Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2006, 13:04   #1

Boat: 1987 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Encore
Choosing a Headsail furling system

Im fairly new to sailing and I reciently purchased a Sabre 28. One thing I would like to do is upgrade to a Headsail furling system. What is the price range I should expect when searching for one for a boat this size? Also, What are some good brands/systems that I should be looking at (With a Limited budget)? Any advice would be very helpfull....Thanks.

Also, Will I need to get new sails? or can I have mine altered? for how much?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 13:29   #2

I have had a Profurl for years and it performs flawlessly. One pleased customer.

You get your head sail altered.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 13:31   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
All the major brands work well. I'm partial to Harken mainly because I'm familiar with its idiosyncrasies having had them for 22 years. Also I prefer the open ball race to sealed bearings such as those in Profurls. When you're figuring out your costs don't forget that you'll have to alter your headsails. Here's a site where you can compare them all.
http://www.mauriprosailing.com/furling-unit.htm
Old 26-10-2006, 14:31   #4
cruiser

Roller furling

I built my own in a few hours . It took $80 in materials . I've used the same system for 24 years and 6 Pacific crossings with no problems. It is similar to the "Simplicite " rig, the only commercially available rig that is similar, that I'm aware of .In use ,it has one moving part. My book tells you how to build one.
Brent swain
brentswain38@yahoo.ca
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 14:37   #5
cruiser

I've had the ProFurl and Harken systems. Both worked well, but I like the Harken system I have now. It's probably only because it's newer, but the motion is more smooth. Just be sure to route your furling line properly... that's the main thing that seems to go wrong on furling systems.

The bonehead yard that put mine in (before I bought the boat) left too much line on the spindle so that it would always jam up.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 02:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I installed a Bamar system and love it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 05:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I installed the CDI Flexible Furler on my 25 footer. The crew seems to really like it.

I bought a new headsail at the same time as it wasn't worth the cost of conversion plus suncover on the old one.

I ordered them both (and a new main at the same time) from Cruising Direct and have been happy with the whole setup.

The CDI sits around and above the turnbuckle so there is no need to alter the forestay.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 10:29   #8

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
I helped a person install a Simplicite on his 21 foot boat, and am now going to replace my worn out Profurl with one, on my Tobago 35 cat. It is just too simple to ignore. The Profurl, with all the parts, has caused me too much grief. Allen screws have seized, have cracked, and have twisted. Bearings have ground to nothing, and are too expensive and complicated anyway. To be fair, the furler was 6 years old when I inherited it.

Here is the Simplicite website: http://www.alignement.com/simplicite/
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 11:28   #9

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
ProFurl is widely used by many ocean sailors -- but I understand it uses sealed, greased, steel bearings. No maintenance, but the grease does create some resistance to free turning, and should the bearing seals fail, well.... Harken and Schaefer use open-race torlon bearings, requiring occaisional flushing with freshwater. I liked the Harken because the independent tack and head swivels supposedly allow the belly of the sail to be rolled up first, presumably making for improved sail shape for a partially reefed sail. However, my rigger recommended the Schaefer over the Harken because it has fewer moving parts, so that's what I have and I'm quite happy with it.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 13:42   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sonosailor,
Six years is not a long time for a furler. I have both Harken and Profurl. The Harken is 18 years old and works like new. The Profurl is new (two years), came with the boat. I prefer the Harken mainly because I don't like the sealed bearings on the Profurl. I've heard of too may failing. The Profurl swivel I feel is superior to the Harken which is prone to halyard wrap if you don't hoist the sail to within a couple of inches of the top. If I was buying it'd be Harken or Schaefer.
Old 27-10-2006, 21:40   #11
Kai Nui

My preference is Reefurl. Here is a photo:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...&searchid=6426
No simpler, or less expensive system out there. Australian made. Ours has never fouled, and does not need a winch to bring it in, even without heading up.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:38   #12

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
With reference to the reefurl: I ran into the guy who manufactures this system at the weekly open-air market in Airlie Beach... I spent a good half hour talking with/listening to him. I have to say that I was impressed with the simplicity of the system design and the sound engineering that it demonstrated. I would consider fitting one on my boat when I get to the stage of putting in headsail furling. If I have one criticism, it is that you can only adjust the luff tension from the foot of the forestay...but that is a fairly minor issue really.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 15:52   #13
cruiser

Furlers

I once put a grease nipple on the bottom of my homemade version of the simplicity furler. When rain got in the top and froze it to the forestay, I had to wait for a thaw before it would turn. After I washed the grease out there was no more problem.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 20:28   #14
Kai Nui

Weyalan, Rogin and Linda are a blast. If you run into them again, tell them hello from Moss Landing for me
I have used a number of other furling systems, and am absolutely sold on theirs. I will admit, if you are looking for style and grace, or for something to impress your yachty friends, forget it, but the system is bullet proof. It took less than an hour to install on my 40 footer by myself. I agree about the luff adjustment, but it has not been an issure for us. Of course we are not very performance oriented. (sail go up, point sail, boat go. Mongo happy eat now)
And brent, this system uses a plastic type material for a bearing and does not require any grease. The bearing is warranteed for 20 years if I remember correctly, and that includes commercial service.
And a quick disclaimer, I used to be a distributer, but mainly sold them to myself. I am no longer a distributer, so this is not a commercial. I am just sold on the product.
Old 07-11-2006, 20:38   #15

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Kai nui, I will certainly pass on your regards if I see them again.... unfortunately it might be a year or two before I'm up in that neck of the woods again (Airlie Beach is several thousand kilometres north of here!).

Have graduated to cruising from racing, I find it hard to shake of the racing mentality when I am cruising. I still find myself tweaking the sails all the time - trimming the sheet, adjusting the genoa car positions, and even tweeking the luff & leech tension... it's a silly thing to do really, but it is almost second nature to me.

At least I have go out of the habit of trying to carry as much sail when cruising 2-up as I would when racing with a crew of 8 or 9 :lol:
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling