Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 09:15   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Question Club footed Staysail Rigging

Greetings fellow mad sailors. This is my first posted question because I'm stumped.
We are in the process of refurbishing our CAPE DORY 31 "Renata" https://capedory31.wordpress.com/ since April 2014 here in the Pacific Northwest (Portland Or). I'm stumped trying to figure out how to rig the club footed self tailing hanked on staysail. I've looked for photos and diagrams but haven't found a clear explanation.
Does anyone have photos and/or diagrams how to rig this or can point me to a place that has the information?
Thanks
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 19:33   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
re: Club footed Staysail Rigging

Try this forum.

The Cape Dory Board • Index page
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 20:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The dumpster is the best place for a foresail boom. The boom is always in the way, limits you to a too small headsail, almost always results in a crappy setting sail, and can be life threatening, have the scar to prove it. Go to a roller furling, overlapping loose footed headsail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 20:37   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The club footed staysail is handy for effortlessly sailing in stronger winds because you have a self-tending rig. Turn the wheel when you want to tack....no sheets to attend to. Approaching a mooring field just roll up your yankee and tack at will to pick up your mooring. Makes all the gawkers think you really know what you are doing.
In reality, to each his own. I happen to appreciate the rig as designed but others find the club a pain. I find I have many sail combination options when reducing or adding sail to suit wind conditions. I will likely add roller furling to my staysail but haven't really missed it other than in those damn Gulf Stream squalls. Going on the foredeck is not always a walk in the park.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 07:59   #5

You do not need a dangerous club to have a self TACKING staysail.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 09:01   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Club footed staysail rigging

I love the staysail on a boom in my boat. Hand for short tacking and it is always ready as my storm jib.

I could post photos of my rig but I don't know if it is anything like the Cape Dory.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 10:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I love the staysail on a boom in my boat. Hand for short tacking and it is always ready as my storm jib.

I could post photos of my rig but I don't know if it is anything like the Cape Dory.

S/V B'Shert

Thanks for your reply
Your rig is likely the same or close enough. There's a traveler just in front of the boom and a bronze riser for the inner forestay and boom attachment. dcamp49@yahoo.com if you prefer to send photos there.
Old 23-09-2015, 12:48   #8

I'm away from the boat now so it will be tomorrow morning before I can send the pics.

S/V B'Shert
Old 23-09-2015, 14:58   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Time to display my ignorance. Please describe how a self-tacking staysail would would be rigged. Would it have to be roller furled?
coolboat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 22:14   #10

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

Tayana42 I would love to see some pic's of that rigging. Setting up the bombay (Island packet) back original for my son and his young family. A self tending stay sail I think would help him stay in the cockpit. I could not find any diagrams for blocks and rig either.
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:18   #11

Re: Club footed Staysail Rigging

Here are some photos of the staysail boom rigging on my boat. The single staysail sheet runs down the starboard side of the cabin top to a block at the base of the staysail stay then back along the staysail boom to a block at the aft end of the staysail boom, then down to a block on the traveler and back up to terminate at the block on the aft end of the boom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1443107803.848478.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	109782

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1443107823.186160.jpg
Views:	1429
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	109783

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1443107840.370108.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	109784

If you have other questions let me know.

S/V B'Shert
Old 24-09-2015, 09:09   #12

Thank you Tayana42!
I appreciate the trouble yo went to to take and send the photos of your rigging.
Your perfectly flaked staysail makes my efforts shameful.
My setup has the boom mounted on a separate bronze pedestal behind the inner forestay instead of on the forestay. From another photo I found on the Cape Dory blog, at the traveler end there's supposed to be a double sheave block on the boom (that's the key piece missing). One end of the sheet is tied to an anchor point starboard near the traveler, runs up to the double block, down to the traveler single sheave block, back up to double then over to a cheek block on the port side then back to the cockpit.
Your photos helped me determine the method of attachment of the Cringle at the forestay now I need to figure out the outhaul and I'll be ready to try it out. BTW our Cape Dory came from Long Beach
Regards:
Old 24-09-2015, 09:13   #13

Club footed Staysail Rigging

I've always loved Cape Dorys. Good luck rigging it. Send pictures.

The double block at the aft end of your boom will give greater purchase than my single block. I have never felt the need for more mechanical advantage. How big is your staysail?

S/V B'Shert
Old 24-09-2015, 19:49   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

So, is there actually such a thing as a self tacking staysail without a boom? If so, pros and cons?
coolboat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:06   #15

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Here are some photos of the staysail boom rigging on my boat. The single staysail sheet runs down the starboard side of the cabin top to a block at the base of the staysail stay then back along the staysail boom to a block at the aft end of the staysail boom, then down to a block on the traveler and back up to terminate at the block on the aft end of the boom.

Attachment 109782

Attachment 109783

Attachment 109784

If you have other questions let me know.

S/V B'Shert
This is a good setup. I like staysail booms. They really help with a nice flat sail in a blow, and the self tacking aspect is very handy.

One big safety and performance upgrade to this system is a pair of preventers rigged port and stb. They only need to be 1 to 1 or 2:1 tackles, and they should be as far outboard as possible. Perhaps lead from the boom end to the fwd chainplate.

These preventers control the boom as soon as the sheet is eased. They are used to adjust the twist of the sail, and also make the foredeck safe.

They can be left slack when sailing to windward. But if motorsailing or heaving to the windward preventer line can be tightened to centre the boom or sheet it to windward. The disadvantages are more clutter.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
rigging, sail