Old 24-01-2015, 19:54   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Cheek blocks on an OI 41

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1422153362.525977.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	96010

Added an inner stay a couple of weeks ago. Figured it was high time to replace the worn out double turning blocks for jib sheets.

After spending a couple of days trying to find exact replacements, I settled on Schaefer # 7 blocks for a temporary fix.

The aft bolt spacing was the same as the original and I drilled 2 new holes for the forward end.
The lower shiv is rated at 2250 and the upper 500.

I don't know the rating of the orig but it was mounted w/ 6 5/16" bolts and the new 4 1/4". The new has bearings while the old had bronze bushings.

I would love to go back to a new set of the old style.

Anybody got a lead for me?

Old 24-01-2015, 19:58   #2

Re: Cheek blocks on an OI 41

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1422154575.228867.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	96011

The center post is broken off almost flush w/ the base and its mate is soaking in oil with the lower shiv stuck tight.

Old 24-01-2015, 20:03   #3

Took all day to install 8 bolts due to the inner liner being in the way and 1 bolt breaking in the worse possible place.

A lot of working w/ a flashlight and mirror and taping nuts into an open end wrench.
Old 27-01-2015, 11:23   #4

Boat: corbin39

The old blocks are schaefer I have them on my boat if i remember right they are rated at 5000 lower and 2500 upper so the new ones are on the light side . Try contacting schaefer or rigging only [good guys] to see if any parts are available
Old 27-01-2015, 11:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Baysailer View Post
The old blocks are schaefer I have them on my boat if i remember right they are rated at 5000 lower and 2500 upper so the new ones are on the light side . Try contacting schaefer or rigging only [good guys] to see if any parts are available

I thought they were Schaefer but did not find them on their site.

Going back with the temp set brought to mind that old gal in the "Where's the beef?" commercial.

Thanks for the info.

Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 27-01-2015, 12:17   #6

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I recently replaced my two Schaefer cheek blocks as well. Everything was still fine with the exception of the nylon/plastic sheaves which were fracturing at the edges & fraying my main sheet. The pins are riveted in place so I contacted Schaefer and they said I'd have to send them in to have the sheaves replaced. With shipping fees, etc., it turned out to be a better deal to buy new ones from Defender. I found almost exact duplicates.
Old 27-01-2015, 12:45   #7

I think they discontinued them about 10 year ago maybe more
Old 27-01-2015, 13:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I recently replaced my two Schaefer cheek blocks as well. Everything was still fine with the exception of the nylon/plastic sheaves which were fracturing at the edges & fraying my main sheet. The pins are riveted in place so I contacted Schaefer and they said I'd have to send them in to have the sheaves replaced. With shipping fees, etc., it turned out to be a better deal to buy new ones from Defender. I found almost exact duplicates.

Might I ask the model of the duplicates?

Old 27-01-2015, 13:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you are in to such activities, it isn't so hard to buy replacement sheaves, drill out the rivets, replace sheaves and use bolts to replace the rivets. May have to countersink the heads of the screws on the bottom, or provide some relief in the surface on which they are mounted. Not such a big deal, and you can thereafter disassemble for cleaning, lubing and eventually again replacing the sheaves.

Jim
Old 27-01-2015, 14:02   #10

these blocks have no rivets they have 2 bolts with spacers one goes through the sheave the other was for a jam cleat. They are foot or turning blocks not really cheek blocks.the sheaves are bronze no plastic
Old 27-01-2015, 17:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you are in to such activities, it isn't so hard to buy replacement sheaves, drill out the rivets, replace sheaves and use bolts to replace the rivets. May have to countersink the heads of the screws on the bottom, or provide some relief in the surface on which they are mounted. Not such a big deal, and you can thereafter disassemble for cleaning, lubing and eventually again replacing the sheaves.

Jim

I planned to rebuild it but the bottom spacers are welded and, as shown in the picture, one was sheared in half.

The shock load that broke it must have been heavy.

Had I a machine shop with a tig it would not be a big project. Getting custom made parts made would be costly.

Old 27-01-2015, 18:11   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Technically speaking those are known as Turning Blocks, or Foot Blocks, albeit such isn't critical. That said, Ronstan makes a slew of sheaves. Both in terms of sizes & materials MARINE PRODUCT OVERVIEW | Ronstan Sailboat Hardware US as does Harken, & a stack of others. Plus, if you run a search for sheaves on here, you'll get more options than your brain can process. Both in terms of OTS recommendations, & custom made ones. To make some varities of the latter, all it takes is a lathe & a piece of material that's the correct size.

Also, from a price perspective, it's likely cheaper to pick up a quality used set, on say eBay, or at a used gear chandlery, than to fully rebuild old ones. Though regardless, the above ideas should be of help.

PS: If you run into any questions as to the load rating on blocks of that design type, the easiest way to figure it is via calculating the shaft/bolt strength.
Also, UV degradation was likely a Big factor in the block failing also. There are a lot of plastics which don't like the Sun much, & there are (some) unscrupulous manufacturers take advantage of this. You may have heard the term planned obsolescence.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 19:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Might I ask the model of the duplicates?
I'm away from my boat right now but thought I had a receipt on my computer. Apparently not -- sorry I couldn't be more help.

FWIW, these are a pair of blocks that lay flush on the deck just forward of the dodger. They serve to route my 9/16" diam. outhaul from the front of the boom over to a cockpit winch. Not sure "cheek block" is the correct term for this arrangement, but I recall that's how Schaefer & Defender labeled them.
Old 27-01-2015, 19:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I appreciate the tip, and did stow the old ones for a backup. I must say, however, that my record trying to drill through SS isn't too swift. Tried the cobalt bits, cutting oil, keeping the drill moving to overcome galling, etc., but the results thus far have been fairly disastrous!
Old 27-01-2015, 20:14   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I appreciate the tip, and did stow the old ones for a backup. I must say, however, that my record trying to drill through SS isn't too swift. Tried the cobalt bits, cutting oil, keeping the drill moving to overcome galling, etc., but the results thus far have been fairly disastrous!
Too right! Drilling s/s, especially old work hardened s/s can be difficult, especially without a drill press. For jobs like disassembling those blocks, use of a small die grinder (or even Dremel) with a grinding cutter will make short work of the rivet heads.

Cheers,

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: