Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 22:29   #1

Boat: Compass 28
Cockpit Reefing - Sail Slug & Track Mods

Hi All;

I'm looking at the possibility of changing my rig to allow mainsail handling, including reefing, from the cockpit. So now it's Dumb Question Time.

Obviously there are many things to consider, but one I can't get my head around is this: unless multiple slugs are dumped out of the track, the luff cringle will end up quite a bit higher up the mast than its former position. This will mean the line of foot tension will not be correct and the sail shape will be very badly distorted.

How is this overcome in the normal conversion to cockpit reefing?

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 22:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Cockpit Reefing - Sail Slug & Track Mods

Frequently, you do dump the slugs. Reefing from the cockpit is fine. Shaking out the reef still needs someone at the mast the re-feed the slugs.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Hi All;

I'm looking at the possibility of changing my rig to allow mainsail handling, including reefing, from the cockpit. So now it's Dumb Question Time.

Obviously there are many things to consider, but one I can't get my head around is this: unless multiple slugs are dumped out of the track, the luff cringle will end up quite a bit higher up the mast than its former position. This will mean the line of foot tension will not be correct and the sail shape will be very badly distorted.

How is this overcome in the normal conversion to cockpit reefing?

Cheers, Graeme
I think it can depend - My slugs don't come out of the track and the luff is secured by a grommet on the sail being slipped over a ram's horn at the base of the boom. The grommet is between two lugs so the sail material and "cringle" is actually pulled down to the boom full length. i.e. the fold is long enough to reach the ram's horn.

Sure the "bunched" up sail and lugs probably interfere with airflow along the foot but that's gonna happen anyway but sail shape isn't a problem.

For a single line reefing system if the luff cringle's cheeck block is on the boom the same thing would happen.

Unless I am reading this wrong.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As Ex-Calif says, it depends.

While you frequently do dump slugs, on many other rigs, the reef cringle is positioned at a mid point between slugs and you have sufficient space on the luff between the slugs so that you can pull it down to the boom even with the slugs in place.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:56   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

You shouldn’t’ have to dump the slugs, unless the stopper prevents them from sliding down to the boom (or near to it). Slugs do stack up in height, a little, more if a full batten car is in the stack; but the slug spacing on the main should be such that there is a gap between each luff reef ring and closest slug below it. This is so the luff reef is pulled down enough, even past the slug stack height. Also, depending on how you set it up, the luff reef should have dog ears (or dog bones – SS rings on either side of sail, connect together by webbing going through the luff reef ring). The length of connecting webbing is adjusted to work with the slug stack height. Alternatively, you can have a jackline installed on the mainsail.
Don’t forget to consider that halyard and reefing line run through blocks on the deck and then aft, put big vertical load on deck – lifting it. Smaller sized boat are probably ok (mark the mast before and after loaded to see). This is countered by linking the deck (specifically the mast partners) to mast (if keel stepped) or to stringer/keel (something damn strong). Often this is done with SS tie-rods, but Dyneema or Dynex Dux with a turnbuckle work great and cost less.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:43   #6

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svTOTEM View Post
.... [/SIZE][/FONT]Alternatively, you can have a jackline installed on the mainsail....
+1

Full description here

You shouldn't have to drop out slides.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:11   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have double line reefing led back to the cockpit, it's not a problem. A reefed sail is essentially a loose footed sail. The height of the stack at the tack is compensated by the clew reef as long as the blocks or whatever at the boom are properly placed. With my internal reefed boom, it is self adjusting. The clew reefing line pulls the foot down and aft giving the proper tension on the clew for a good setting sail. I don't pull the clew down to the boom with the deeper reefs but stop cranking when the sail is drawing well.

Have not removed the slugs from the track on any boat I've owned whether it was at the mast or cockpit. With the clew block in the right position, the reefed sail sets properly.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, sail