Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 09:39   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Carbon mast

I’m thinking of replacing my 30 year old carbon mast on my 44 foot sloop with a carbon mast. Has anyone done this and if so was it worth the high price tag?
GinoDelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Carbon mast

I think you mean aluminum for carbon?
Unless a high performance race boat with mega buck sails etc, I can’t see any reason to. Unless the boat is way too tender now?
However I have never in my life raced a sailboat, so what would I know anyway.
It’s my understanding though that there are special precautions that must be taken with carbon spars as far as contact with any other metals, I believe the carbon will often cause severe corrosion of the metals
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 13:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Carbon mast

There's a Bermda 40 that had GMT Composites build a carbon mast. Believe the mast was 10' or more, possibly way more, taller than the aluminum stick it replaced. Owner raved about how it increased light air performance.

I'm going to have to replace the mast on my Sabre 28 sometime and did initial research into the cost and benefit. The problem is cost. The mast for my boat was north of $20,000 from the only supplier I checked with. Weight was way less than aluminum though I didn't get definitive figures as I gave up as soon as the cost hit my reality button. It would have been great benefit to go with a 4' taller stick in light air SoCal. Will probably go with synthetic rigging and a couple foot taller aluminum stick.

As far as cost, New Zealand may make cheaper Carbon Masts. Talked with an owner of a competitive racing class boat owner in SF about Carbon. Their boats were regularly losing their aluminum sticks in the gusty bay conditions. They were able to to get a much better price for carbon from NZ. The added stiffness of carbon solved the mast collapse issue and saved weight. This was a while ago that I talked with the guy and can't remember the boat though think it was under 30'.

You do have to be careful insulating hardware from the mast but sure that can be easily handled. Carbon isn't just for the racers, there's a Westsail 32 out there with a carbon stick.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast