halyard. . Since I purchased it a year and half ago , the Asym hasn't been out of the bag.

Its way more versatile than a chute . It is totally manageable by myself .

One of the best bits of money I've ever spent on the boat. On the crossing from Malaysia to the Maldives it was up for 7 days straight. The sail made the passage.....

best point of sail is a close reach. I rig an inhauler and it makes all the difference in the world.

Not quite as good deep down wind as the Asym , but i dont like sailing Super deep down wind anyway.

I purchased mine from Jaime and Phil at Zoom Sails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0214 (800x533).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	151779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201 (800x533).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	151780  

lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 22:54   #13

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
It would go on a second furler, leaving the Genoa as is. Give me three headsails all on their own furler.
One thing is, if I had a 170 code zero, I think I'd want to cut my 135 Genoa down to 110 or so.
Code zero would I think give me a little better light wind capabilities. Where I now crank the motor and motor sail, maybe with the code zero, I could sail longer / more?
I woudndt cut down the Genoa 135 is a good size for youboat. When we did my new Genoa, I went from a 150 to a 130 . with the big light wind sail and the mid sized Genoa, its perfect for me at 12T loaded.

For example in 6- 8 knots of wind I can make 4 knots with the CCZ up . there are a lot of places in the world outside of the trades where the wind is jsut light. This sail has really been a game changer.

To be honest its not as expenisve as you think. I had them put on a light weight UV strip so I can leave it up for a day or two which added a bit to the cost.

Bit of a learning curve with the CLF, and I scared my self once or twice.. but once you get the hang of it they are great.

Sailing Totem has a good article on downwind Sail cruising options:
The best sails for downwind cruising | Sailing Totem

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 05:41   #14

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

I recently went through the same process and I came up with a deeper cut code 0 on a continuous line furler. Like lamadriver, I have found it to be very versatile, in fact my new 3di main hasn't been up since! Difference with mine is that I rigged it inside the forstay, easier to gybe as you don't want to tack with it, too much sail wrapping/ripping on the mast. I posted a pic previously which you can find if you check out my posts.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 06:10   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ann, the 135 is new, purchased last year. The 110 is old, but in amazingly good shape for a 30 yr old sail. Boat just wasn't used much. We have been out in greater than 25 and didn't like it, and those were winds that came up and didn't last more than 24 hours, so we didn't have the waves you would with greater than 25 sustained for days. I know it will happen, just am not looking forward to it.
It will have a UV strip in Sunbrella, I'm being told to leave it up all the time, maybe only bring it down for storms, but think if not needed, maybe stored in a bag is better as it's 2.2 oz nylon.

Tags
code zero