Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 09:35   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
BSI vs NavTec rod rigging and hardware

i searched the forum for a answer to this query i have and didn't find anything so here it goes.
I have a re-rigging project on my baltic 37 and am looking at redoing all the standing rigging as it appears to be original rigging from 1981.
uses the k100 navtangs and a i think proprietary flange at the lower spreader for the upper shroud and lower/intermediate shrouds attach with eyes and pins.

i had contacted navtec and the replacement for the k100's is the k150's and sourcing local vendors for pricing.
my question is this.
has anybody went to BSI over NavTec and what was their experience with them?
spoke to Ulf at their rhode island office and am currently going thru a dealer to get a package from them.
on just the aesthetics, the BSI hardware looks fantastic.
thanks added a few pictures for clarification
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lower shroud flange.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	119587   Click image for larger version

Name:	lower shroud flange pin.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	119588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	K100 navtang.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	119589  
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:27   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: BSI vs NavTec rod rigging and hardware

Given the pictures, I'm curious if there's anything built into the system to allow for small angular variations which occur at spreader tips. Such as are integrated into the tips cups, & rod tip hardware in Navtec's systems.
As it'd surely be nice to be able to run a less expensive, discontinuous rigging system.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 15:14   #3

i suppose a company could redo spars or just the ends to accept tip cups or some other variation other than the flange you see.
but i do want to keep a budget and the boat originally was raced early in its life briefly and then used as a floating cocktail lounge in marina del rey.
basically my thinking is that this configuration lasted 30+years and i suspect could last a few more as is. i did not do a dye ck or xray but visually could not find any cracks.
the tangs are suspect just as design issue and is my primary concern as to a total refit but i'm leaning to replacing same with same, just maybe going BSI instead of original navtec.
thanks for the input
john
Old 25-02-2016, 15:15   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Any reason you want to stick with rod rigging?
Old 25-02-2016, 16:26   #5

yeah i like it.
Old 25-02-2016, 19:31   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I guess a better way to put what I wanted to say is. Without the ability to articulate a small bit, I'm wondering how these have lasted so long?
As, given their simplicity, & thus, far lower cost (than Navtec). It surely would be nice to adapt this design to some other boats. Both ones having rod, & ones having wire. Or even switching some discontinuous rod rigs, over to using wire, via this spreader & hardware setup.

Not that I won't look myself, but do you have good contact information for BSI, or someone who's well versed in/carries their stuff?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:39   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Hi Silver_Surfer,
Did you ever get any answers to your original question here, or reach a decision on BSI vs Navtec for your rerig?

I'm going through the exact same decision process now, and haven't been able to find many opinions on BSI. A rigger who is a dealer for them recommended BSI as being faster to work with (more parts in stock and faster turnaround). I would imagine cheaper too, since Navtec's prices often seem astronomical.

The BSI rod is the same nitrionic 50 but the rigger I talked to said it's a little nicer because they send it through an extra polishing process. And he said the BSI stemballs can be used in my Navtec K150 tangs.

I'm going to call both manufacturers but hoping to get some unbiased opinions from other sailors who used BSI or Navtec rod recently.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:43   #8

I have heard the same in regards to stock on hand. Longer waits for items at Navtec the one item was replacing my original NavTangs with the k150. the diameter of the bsi tangs are just a few mm larger. I agree the bsi hardware and rod is better aesthetically have not started project may do this spring

Sent from my SM-T817V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-12-2016, 17:45   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I don't know if you started your project but a friend in the Bay area is replacing all his rod in SF right now with BSI. BSI is the common rod company for Europe. Call Ray at Rigworks in San Diego for information on both (he uses both companies).
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:47   #10

small world indeed; yes RigWorks. i dealt with robin basham at RigWorks with a reckmann roller furler unit that is part of the project. if you could, can you fwd contactinfo on your friend that is doing the rerigging project or pass along mine?
thanks,
john

37baltic@gmail.com
Old 03-12-2016, 09:15   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Silver Surfer, I sent you a PM.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:35   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was out sailing yesterday with some professional boat captains and a rigger, and they all agreed than Navtec has turned its back on boats under 100 ft. Customer service and lead times are terrible.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 13:26   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I was out sailing yesterday with some professional boat captains and a rigger, and they all agreed than Navtec has turned its back on boats under 100 ft. Customer service and lead times are terrible.
Navtec's commitment to its customers was demonstrated when they closed down Norseman, leaving the hundreds/thousands of folks who bought them holding useless fittings when wishing to re-use t hem.

Not a nice company IMO!

Jim

Tags
hardware, rigging