Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 13:26   #1

clutch question

Is a rope clutch suitable for jib sheet? I assume they are mounted in front of the winch?
FREDDYJ408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:33   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: clutch question

Yes, that's how mine are set up as well. Only two winches on the deck. There are times when you want to put the jib sheet in a clutch, so you can use the winch for other lines. For instance, mainsail reefing, while the jib is still up and drawing.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:48   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Depends somewhat on the size of the boat. On larger (say 45+ feet) the jib sheet loads are too high for any clutches that I know of (thousands of pounds). On smaller boats it is a reasonable thing to do.

Jim
Old 07-03-2017, 14:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Just to lock off the sheet using a locking foot block really is a better option, sheet loads can be very high, and most clutches won't handle them. If you check the loads and it falls within spec then sure, but I still wouldn't. Leaving the clutch open all the time is asking for trouble wi lines getting wrapped in the handle, and keeping them closed all the time means you can't ease the sheet quickly, and the jaws will wear out prematurely and lead to slipping.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:49   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are clutches & jammers that are up to the task, yes. Though personally I'd not want to have sheets led through them on a multihull, in case the lines needed to be eased in a big hurry, such as when suddenly grossly overpowered. Since if you got even the slightest of hockles at that point, it would bind up at the clutch's entrance.

I know that some boats are rigged from the factory with their sheets in clutches, but... it's not uncommon to have a line hockle jam up a halyard where it passes through a mast base block when one goes to let it run. And it can take a moment to identify why the line's not running, & then free it. Especially if there's any real load on things.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 15:15   #6

Boat: Sceptre 36

In my opinion, down right dangerous! You may need to dump the sheet very quickly and that is not facilitated by a clutch.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 15:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
In my opinion, down right dangerous! You may need to dump the sheet very quickly and that is not facilitated by a clutch.
That's my thought as well. Also, the clutch really needs to be up and in line with the way the line leads to the winch. On many boats that would require maybe 10" off deck or more.
There are very few fittings I hate more than rope clutches on a boat for larger or high stressed lines.. Even the double acting ones.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:26   #8

Yeah, the others are raising good points. Should have asked how big your jib is (mine is about 180 ft2). That said, my main halyard runs to a clutch as well, and my mainsail is about 500 ft2. That's a pretty big load, and we've had to change out the internals a couple of times due to load and wear.

However, my experience is no issue with having to release line from a clutch quickly. I can certainly do it faster than using a cleat. Unless instead you are saying that is not good either, and you must have dedicated winches for every line? And I know that releasing a loaded clutch is not the way you want to do things. Instead, you want to put the load onto the winch, then open the clutch. BUt in an emergency, just flip the clutch handle!

Finally, the jib clutch is used infrequently. Most times it is just open (except, like I said, a reef line needs to be used on that self-tailing winch, and then the jib sheet has to be held by the clutch in the meantime.) And the sheet flows smoothly in and out of the open clutch. Never had an issue with "hackles." However, the downside to having the clutch open much of the time is that at some point, someone is going to step on the handle. Easy to fix. But it can happen.
Old 07-03-2017, 16:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That's my thought as well. Also, the clutch really needs to be up and in line with the way the line leads to the winch. On many boats that would require maybe 10" off deck or more.
There are very few fittings I hate more than rope clutches on a boat for larger or high stressed lines.. Even the double acting ones.
If you made it that high off of the deck, you would be running the line to the top of the winch drum. That would be a guaranteed override on the winch. And if the rope clutch is 10 inches off of the deck, doesn't that make the sheet feeding it pretty high off of the deck as well? Seems like you are just making tripping hazards out of the sheet. I've never seen anything like that. Maybe you have pictures?
Old 07-03-2017, 16:39   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For transferring loads, & momentarily holding a line you could always use a Spinlock ZS Open Jammer. They're good for 8t or so They're not the cheapest bit of kit though

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch