Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 21:28   #1
rfb

Boat: Hunter 31 - Easy Street
Send a message via MSN to rfb Send a message via Skype™ to rfb
Cleaning sheets/halyards

Hey,

The sheets on the boat I recently purchased have been left to mold and rot on the deck over the years. While it is our plan to replace them in time, I'm wondering if it's possible to simply clean the sheets in a bucket with warm water, detergent and maybe a splash of bleach?

-Ryan
rfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:55   #2

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
I have had reasonable results soaking halyards & other control lines in water & napisan. I left it for a few days in a big plastic bin stiring occasionaly as walked by before giving them a good rinse with the garden hose before putting them in the washing machine with some wool wash or fabric softner. Amazing how much dirt came out.

The rope will get pretty tangled during the was cycle - you could put it into one of those mesh washing bags if you want.

Best do this when the wife is not around...

Don't expect them to be as new, but they do look better & do become a fair bit softer (ie they run lot better).

Not sure what effect the bleach in the napisan has on the strength of the rope - but our stuff is holding up well so far.

Good luck
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:35   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Rfb, I wouldn't use detergent in the water. Any residue can make them slippery in the next rainfall. (Ask me how I know). I wrap my snap shackles in bubble pack and tie it on with string. Don't use plastic wire ties which get caught under the agitator.
The usual amount of fabric softener for a medium wash, with 2 or 3 hand regulated agitation periods of about 10 minutes produces some nice soft halyards and sheets.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit28 View Post
... Not sure what effect the bleach in the napisan has on the strength of the rope - but our stuff is holding up well so far.
Good luck
I think that Napasian may be a sodium perchlorate product (like OxyClean), which produces hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in water. Hydrogen peroxide is NOT compatible with Nylon.
Most rope manufacturers recommend a MILD soap and perhaps fabric softener, followed by a good rinse.

DIY Rope Washer:

HOWTO: Create a Climbing Rope Washer

CMI Rope Washer
Rope Washer -- CMI Corporation

Bokat Rope Washer
PMI Rope : Equipment and gear for edge abrasion and cut protection, end terminations, marking, cutting and measuring and cleaning your rope.
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:44   #5
rfb

Boat: Hunter 31 - Easy Street
Send a message via MSN to rfb Send a message via Skype™ to rfb
Excellent, thanks all -

so it isn't a crime to call my halyards and sheets 'rope'
rfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:36   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
So are you washing your halyards and sheets or are you washing your rope?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12   #7

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
I don't really get hung about terminolgy these days - just so long as people know what I'm talking about & I know what they are on about. Like a lot of things in life, etiquette & tradition seems to have gone by the wayside. Some of this is good & some sorely missed (like men only in the seamans mess at the yacht club - joke!!).

My old man would turn in his grave.

Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:54   #8

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
hurricane luis

After Hurricane Luis Cat.4 passed over St Maarten in 1995, many yachts were sunk and masts etc submerged in the Simpson Bay Lagoon. One enterprising yachtie got permission to salvage sheets and halyards etc from the muddy depths.He hand rinsed them in the lagoon and proceeded to coil them as a yachtie should ie not over the elbow as in the movies, and took them to the nearest pay-laundry.Being a nice legal abidding yachties he pre-weighed them so not to over -load the machines.He then placed them evenly in the machine drums so washing and spinning was just like aload of laundry. He used normal machine soap and a stay-soft.Muddy ,smelly rope came out like new.He was known as the rope-man and did ok for his enterprise and efforts.
Clyde
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sheets