Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2018, 02:10   #1

Boat: Halcyon 27
Chainplates or Deck fitting

I have a Halcyon 27, with the shrouds joining the deck via U-bolts.
The backstay separates into two and these are both attached directly to the deck in the same way.

I am considering an Atlantic crossing, and am thinking about switching the attachments to outside hull chainplates. This is going to be expensive and time consuming. I do not know if it is necessary

So my question to all is this:

Does anyone have experience with the Halcyon 27 think that either the hull fittings are strong enough, or that switching the shroud and/or backstay attachments to chainplates is a better idea?

All input gratefully received!
Curryfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 03:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Chainplates or Deck fitting

What is more important than chainplates-vs-Ubolts, is: what is the condition of the existing setup? While it wouldn't hurt anything to have external chainplates, if the place the U-bolts go is well-engineered, I'd see no reason to change that. If they're stainless steel more than ten years old, I'd definitely replace them, and make sure they're well bedded and have a decent backing plate.
But as long as they're properly cared for and of the right size, the U-bolts will be just fine for any strain that boat will put on them.
Old 26-08-2018, 04:07   #3

Boat: Halcyon 27

Thanks, Ben.
What about the deck fitting to the hull? It looks solid, but there are cracks in the top decking running from the stanchion forward. Wondering if the decking could be torn up under load.
Curryfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 08:58   #4

I did 8 or 9 thousand miles in the Pacific with a Contessa 26 that had U-bolt type chain plates with just glassed in wood backing plates under the deck. I almost didnt buy the boat because I thought it was possibly an unsafe way to rig. I didnt have any problems at all. I do agree that if they are very old to pull them and examine them (and whatever backing plates there are) but I would not bother to change the style. Is there a facebook group for that boat or a surveyor that you could ask about the history of the fleet? I doubt there is a history of rig failure. Best of Luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 10:17   #5

Boat: 1997 Hunter 280

Maybe someone can in - I believe that many if not all Ericsson's used u bolt fittings rather than chainplates, and they are proven bluewater boats.
salfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 10:47   #6

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
What is more important than chainplates-vs-Ubolts, is: what is the condition of the existing setup? While it wouldn't hurt anything to have external chainplates, if the place the U-bolts go is well-engineered, I'd see no reason to change that. If they're stainless steel more than ten years old, I'd definitely replace them, and make sure they're well bedded and have a decent backing plate.
But as long as they're properly cared for and of the right size, the U-bolts will be just fine for any strain that boat will put on them.
I would tend to agree here. If you have questions as to rebedding deck hardware, I would take a look at the link below.

Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

One thing I found when I was repotting the through deck holes with expoxy, it will will fill any voids that may be near or around the holes. The ubolts should be backed with SS backing plates or Aluminum angle plates. I have 8"x3.5" aluminum angle stock backing the shrouds.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 23:21   #7

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Albin Vega's use U bolts. Many Vega's have circumnavigated without issues.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck