Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 09:07   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Can someone recomend good all in one splice kit?

Iv'e been trying to sort through the tons and tons of splicing kits online but havn't come across an 'all-in-one' kit yet if they exist.

Basically i'd like to be able to splice eyes in line ranging from 1/4 to 5/8 dia to start with, multiple types of rope but would like to eventually be able to try other types of splices.

Iv'e been to Toss' website, who seems to be the premier source but am a bit confused as it seems he sells individual tools. Not sure yet what the heck I need. Guess I could buy the book, read it and then order but be nice to be able to get a complete to semi complete kit so I could dive right in and start splicing eyes.

Any good comprehensive kits available iv'e missed?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:20   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Can someone recomend good all in one splice kit?

Here is one:

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Rope-S.../dp/B002MC2UZW
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 16:56   #3

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

For three-strand, Brion Toss's Point Hudson Phid is the hot setup. Get the right size(s) for your rope. To go with it, you need masking tape, whipping twine and needle, knife and maybe pliers. Directions for eye splicing that come with the Phid are pretty good even without a book. Directions for a shackle splice or crown splice in his books (Chapman's book of Knots, for instance) make splicing three-strand rope to chain easy once you can do the eye splice.

I started making decent three-strand splices after meeting Brion at his booth at the Seattle boat show. With just a few hints he greatly improved my technique.

Some hints: flatten out each of the three strands after you tie on a constrictor and unlay them - don't keep them twisted and round. Cut their ends into a bit of a taper, and then tape around each end with masking tape making somewhat of a point. After each round of three over and under tucks, roll the splice between your hands to firm it up and even it out, then pull each of the three strands tight, and maybe roll again, before the next round of three tucks. You shouldn't need more than 5-7 rounds of tucks, if they're done right.

Your first few splices probably won't look great, but work through a few more and you'll get there.
NewMoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 14:34   #4
er9
cruiser

Thanks for all that new moon. when I can fully understand what you just said i'm sure it will come in very handy :P
Old 28-02-2018, 14:42   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

The Brion Toss Hudson fid and his Splicing Wand will cover just about any splicing job. You can make your own splicing wand out of wire but the Toss wand is very slick to use. I think it is worth the $.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 19:19   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Just a couple of D-splicers (fancy pieces of wire) and a short length of braided cover is all you need. I recommend Samson splicing instructions but watching Youtube videos as well.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57   #7
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The Brion Toss Hudson fid and his Splicing Wand will cover just about any splicing job. You can make your own splicing wand out of wire but the Toss wand is very slick to use. I think it is worth the $.
thanks for the recommendation. I think I'm going to go with this option. I wanted a couple of his dvd's anyways. it looks like the medium wand and small phid will cover my immediate needs.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:44   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Did you watch the Youtube videos? It really is not worth the money and it's much more difficult to use than people think. You need a bench mounted vice to accomplish much at all.

I have been splicing for more than 40 years and the D-splicers (the simple ones with handle, F-series) are as good as anything. If you can't do it with a D-splicer, then use their soft-fid which is just a piece of outer braid. Check out the videos and see how much easier they do the splice.

https://d-splicer.com
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:39   #9
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Did you watch the Youtube videos? It really is not worth the money and it's much more difficult to use than people think. You need a bench mounted vice to accomplish much at all.

I have been splicing for more than 40 years and the D-splicers (the simple ones with handle, F-series) are as good as anything. If you can't do it with a D-splicer, then use their soft-fid which is just a piece of outer braid. Check out the videos and see how much easier they do the splice.

https://d-splicer.com
thanks jedi. no not yet. am going to right now and before i order anything.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can someone recomend good all in one splice kit?

Thumbs and wrists work just fine for us old 'Last Century' riggers on rope..
This new-fangled multibraid rope with a cover.. you'll need a fid as well.
Wire, a vice, mallet and a couple of steel fids.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men