Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2010, 03:50   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
Broken Mast Step

Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	19570

This is the broken mast step for my 1988 Henley 20 (Halman Mfg.). Does anyone know who makes a mast step like this, or do I need to get a stock one for my mast from Dwyer and attach it to their hinged base?

Also, I've read alittle about aluminum brazing, and it seems that may be another option. Has anyone had an aluminum casting brazed, and did you feel the part was structurally sound enough afterward?

Thanks.
Bill
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 04:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
DON'T USE ALUMINUM SOLDER!

If you can't find a local welder, mail it off, I'll fix it for you. PM me and I'll give you the address
Old 25-09-2010, 04:31   #3

Quote:
DON'T USE ALUMINUM SOLDER!
It never entered my mind. I talking about having a pro do it. Maybe "brazing" isn't the right term.

So, you feel that having it welded would be sufficient? If so, I'll check on a local shop to do it. Thanks for the offer, but I can probably get it done here by Monday or Tuesday.
Old 25-09-2010, 06:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Yes, welded properly it will be strong as new... No weld will make up for poor engineering, so if it was poorly designed for the stresses involved, it may fail again, typically alongside the weld, as the weld should be stronger than the base metal because of built up thickness.
Old 25-09-2010, 13:47   #5

Broken mast step

Why not get it welded and then sleeve it to provide more strength.
Old 25-09-2010, 14:03   #6

I'm not greatly experienced in sailing gear, but I looked at a lot of boats, and I've never seen a mast step like this. I would like to ditch it for a Dwyer hinged mast step or tablernacle, but I'm concered about the bolt hole that's already there. If I would have to drill a new hole for a tabernacle pin it might be too close to the existing hole, inviting failure.

I think the hinged step would be best, as I'll be trailering and raising the mast by myself every time I sail. I'm just concerned that (from what I can tell by the online photos) it won't be heavy-duty enough for a 28' mast.

What to do, what to do...
Old 25-09-2010, 17:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
I would like to ditch it for a Dwyer hinged mast step or tablernacle, but I'm concered about the bolt hole that's already there. If I would have to drill a new hole for a tabernacle pin it might be too close to the existing hole, inviting failure.
When I've had mast bases repaired, and I've wrecked them badly while racing, the spar maker makes a tight fitting interior sleeve out of aluminium sheet or a spare piece of identical mast slit and reduced. It's pop-riveted in place (pro pop rivets). This could be done on the exterior as well. the sleeve was about a foot long. Then any hole can be redrilled anywhere. I've had the entire lower part replaced with new as well using a similar technique.

Aluminum castings are nothing but trouble in rigging. And difficult to repair.

Also the hole can be enlarged and a horizontal tube fitted. This spreads the loads better.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast