Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 22:58   #1

Boat: 32' Cutter
Boom Vang vs Rod Kicker - Getting Rid of Topping Lift

Howdy all,

I hope my terminology is right. I have just ordered new cruising sails for my boat and would like to remove my "topping lift" to avoid chafe on my new investment. Right now there isn't even a boom vang rigged up so I thought maybe I could instal a rod kicker and ditch the "topping lift" is there any reason I should not proceed with this. Thanks in advance.
LucasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 23:14   #2

Re: Boom vang VS rod kicker getting rid of topping lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasM View Post
Howdy all,

I hope my terminology is right. I have just ordered new cruising sails for my boat and would like to remove my "topping lift" to avoid chafe on my new investment. Right now there isn't even a boom vang rigged up so I thought maybe I could instal a rod kicker and ditch the "topping lift" is there any reason I should not proceed with this. Thanks in advance.
Having recently done the same myself, the only reason I can think of not to do it is cost.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 23:46   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I was looking at getting one and the cost kept going up since I have an older boat I have a sliding gooseneck on a track and the boom is free to rotate on the pin to the gooseneck. You can't have either of those features with a solid vang. I decided it was too much money to convert and gave up.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 01:15   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

The simplest solution is to just put a halyard shackle on the bottom of the topping lift and remove it once the main is up. Attatch it to the back stay or other aft position. $5 and the problem is solved.

Of course you have to remember to reattach it when you drop the main. But you will only forget once The bruise on your head will remind you to do that next time.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
The simplest solution is to just put a halyard shackle on the bottom of the topping lift and remove it once the main is up. Attatch it to the back stay or other aft position. $5 and the problem is solved.

Of course you have to remember to reattach it when you drop the main. But you will only forget once The bruise on your head will remind you to do that next time.
He also said he has no boomvang at all right now. So a solid one would kill two birds with one stone.
Old 28-09-2011, 09:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

I was thinking about this too. Are there any disadvantages to removing the boom topping lift and using the main halyard? I really don't like having this and having it either too tight, too loose, caught in a batten or bashing against the sail!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:33   #7

Boat: 32' Cutter

Thanks everyone.
I just got back from my local sailors exchange. (used stuff) I couldn't find any used rigids but I did manage to put together a frankenstien 4:1 vang system using a varity of old blocks and some scraped old halyard for under $30. Thank you Ozskipper I will instigate your quick release technique with care. If after a few test runs I'm still not satisfied I think I will attemt to construct a rigid myself. Leading to my next question.............
LucasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
I was thinking about this too. Are there any disadvantages to removing the boom topping lift and using the main halyard? I really don't like having this and having it either too tight, too loose, caught in a batten or bashing against the sail!
Yes. Every time you lower the main sail, the boom will crash into the cockpit.
Old 28-09-2011, 09:43   #9

not if you have a boom gallows

is the topping lift required if a gallows is installed?
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:49   #10

Never had an issue with the topping lift wearing a sail. It's simple, cheap and forgiving. when you hoist the sail the boom lifts and it slacks off without adjustment and trails behind the leech. I suppose if you try to sail in real ight air it may flop around a bit, but easily adjusted out. By then I've got the iron reacher on.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:58   #11

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

You have an extra line to the masthead and you want to remove it? Could come in handy someday if you just leave it there. Extra halyards are a nice thing when one chafes through or you want an extra safety line while going up the mast. There are probably more reasons to want an extra line to the masthead but those two are pretty good all by themselves.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 10:11   #12

Re: not if you have a boom gallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.sail View Post
is the topping lift required if a gallows is installed?
Not necessarily, but you're going to banging the boom on the gallows when hoisting and lowering.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 10:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Yes. Every time you lower the main sail, the boom will crash into the cockpit.
I have rigid vang, so this is not a problem. From what I can tell, the boom topping lift keeps the boom off the dodger/bimini. The main halyard would do the same thing with less complexity.

Others have pointed out that the extra lead to the mast is a good thing. Mine is a cable attached at the top of the mast with slack adjustment at the end of the boom.

I'm still thinking I can do without the boom topping lift.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 10:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Never had an issue with the topping lift wearing a sail. It's simple, cheap and forgiving. when you hoist the sail the boom lifts and it slacks off without adjustment and trails behind the leech. I suppose if you try to sail in real ight air it may flop around a bit, but easily adjusted out. By then I've got the iron reacher on.....
All was well with the old sail, but I recently had a new one made and the trend these days is to extend the leech. The new leech overlapped the topping lift by a couple of inches or more and hung up on every tack unless the wind was strong. I could see how this would cause wear eventually. Deleting the topping lift was my solution as I already had the solid vang.
Old 28-09-2011, 10:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
I have rigid vang, so this is not a problem. From what I can tell, the boom topping lift keeps the boom off the dodger/bimini. The main halyard would do the same thing with less complexity.

Others have pointed out that the extra lead to the mast is a good thing. Mine is a cable attached at the top of the mast with slack adjustment at the end of the boom.

I'm still thinking I can do without the boom topping lift.
Don
Oh I see, yes if you have a rigid vang the topping lift is pretty much an annoyance. But if you have a rigid vang why do you need to lift the boom with the main halyard?

Tags
boom vang, kicker