Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2010, 16:02   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 50 DS
Classic Main vs Standard Roller Furler

I am putting together an order for a Jeanneau 50 DS. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the classic rig (shoal draft, not standard or deep draft Performance model). The sail area appears to be increased by approximately 120 square feet, mostly in the roach I suspect which should provide siginifantly better performance. I sail primarily in New England and Chesapeake waters. Thanks.
DeWittcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 18:35   #2

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
This is the scoop on in mast roller furling sails-even with vertical battons and other attemps to increase performance they tend to be piggy sails with a shape better suited to furling then sailing-that being said there are some very good reasons to go with such a rig-ease of use and ease of use-this can also be a safety factor-it is easy to reef and douse sail-they are perfect for the lazzy and disabled sailor- -it is easy to motor sail with part or all sail out- no sail cover needed. If you are truely performance oriented and do some light air sailing you will not like the roller sail. I am an old man and when I get my last boat(hopefully many years from now) it will be a motor sailor with all roller furling sails-But for now since I am only in my 70s and make sails as a hobby I want a sail with good adjustable shape.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 19:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Ditto, eyschulman (I want to be like you in another 20 years ) - it all depends on whether you'll be racing or otherwise... I rarely race Layla and typically singlehand - I am very happy with the furling main with vertical battens - however, if I were racing, it would be very frustrating indeed.

I believe, it makes life much easier in not having to hoist the main, much easier reefing (& variable reef points!) - the vertical battens have made a significant difference in (cruising) performance vs my older mainsail.

I do -on occasion- race the longer distance off shore races - larger headsail, spinnaker typically makes up for the furling main handicap. However, if I were to try the around the buoys stuff, I'd be dead meat.

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:41   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I'm on my second Jeanneau with in-mast furling. Going upwind in 15+ knots in the Caribbean I almost always have a partial reef in my main so that the boat will balance while using a 140% genoa. At times like that, I ask myself what benefit I would really get by having a larger main and one with better shape? I am not looking to race or get the last tenth of a knot of speed out of my boat and find the furling main perfectly sufficient for my purposes.
I was at the big German boating trade fair, "BOOT 2010" last week and spoke with Elvström sails, who stated that with a Selden furling rig they could offer me their new high-tech sails with vertical battens that even allow a lowly furler like myself to show some mainsail shape (but the cost for doing so outrageous).
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05   #5

Zanshin you are right about the heavy air situation when a flat easily reefed sail is a better choice for a cruiser. It is in light and medium air that a roller rig would suffer most. For trade wind sailing and for motor sailors or the many sailboats used often as motor sailors the roller rig is great. There is of course one fly in the ointment when they break or jam bad news. A standard rig with a gruve or good track has ultimate reliability edge.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:24   #6

Boat: Island Packet 349
My first two boats had conventional main sails, so I was a bit reluctant when ordering in-mast furling main for my current boat. Very glad that I did, for I often single hand it, which is very easy with the furling main. If I always had two crew members available, it may not be that important.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411
My boat has a furling main and I only can say that is the best choice for short hand sailing and the worst if you want performance sailing.

Cheers
Piloto Corsario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 17:40   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 50 DS
Followup to the classic mast inquiry. I was able to order a shaol draft 50 DS with a classic mast. Now the question will be: Dutchman, Doyle Stackpack, harken lazyjacks or Mack Pack. Any experience or suggestions? Thanks
DeWittcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 19:12   #9

high boom

On a 50 ft boat the boom will be high and hard to reach so think about a system that will stack or contain your sail and provide a cover that is easy to use. I had a Uk lazycover a combo lazy jack and cover-closeing the zipper took some doing otherwise it worked well. the sail when dropped was well contained and zipper could be done at dock or on hook.The unit could be rolled up against boom with lines pulled forward out of way and no chafe. I could also raise sail by pushing main into slightly slackened half of cover and rolling up other side and setting sail on that lee side so sail goes up without jack lines in way(I preset all this up on hook or dock)
Old 27-02-2010, 09:00   #10

Boat: Catalina 320 - Reflection
IMO the Dutchman is horrible!
tsampsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 13:20   #11

Congrats on your new boat.

We like our UK Lazy Cradle with spectra lazy jacks. The main is ~ 1000 sq ft and about 200#'s, not sure what the batt carrs add maybe another ~80#'s or so. Make sure you get a good ball and track system so when you lower the main it comes down without catching. If it catches the full length battens will hinge and then the main will be a mess. You want the main to fall smoothly into the trough.

We looked at the diverter track with Harken slides to lower the stack height but then you give up the recirculating balls and the possibility of the batten hinging is too high. Several large yachts and shipbuilders have now gone away from that system. Dealing with a 22 foot hinged batten is not good.

So, Harken batt cars, spectra lazy cradles, cloth lazy cradle from the sailmaker of your choice and live with a tll stack height but a bullet proof system.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 14:07   #12

I agree withg Joli and would add look into strong track and slide system it worked well for me and has least hight on mast for stacked slides-a very simple and effective solution.
Old 27-02-2010, 14:25   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Strong track, lazy jacks n Schaefer cars

Yes, eyeshulman, I agree. When I bought a new main I had it made with full battens, Shaeffer cars and I put in lazy jacks myself. I'm 66 and have rediscovered great sailing. The sail raises and lowers easily and will carry a large dynamic range in wind before having to furl.

With a well made sail and a deep second reef I am not going to carry a storm main (which I don't want to have to deal with). This setup makes for fun sailing and will point inside the Windex without flogging the main.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:56   #14
cruiser

Boat: Bermuda 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWittcap View Post
Followup to the classic mast inquiry. I was able to order a shaol draft 50 DS with a classic mast. Now the question will be: Dutchman, Doyle Stackpack, harken lazyjacks or Mack Pack. Any experience or suggestions? Thanks
I had inmast furling on my boat and hated it. Increased windage and poor performance. Replaced the rig and went with Dutchman reefing system combined with harken batt cars. Single line Selden reefing boom controlled from cockpit. Works great. Main is very easy to handle and I single hand a lot. Only draw back is that raising the sail takes more effort than pulling it out of the mast.
camtep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09   #15

Re: Classic Main vs Standard Roller Furler

"I had inmast furling on my boat and hated it. Increased windage and poor performance. Replaced the rig and went with Dutchman reefing system combined with harken batt cars. Single line Selden reefing boom controlled from cockpit. Works great. Main is very easy to handle and I single hand a lot. Only draw back is that raising the sail takes more effort than pulling it out of the mast."

Just curious how much did that run you? Most boats today come with roller furling, if I wanted to change it out what would it cost.
darkaegisagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roller furler