Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 13:32   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Brian Toss Splicing Wand

Does anyone have any experience with the Brian Toss Slicing Wand? The idea is great, but I have never met anyone who used it. Using splicing fids, and snaking through and milking the cover gets to be frustrating, especially when you only do it occasionally. The blisters and rope burns, etc.

If experienced, how would the large one work with smaller line. It is rated 3/8" to 3/4", I think, but would like to know if working with 3/8" is difficult.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:51   #2

Re: Brian Toss Splicing Wand

I absolutely LOVE my splicing wands. I suggest getting a couple different sizes, although the 'ratings' are indeed valid. Also get some extra nooses - I find the noose to be the Achilles' Heel of these things.

You'll find that there's less in the size of the line than the way it's braided/laid up.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:53   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Yes, I really like them. It is much easier than a fid for the kinds of full strength splices where there is more material inside the cover than when you start. I do not remember what line sizes I've used it with (it was halyards on a 40' boat, so probably more like 1/2" instead of 3/8").

It also works really well for those fast and weak cheating splices where there is no doubled up rope inside the cover or milking-- the kind you might do for sail ties in ~1/4" line.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

I like using the Toss wand. It makes sense to pull, rather than drag a line through. Using the larger wand on smaller lines does not work well, as the there isn't enough slack in the outer braids. If you are only going to buy one, I'd get a smaller one. It can still be used on larger lines, within reason.
Old 05-02-2012, 17:57   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I made myself one out of a piece of 3mm (1/8") stainless tube... it works fins and cost pennies. I also have used a good old-fahioned darning needle to splice small diamter braids (4mm polyester cover / Spectra core, for example). Never actually used the Toss wand though, heh.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:13   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Great tool! I did a continuous line furler splice in about 10 minutes as opposed to an hour with fids etc.

You can use the smaller wand for larger ropes but not vice versa.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:43   #7

Boat: Roberts, Offshore 44
You can make your own snars out of spectra fishing line, 80 lb test works well. You can also make your own using wire. Coat hangers, though not the painted ones, the paint will chip off and than snag the yarns, for the larger sizes down to 0.030" for the small stuff like 1.7 mm spectra. A 1/4" thimble on one end makes it easy to hold onto or to hook onto something and pull down on it. While Brian's design is very elegant, you really don't even need the tube. The bent over wire will slide right along, seldom snagging on yarns.
Valkyrie654 is offline   Reply With Quote