Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 06:29   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
BRICK WALL - Obtaining Sparcraft Extrusions

Man OH MAN!

What is up with Sparcraft? I've been casually then fanatically trying to obtain parts for a rig that came down. I'm not looking for anything archaic.... But a few different things that come directly out of the current catalog...

1. Length of mast section S1060
2. Splice joint section for above
3. Length of BF-5 Spreader section

Charleston-NC directed me to a few distributors, all of which are well known. These guys have been met with the brick wall too… They simply CANNOT get any answers out of Sparcraft… To their credit, the distributors have really put in quite an effort too… tried all angles, personal contacts…. 7 months of calls and emails, and I’m no closer to my objective…

ANY thoughts would be helpful !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 14:13   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: BRICK WALL - Obtaining Sparcraft Extrusions

Since you are still in the negotiation phase, try an e-mail to the president of the company. State the parts you need, that it is a straightforward request, and outline each aspect you can document of the non response. Suggest that in this day of internet chatrooms and instant round the world communications, they may not want to have a customer as dissatisfied as you are about to be.

Follow it up in writing. "This is to confirm my e-mail of such and such a date, please respond to --- e mail address."

If still no good, then start visiting rigging shops all over So Cal, till you find something used that will do the trick for you, and then start a new thread with what happened (the data's all to hand) and ask for interested CF'ers to write to the company stating what they think of the whole situation. It is only sensible business practice to keep your customers happy.

There's another thread on now, about "Voracious Zitbag" company, beautifully written, and there's one I'd boycott for sure. And say why. But people gotta know about it to apply any small pressure.

Ann

Good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2015, 14:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Since you are still in the negotiation phase, try an e-mail to the president of the company. State the parts you need, that it is a straightforward request, and outline each aspect you can document of the non response. Suggest that in this day of internet chatrooms and instant round the world communications, they may not want to have a customer as dissatisfied as you are about to be.

Follow it up in writing. "This is to confirm my e-mail of such and such a date, please respond to --- e mail address."

If still no good, then start visiting rigging shops all over So Cal, till you find something used that will do the trick for you, and then start a new thread with what happened (the data's all to hand) and ask for interested CF'ers to write to the company stating what they think of the whole situation. It is only sensible business practice to keep your customers happy.

There's another thread on now, about "Voracious Zitbag" company, beautifully written, and there's one I'd boycott for sure. And say why. But people gotta know about it to apply any small pressure.

Ann

Good luck with it.
Heya Ann!

Thanks for the detailed, and quite helpful reply! I think you reinvigorated me to take a new angle at this... The initial investigation was an inquiry to Sparcraft... THEIR response was along the lines of:

You MUST... Deal with our distributors, the factory cannot help you...
"For parts contact company X"
"For a complete spar contact company Y"

Well... company X has been called, emailed, faxed a total of about 10 x ... Only one phone call was answered, and directed me to send in a list of requested parts.... The list was non responded to, as were the previous 5 lists...

Company Y eagerly quoted me a new spar, and the owner (I didn't know) even called me from the road... When questioned about parts, they said they could obtain them... But alas... The 5 or so repeated attempts have been "non-responses"

I called company Z, as they are another distributor... He mentioned something about transition-changeover-etc... But he knew a guy that would know... and all we had to do is wait for him to get back from France... Crickets... Nothing... But at least he emails back right away when I inquire... with the news of no news...

I think company Y and Z are real good people... "X" and "Y" EVERYBODY KNOWS... I met one of the owners of Y at the Miami show years ago...

So your idea of running up the chain with the parent company is my next route... I'll keep on them, mentioning the whole time about parts IN THEIR CURRENT catalog are UNOBTAINABLE at any price...

2nd hand rigs this size are a rare bird indeed... Although I do have a few leads and lookers... Unfortunately I'm in Mississippi full time, while my one boat is still hanging out in Marina del Rey... Not too many spar shops around here... (Memphis)

Thanks for the lead on the "Voracious Zitbag" thread... Imma go to school on that one...

Now put your feet up and tell Jim he's the bartender tonight...
Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2015, 16:25   #4

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

. I'll keep on them, mentioning the whole time about parts IN THEIR CURRENT catalog are UNOBTAINABLE at any price...
I got several of these types of answers when looking for my teeny tiny rig.

I still got my eBay search saved but haven't seen anything 75 feet long yet.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-02-2015, 16:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I got several of these types of answers when looking for my teeny tiny rig.

I still got my eBay search saved but haven't seen anything 75 feet long yet.

No doubt huh???

A) Question = I have money... Can I buy something in your catalog???

B) Answer = Not easily... Maaaaaaaaaybe if you try reeeeeeeeeeaaaly hard...

PS only 72ft... Maybe that'll help...

Old 02-02-2015, 17:23   #6

Quote:
Sorry to inform you but we do not carry anything small enough to help you
Above is copied and pasted from an email received from a spar supplier that is clearly advertising several cross sections that would fit my needs.

They would have made a sale, instead I bought a used one.

Good luck, happy

Old 03-02-2015, 05:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Above is copied and pasted from an email received from a spar supplier that is clearly advertising several cross sections that would fit my needs.

They would have made a sale, instead I bought a used one.

Good luck, happy

Well just be glad you weren't inquiring about condoms...

Old 03-02-2015, 07:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Well just be glad you weren't inquiring about condoms...
I'll have check my emails to be sure I didn't mix them up.

Old 04-02-2015, 14:03   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

About two years ago I did a RF mast to conventional mast conversion and the Sparcraft folks (aka Charleston Spar) could not have been more helpful!! Their chief engineer (Robert Yates) helped me with the structural modifications and spent a LOT of time assisting me. He and his parts guy (David Lively, IIRC) were super friendly and very responsive.

So I was shocked when I called for some spares last November and found out that Sparcraft Europe and USA were purchased by Wichard! They relocated/consolidated the business to another state and all the Sparcraft leadership was gone! Too bad for us. I like Wichard kit, but this has not worked for me. Their standard answer now is call Rig-Rite – which is another rant I don’t want to start here…. http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gif
SailorGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll have check my emails to be sure I didn't mix them up.
HA HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorGerry View Post
About two years ago I did a RF mast to conventional mast conversion and the Sparcraft folks (aka Charleston Spar) could not have been more helpful!! Their chief engineer (Robert Yates) helped me with the structural modifications and spent a LOT of time assisting me. He and his parts guy (David Lively, IIRC) were super friendly and very responsive.

So I was shocked when I called for some spares last November and found out that Sparcraft Europe and USA were purchased by Wichard! They relocated/consolidated the business to another state and all the Sparcraft leadership was gone! Too bad for us. I like Wichard kit, but this has not worked for me. Their standard answer now is call Rig-Rite – which is another rant I don’t want to start here…. http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gif
Gerry,

Thanks for the awesome POST!
You would think that these guys (Robert/David) would be still impassioned to help a fellow sailor out... I just think the whole line of communication and corporate helmsmanship is leaving them completely out of the loop...

These are great leads, and I think I will try and sneak in the back door so to speak... I am on day 3 of awaiting a response from Charleston with the suggested letter from Ann's post... I've mentioned the non response issues, made my parts request by catalog page number... And mentioned casually that I'm active on a few sailing/cruising forums...

Maybe they are still having teething pains with the transition... In the Meantime... I don't mind other ideas!

Yea.. Don't start me on Rig-Rite either... They are company X in this thread....

Old 05-02-2015, 06:23   #11

Boat: 44 footer

When I run into this type thing, I call and ask to be connected with an engineer or shop manager, not a sales guy.

Ask for design drawings and prints of what you need, and then, while you've got the guy that is in charge of designing them on the phone... ask about the lead time on having one commissioned. And who you need to have do the machine work.

Though it looks like that position is open: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/12670893

Have you tried Wichard America out of Annapolis?

Customer service: Dianna Patnode 148a Bryce Blvd
Fairfax, VT 05454
Tel: (401) 683-5055 ext: 221
Fax: (802) 655-4689
Email: sales@wichard-usa.com

Technical service:

Tel: (401) 683-5055 ext: 226
Fax: (410) 280-2160
Email: sales@wichard-usa.com

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:52   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

Quote:
You would think that these guys (Robert/David) would be still impassioned to help a fellow sailor out...
Happy - Good idea but I don't believe they're around anymore. The last word I got from the new guard was that Robert had retired, and David was no longer
with the Company. That tends to happen when you move/consolidate the business. Robert had been with Sparcraft since it's early days in California, then started Charleston Spar, then joined with Sparcraft again in a acquisition ~6 years ago. I'm not sure where operations are today??
SailorGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:29   #13

Forget about them!! Contact lefiell. They make spars for everything and supply new to Catalina and others. They even had aluminum replacements for my Formosa 41.
Gypsydjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:38   #14

I had great luck recently with Forespar. A 30+ year old mast on a Norseman 447. I wrote them asking if they had replacement spreaders. They responded the next day with "Certainly." Took them a week to make them for a lot less money than I spent trying to get the old ones fixed. I was amazed at their configuration control; they had every measurement and part number for the rig.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:43   #15
cruiser

How's it going? Tell "Nervine" hello

Contact Kevin at Stix-n-Rig'n in Houston TX Home

He is def connected - we just got parts etc from him this last haulout (May last). If Kevin doesn't have it he will know where to go
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc