Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 16:04   #1

camberspar jib adjustment questions.....

Hi folks,

I have a Freedom 28 with camberspar jib. I don't think the camberspar was ever installed correctly. As it is now the three main parts slide together and bottom out. The end fitting is not pinned to the spar. And if we stretch the sail to fit on the horns, the sail is very flat. From what I gather, it is supposed to be adjustable. It appears that if you let the sail slack on the spar, the spar falls in the sail pocket and gives the sail more draft, the tighter the sail is pulled aft, the less the spar drops in the pocket, and the less draft it has. There are 3 main parts shown in the picture, the spar, the horns, and the end fitting. My thought is to cut the spar tube about 2" shorter. This would allow me to pin the end fitting in the spar and allow the horns to slide on the end fitting to each of the three adjustment holes. Am I on the right track? Is the description clear enough? Any and all help is appreciated..

Thanks
Rich
Attached Images

RichF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 16:36   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: camberspar jib adjustment questions.....

Hi Rich, welcome to CF! I have an F38 and I've never been able to adjust the camberspar. In fact, I have some Dyneema on the horn end to keep the sail from coming loose, which it has done. So I'm not going to be much help. If you haven't already, you should also post your question on the Freedom Yachts forum. It seems like a small but collectively wise bunch. There's also info and pictures on set ups. Someone will know the answrr. Good luck
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 20:11   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

I think you will find few that adjust the camber spar, I never did, once you have stretched the sail on to the horns adjustment imo is very difficult. Main sail trim is everything on a freedom.
As already mentioned go to the freedom yacht forum, everything you could ever want to know about your freedom you can find there. Secondly it is extremely friendly, over 7 years I never saw conflict, this forum should model its self on the Freedom forum.

Cheers Dale.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 20:24   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You might check:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ces-35794.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-135224.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ak-109796.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...jib-11962.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 07:49   #5

Well, thanks somebody... When I looked last night someone had a url directing to a page on camberspar assembly, but it seems to have disappeared. It showed that I am on the right track, and mine was never installed correctly. I hope that they will repost it, so I can download it for future reference.... Time for me to measure twice, cut once.........
BTW, where is this Freedom owners forum? The one on this site seems to only have 3 members.........

Thanks,
Rich
RichF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 18:09   #6

Boat: Welsford "Saturday Night Special" 15' daysailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF28 View Post
BTW, where is this Freedom owners forum? The one on this site seems to only have 3 members.........
Thanks,
Rich
Here is the Freedom forum, a separate site, good info.
FreedomYachts.org • Index page
JJMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, men