Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-12-2009, 14:46   #16
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
On the knots versus shackles arguments, one must remember why OH&S type publications mandate shackles.

Shackles can be tested and manufactured to set standards and thus such "rated" hardware becomes a fixed known standard.

The tying of knots OTH is more subjective and cannot be controlled by the writers on the manuals and therefore remain an unknown value.

However, a well tied knot (and appropriately de-rated) would be IMO better than an unknown non-rated shackle.

If you can trust your own knots to secure your boat and take the enormous loads on running rigging, you should be confident going aloft on a knot, but if you are unsure of your ability with knots, go for "rated" hardware.

Knots are cheaper but only if done properly .

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 15:45   #17

Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
I have gone up my mast to 85Ft in running seas with only minimal bruising despite 10 ft swings.
Ahhhhh! When we cruised the Caribbean we had a boatswain's chair. I used it once, at anchor, in calm seas, 52' mast. It worked fine; the masthead lights got replaced; and like a lot of boat things, the equipment was better than the sailor. I don't ever want to do that again. If it's not an emergency, hire someone - preferably from AS - what is that? American Samoa?

"There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats."

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 16:10   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Knot, someone else...

When I got my lazy jacks and steaming light done I hired a professional rigger.

He secured his bosuns chair to the jib halyard with a knot, then climbed the shrouds using feet, legs, arms and hands. I'd have taken a photo but permission was refused.

I took the slack on the halyard using the winch as directed. The bosuns chair was for safety and resting only.

Expensive, but worth every penny.
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 16:15   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
To clarify I meant tie a short line encircling my waist and the mast.
That would help with prevention of brusing from seas, but imho would be a hazard otherwise.

Even if you only fell 3 or 4 feet and got stopped abruptly with a line around your waist, you would be in deep doo doo (possibly paralyzed) AND hanging halfway up the mast!

No thanks. If I fell, I'd rather be in deep doo doo on the deck.
"I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned,
but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

-Thomas Sowell
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 05:10   #20

Boat: Angela M. Bayfield 32c
I read a story somewhere of a couple at sea, husband went aloft, tied a safety, had a heart attack and passed away while still at the mast head.
Wife spent the next five days motoring to port with no way of getting her husband down.

billangiep is offline   Reply With Quote

bosun chair

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: